Chapala.com Webboard

Foreign ATM cards in Mexico - acceptability of

Bill Hely

A question for SmartTraveller (or any other Australians in the area)...

I'm wondering about the usefulness of my existing ATM cards, and since you may be familiar with Australian banks...

I have Visa Debit cards from Heritage Bank and Suncorp, and a Coles MasterCard (credit card).

Should I make other arrangements before coming over?

Much of the basics apply wherever you are traveling outside your home country, so I'll state those. Hopefully there are some Aussies who can provide info specific to your country.

The basics, as you stated: 2 bank cards (in case something happens with one of them) and a Mastercard or Visa. Make sure you speak to Visa and Mastercard and your banks so that there is a note on your file stating that you will be traveling in Mexico (and wherever else). Check your withdrawal limits and have them raised if necessary. Mexico is a cash-based economy, so you will not be using your credit cards much, but in the unlikely event that you suffer an illness or accident, the hospitals like to see a credit card. Hotels and very large chain stores take them, too.

Also get some pesos through your banks before you go. Your ATMs may work in the bank machines here, but don't count on it. Check with your banks. (If you are traveling thru the US or another intermediate country, you may want a little of that currency also.)

On 25/10/2016 at 2:45 AM, Bill Hely said:

A question for SmartTraveller (or any other Australians in the area)...

I'm wondering about the usefulness of my existing ATM cards, and since you may be familiar with Australian banks...

I have Visa Debit cards from Heritage Bank and Suncorp, and a Coles MasterCard (credit card).

Should I make other arrangements before coming over?

Hi Bill

I use CBA, ANZ  & Aussie credit/debit cards & my CBA ATM card here with no problems.  Generally I use HSBC or Banamex terminals and the fee is 30 - 33 pesos ($AUD 2.20 or so) per transaction.  That said, I have been charged up to 100 pesos per transaction (generally ATMs within OXXOs - the Mexican version of 7 11) in tourist areas like Puerto Vallarta)

Of course your bank sock will sock you on the forex fee later so it will be a matter of working out which is better/cheaper. I also used to use Scotiabank for the same sort of fee but they recently changed their ATM in Ajijic to one that swallows your card for the duration of the transaction and I try to avoid those.  The HSBC terminal also does that but it is not a standalone terminal - it is inside the bank so I figure would be easier to retrieve if the machine swallows your card. :-) . I like HSBC and Banamex terminals because they also give you some smaller value notes (20, 50, 100 peso) - essential to transactions here...a fistful of 500 peso notes is hard to use.

If you card has Cirrus or Maestro logos on it, you should be fine. The bank fees, you'll have to figure that out by trial and error with your particular banks.

Also check with Heritage and Suncorp to see if they have any alliances with overseas banks that are here - the fees will be less or nil.  eg I think Bankwest (now owned by CBA) have an alliance with Scotiabank which means there are no/reduced fees...   I think Westpac do too.  My partner uses Scotiabank as he can get money out with no fees on his CIBC account (Canadian) and when in Australia, my partner gets money out of his CIBC account thru Westpac at no fees.  Work these bank alliances!

Cash - buy some pesos ( a few thousand) at the USA airport (even if the exchange rate is crappy) from which you depart to Mexico so you have some on arrival. See if they can give you some small notes. Mexico is pretty much a cash society.  You can use your cards at most (but not all!) hotels, some stores and restaurants but cash is king and using big notes is always difficult as people dont have change.

Do tell your banks you will be here - thats most important so your card wont get blocked.

Hope that helps...

Archived