Chapala.com Webboard

Catalina Dressing

ComputerGuy

I love salad dressings... when I was young, my folks often made spinach salad with Catalina or Creamy French. With those huge containers of baby spinach at CostCo, I am once again making a lot of that salad... but Catalina from Kraft is imported and very costly. So why not make my own, right? Looking up recipes on the Web, I came across several sites that refer to is as the "classic '60s dressing".

I had no idea a salad dressing could be considered a flash from the past, but it turns out of course that things like Green Goddess and Roquefort fall right in with original Ranch as a kind-of historically significant marker in the bottled dressings world. And there is quite a bit of discussion online about "French" dressing and how different it is in different parts of the world, including statements like "in the U.S., it's closer to Italian" and is a vinaigrettte. My substitute for Catalina was always Creamy French... very similar, and both originally from Kraft, but not a vinaigrette.

I am makiing a chicken dish tomorrow that started out using Milani French dressing.  That is long gone from the shelves so I finally found Classic Catalina dressing, made by Kraft and others.  It is an excellent substitute.

I can only find it in Florida when I visit there, which is not  often, but I buy a few bottles that last for a couple of years..  I am about to use my last bottle.  I guess I may have to get to Florida.  I rarely leave Mexico so I guess a trip will soon be necessary.  AGGGHHH.

That's the clone... this recipe that I will be trying uses half the sugar. But don't be fooled: the amount of sugar in most bottled dressings, especially creamy ones and those made with dairy products, is just as bad. http://www.food.com/recipe/1960s-catalina-dressing-33561

I remember Catalina dressing from my childhood but not so much the details. I wouldn't have put it on spinach because I didn't like spinach! I have a good recipe for Russian dressing which is the preferred one used on Reuben sandwiches. Corned beef and to a lesser extent, pastrami, is very available around here lakeside, along with true NY rye bread at SuperLake. 

2/3 C mayo, 3 T ketchup, 1 T prepared horseradish, 1 t Worcestershire sauce (Lee & Perrins--don't scrimp!), s&p to taste.

Archived