Chapala.com Webboard

Keifer water

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know about Jun? It is somewhat of a variation on kombucha and kefir that does not use sugar, only honey. I had been brewing this in Canada but forgot my little scoby to continue here in Ajijic. Any leads on who might be able to help with acquiring a Jun scoby would be appreciated .

Here's the recipe I was using....

Brewing Jun

Jun tea is still relatively rare and unknown.  Jun mother cultures also do not reliably produce daughter cultures like Kombucha does.  You can purchase authentic Jun cultures online (mine is from Kombucha Kamp and you can find them here), or if you’re lucky enough to know someone who brews Jun, he or she may gift a daughter culture to you.

Jun Tea

Jun tea, like kombucha, is an effervescent probiotic drink. Jun is mild and delicate with a pleasantly tart flavor and a mild sweetness. It's lovely served over ice, or with crushed berries stirred in. To brew future batches of Jun tea, reserve ½ cup of the finished tea from your first batch and reserve the mother to start future batches of the tea.

Serves: ½ gallon

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Bring water to 165 F in a kettle. While the water comes to temperature, sprinkle the looseleaf green tea into a large jar or pitcher. Pour the hot water over the tea and allow it to steep for 2 minutes. Strain the tea through a fine-mesh sieve into your fermentation vessel (I use this one.). Pour in the honey, and stir it until it dissolves completely in the tea. Allow the tea to cool to room temperature, 65 to 75 F, then dump the Jun culture into the jar and pour in the Jun tea. Allow the tea to ferment for 3 days at room temperature.

2. After three days, the Jun tea should smell pleasantly sour and faintly sweet. Carefully remove the Jun culture and ½ cup Jun tea from the top of the jar, and dump them into a waiting jar. The Jun culture and tea are now ready for you to prepare a second batch of Jun.

3. Pour the remaining Jun tea into 4 pint-sized flip-top bottles (available here, seal the bottles tightly and allow the Jun to ferment a second time for 2 to 3 days. After 2 to 3 days, your Jun tea is ready to drink. Place the bottles in the refrigerator to chill, or serve the Jun right away. Keep in mind that, like kombucha, Jun will fizz and foam when you open the bottles, so take care to open them over a sink.

Link=http://nourishedkitchen.com/how-to-make-jun-tea/

Archived