Chapala.com Webboard

Best places to buy your medication

joanne

Have tried the online search for Farmacia Guadalajara, Similares,  and Walmart with few results. Am looking for Lisinopril 20 mg., Diltiazem 240mg. (Angiotrofin Retard in Mexico) and Hydrochlorothyazide ( a diuretic) 12.5 mgs. These are all blood pressure meds BTW.

Does anyone reading this take any of these or know where these can be purchased?

Thank you.

Why you are looking for these online? Where are you living in Mexico? Or are you anticipating visiting or moving to Mexico? If the latter, I think it is certainly good to check ahead, but as the other posters noted, these particular Rx's are easy to get, at least in the Lake Chapala area. One does need a prescription in most (not all) pharmacies, so it is important to check in with a doctor here. My experience is that one can't get Rx's shipped from the US into Mexico.

8 minutes ago, JayBearII said:

Why you are looking for these online? Where are you living in Mexico? Or are you anticipating visiting or moving to Mexico? If the latter, I think it is certainly good to check ahead, but as the other posters noted, these particular Rx's are easy to get, at least in the Lake Chapala area. One does need a prescription in most (not all) pharmacies, so it is important to check in with a doctor here. My experience is that one can't get Rx's shipped from the US into Mexico.

I have had 90 day prescriptions sent via Sol y Luna a few times. Problem is customs opens the package and all I got was a bottle of pills. No paperwork. I'm not okay with that as I don't know for sure if I am still getting the medication I ordered when anyone can open the pills.

Should you find yourself in PV on holiday, we have another generic chain called Medisim.They are sometimes even cheaper than Similares and on Mondays they give a 25% discount. Many locations. I was advised to stock up as prices will be going up substantially by year end due to the weak peso.

You can buy all that without a prescription in almost any of the drugstores here.  You may have trouble getting the 12.5 HCTZ. most stock 25s.

Get a pill cutter for a $1 or so

A lot of times one size up will be almost the same price as the smaller sizes

Prices vary.  You may get one at a good price in one place, another at another place.

I use Farmacia Christina that is the shopping center with El Toroto.  They will order anything you need and they stock well. 

I can only assume that you are either price comparing or checking availability. However, if you are home bound and may need your meds delivered, you may want to check with some of the small pharmacies to see if they may provide home delivery. Do you have a doctor coming to your home? Many will do home visits and they be able to bring you your meds. As others have said, local pharmacies are competitively priced. So if you can get around, shopping around is the best way to go.

Either way, here are a couple of other options for online shopping;

https://www.farmalisto.com.mx/ will mail your meds to your home. You can pay with a debit card or credit card OR they will ship COD. They are good for hard to find meds. I have used them and they are trustworthy and have fast delivery. They have some requirements, so Spanish speaking is a must if you call. The web site explains how home delivery works.

There is also http://farmaciasespecializadas.com/ . They too have home delivery. Check their requirements on their web page. 

And finally, if you are looking for a place to research your meds, you can go to; http://www.medicamentos.com.mx/ . I found this web site very helpful to find the different name brands for the same meds, and more. You have to sign up and I think you need to be in the medical field in order to have access. You are a student at the University of Guadalajara, aren't you?  

Good luck to you and blessings. Hope you feel better.

I think so, definitely in Chapala. There are two stores on the main street of Chapala. The best one is across, just before the bus station, towards the Ajijic direction. The other one thinks they are gypsy traders. Print out the specials from the internet - they are often cheaper than the 25% off anyways. The one I recommend is (supposed to) open at 8 am. There is currently a prescription doctor (typically a recent graduate) right next door, who will write a prescription for 30 pesos. Don't go on a Monday Market day, unless you get there real early. Their website is kind of clunky, but once you get a printout, you are good to go. Some doctors are nervous about the quality of generics, if you have to go in for anything surgical, they may ask you to switch to a name brand.

I am not going to look it up for you. I notice that More Liana's post that INAPAM gets 25% off at Farmacia Similares (in Jalisco at least). I forget what the rule is to get this card. You have to be permanente I believe? When you are here, maybe you can find a friend with an INAPAM card.

By the way, when you are here, visit a top cardiologist for 500 to 650 pesos. There are new drugs now for blood pressure, some of them are only sold in Europe and Latin America at this time. There are also many more generics than the U.S.A.

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I think so, definitely in Chapala. There are two stores on the main street of Chapala. The best one is across, just before the bus station, towards the Ajijic direction. The other one thinks they are gypsy traders. Print out the specials from the internet - they are often cheaper than the 25% off anyways. The one I recommend is (supposed to) open at 8 am. There is currently a prescription doctor (typically a recent graduate) right next door, who will write a prescription for 30 pesos. Don't go on a Monday Market day, unless you get there real early. Their website is kind of clunky, but once you get a printout, you are good to go. Some doctors are nervous about the quality of generics, if you have to go in for anything surgical, they may ask you to switch to a name brand.

The Farmacia Similares generics are the generics sold everywhere, meaning they don't make their own. It does sell its own Dr. Semi vitamins and other non-medicines. 

5 hours ago, joanne said:

Does anyone have any idea of what a month's supply of each of these drugs would cost? Again, they are Lisinopril 20mgs., Angiotrofin Retard (Diltiazem) 240 mgs.

and Hydroclorothiazide  25 mgs. All BP meds, BTW.

Thank you.

Farmacia Similares, Lisinopril 10mg, 28 tablets, 2 for $85.

https://farmaciasdesimilares.com/#!/busqueda/781/lisinopril-tab

Diltiazem, 30 mg., 30 tablets, 

https://farmaciasdesimilares.com/#!/busqueda/523/diltiazem-tab

I couldn't find  Hydroclorothiazide   is it Hydrochlorothiazide? Scratch that it is  HIDROCLOROTIAZIDA TAB, 25 mg., 20 tablets, $22.

https://farmaciasdesimilares.com/#!/busqueda/2122/hidroclorotiazida-tab

Angiotrofin retard 240 is best priced well below any place in Ajijic at Soriana if you sign up for their points card.  They have it only a day  or two a week with limited supply available.

The Ajijic faramacias are pirates when priciing this .

I have never found farmacia Christina to have the best prices on most drugs.

It is important to shop around for meds you take regularly. I was paying $800 pesos a month at Walmart for three meds. When I moved to Chapala, I began buying at Farmacia Guadalajara in my neighborhood. I now spend $250 pesos a month for the same three meds. This is not true for all meds though, so find the least expensive option for you. 

For years, we used Farmacia Ahuacatlan, on Hidalgo a block west of the main intersection, on the north side of the street.  They stocked the largest assortment of generics, were well stocked and would deliver, etc. They were almost always more economical than others.

It is true that almost everything is more expensive in Ajijic; sometimes as much as 40%.  Shopping in Jocotopec or Chapala will save you money, as will a trip to Guadalajara for large purchases.  Always avoid shopping in any area, anywhere in the world, that is frequented by large numbers of expats and/or tourists.

46 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

For years, we used Farmacia Ahuacatlan, on Hidalgo a block west of the main intersection, on the north side of the street.  They stocked the largest assortment of generics, were well stocked and would deliver, etc. They were almost always more economical than others.

It is true that almost everything is more expensive in Ajijic; sometimes as much as 40%.  Shopping in Jocotopec or Chapala will save you money, as will a trip to Guadalajara for large purchases.  Always avoid shopping in any area, anywhere in the world, that is frequented by large numbers of expats and/or tourists.

They are no longer there but there is other staff and owner running it now.

Archived