Chapala.com Webboard

Dictionario

mjohncoady

I have a Spanish-English dictionary that is inadequate to say the least. Many of the translations inaccurate. Any suggestions for a good (accurate) one? Doesn't have to be the equivalent of the OED, abridged to everyday words is fine. I also wonder if there might be one available that is oriented to Mexican Spanish? :D

I have one that I really like that has pictures of nearly everything you can imagine. It is not Mexican Spanish, but at least I can take it in to a place and show them what something is if I'm not confident that the Spanish word will be the same. I bought mine from Amazon, and it is like this one (below), but not exactly the same. (Since I am NOB and it is SOB, I can't give you the exact title until next week)

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Picture-Dicti...9269715&sr=8-40

I have a Spanish-English dictionary that is inadequate to say the least. Many of the translations inaccurate. Any suggestions for a good (accurate) one? Doesn't have to be the equivalent of the OED, abridged to everyday words is fine. I also wonder if there might be one available that is oriented to Mexican Spanish? :D

The first dictionary I purchased was the "ever so safe" Mirriam-Webster's so called pocketbook edition. What an incredible waste of money!! I couldn't believe the errors, both from the English and Spanish point of view. Mi amiga Veronica (MexArt in Riberas) thought it was un libro de bromas (a joke book). I donated that one to the worthy cause of someone that couldn't afford anything and still felt guilty.

I was gun-shy as I purchased my next dictionary: The University of Chicago, Spanish-English/English-Spanish/Espańol-Inglés/Inglés-Espańol Diccionario

Publisher: Pocket Books (Kangaroo Trademark)

It was half the price (U.S. $6, SuperLake 110p), half the size and MUCH higher quality. It is a generic Spanish, not Mexican, but Veronica says it is excellent and covets it each time I pull it out.

One area where I find the UofC dictionary shines is in Examples . Given the word "Come" in English, it starts with venir, but goes on to give 25 different uses including colloquial/idiomatic (modismo) usage.

For example:

English-Come, Vi venir; (have an orgasm) fam venirse... and then the 25 examples.

Also in this small book are good sections on grammar, 50 most common verbs with most used tenses, pronunciation, spelling, etc.

>>> :014: <<< That's me saying "por favor, mas despacio!" I think it was the first phase I learned after "Dos tacos, uno cerveza y donde es la bano?" Of course now I say "Dos taco de pollo, uno estrello, y donde es el sanitario?" What a difference a year makes! :lol:

A really good, easy-to-use Spanish dictionary is the Harper Collins Spanish Beginner's Dictionary, second edition. To order or look up on line ($9.95 US) the ISBN is 978-0-06-074916-3.

It's two color, has about 35,000 entries the format uses a new line for each translation, AND (best part) shows has clear examples (in the source language AND the target language) of how to use possible meanings and expressions. It also lists some grammatical notes when common irregularities in usage exist.

A more comprehensive, but intricate, decent choice is the Oxford Spanish Dictionary. The pocketbook versions, while lighter, obviously have to trim entries, thereby curtailing their usability.

Guest irolbackwards
"Dos tacos, uno cerveza y donde es la bano?" Of course now I say "Dos taco de pollo, uno estrello, y donde es el sanitario?" What a difference a year makes!

Sweet DeGimp,

Donde esta....

places are esta, condition, direction

places people are from is es

Someone else can explain it better than me.

Not saying this is a perfect dictionary by any means, but it is helpful online

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

deGimp,

I found the dictionary at Superlake for a mere $80, which seems reasonable to me. I like it so far but I haven't really tested it. My Spanish teacher has given me an assignment to keep a bitácora for my trip north and I am certain it will get a workout from that. She will be the final judge of the appropriateness of the definitions, I guess. I will let you know how I fare. Thanks again.

By the way, irollbackwards, be careful of babelfish. It does not handle idioms well--actually not at all--it gives literal translations which are gibberish in the other language. It seems accurate for other translations, however.

The first dictionary I purchased was the "ever so safe" Mirriam-Webster's so called pocketbook edition.

I have two Merriam-Webster paperback dictionaries, one for the house and the other for the car.

I don't know if the "pocketbook edition" you we're dissatisfied with is a distinctly different version, but I have been quite happy with mine, and I've used quite a few over the last 50 years.

This is a 740 page paperback edition and includes many phrases as well as the individual words. It is a Latin American focused dictionary.

If this is the same that is causing others consternation, I respectfully disagree.

For more advanced Spanish speakers (like me), I also recommend a 100% spanish pocket dictionary as to take out the "lost in translation" element.

"Dos tacos, uno cerveza y donde es la bano?" Of course now I say "Dos taco de pollo, uno estrello, y donde es el sanitario?" What a difference a year makes!

Sweet DeGimp,

Donde esta....

places are esta, condition, direction

places people are from is es

Someone else can explain it better than me.

Not saying this is a perfect dictionary by any means, but it is helpful online

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

It's está, not esta. Esta means this in English (feminine).

As to the usage of ESTAR VS SER, I find a useful, and simple, way of looking at it as:

Estar - a "temporal" condition. Something that can change like the weather, location and so on.

Ser - a fundamental element of the object being described; i.e. El es hombro (he's a man, and he always will be one)

So again, it's a potential temporary state versus a permanent state.

But it isn't and you know that don't you! I tried to provide a simple concept of the different verb to ease confusion. There are always exceptions to the rule.

I quit.

Nit-pick, nit-pick. Like others, I too have found the "spirit" gone out of this site.

Try to help out and it doesn't take long for someone to slap you down or become argumentative.

Bookmark, Delete!

Ser o parecer...

quien te imaginas

No me puede hacer la dueña de tu vida

Si no me miras, baby.

Sorry you didn't like my comments Chandler. But I didn't consider them nit-picking. I didn't think I slapped you down and was not argumentative in my post.

Ser/estar is pretty complex.

My Spanish isn't great, for sure. I have a Mexican friend I speak with frequently, and he corrects me on my use of estar and ser. Sometimes I have said I thought something would be estar because it wasn't really permanent, but have been corrected.

I said someone "esta el jefe" because this week he is in charge. Nope, "es el jefe" even if it is just for today. Or so he told me.

And "esta muerto", not "es muerto" I was told. And I thought dead was pretty permanent.

Some native Spanish speakers have as much trouble with "make" and "do" as I do with estar/ser.

Archived