Chapala.com Webboard

Scotiabank ATM card

dearle

Good news for those who have Scotiabank ATM/ABM cards. I've been fighting with Scotiabank's Mexico City H.O. and the Zone Manager in Guadalajara since 2011, about putting a second ATM somewhere in Ajijic/Chapala. The only ATM here by Domino's is either out of money or out of service way to often. I didn't think I was asking too much.

Well, I received an email dated October22nd, from the GDL Zone Manager and was informed that they have worked out an arrangement with OXXO to install ATMs in all their stores in Mexico. 

Now finally, there will be an option as to where to use the Scotiabank card.

• 1 month later...
On 2016-10-24 at 9:01 PM, dearle said:

Good news for those who have Scotiabank ATM/ABM cards. I've been fighting with Scotiabank's Mexico City H.O. and the Zone Manager in Guadalajara since 2011, about putting a second ATM somewhere in Ajijic/Chapala. The only ATM here by Domino's is either out of money or out of service way to often. I didn't think I was asking too much.

Well, I received an email dated October22nd, from the GDL Zone Manager and was informed that they have worked out an arrangement with OXXO to install ATMs in all their stores in Mexico. 

Now finally, there will be an option as to where to use the Scotiabank card.

Does anyone have any updated info on whether Scotiabank will be adding new machines as indicated in this post? It would be helpful to know for when we do our accommodation planning in Ajijic or Chapala. The only ATM that shows up on a Google Map search is the one located on the highway next to Walmart. Are there any others?

1 hour ago, cerveza por favor said:

Does anyone have any updated info on whether Scotiabank will be adding new machines as indicated in this post? It would be helpful to know for when we do our accommodation planning in Ajijic or Chapala. The only ATM that shows up on a Google Map search is the one located on the highway next to Walmart. Are there any others?

No, that is the only one.  The Banorte machines in the few Oxxos Lakeside with ATM's have either been removed or now are non-functional...suggesting that some sort of change may be in the air, maybe this is it?  This will also be good for Schwab customers who will have more convenient locations to use their fee-free cards as well.

The Scotiabank machine that is by Walmart is still the only one that I know of, but, the actual machine has been replaced with a newer model that now allows us to take out larger amounts at one time. (I know some folks were always able to do this, but with our Canadian Scotiabank card we were never able to take more than 3000 pesos at a time since 2007, but now can with the new machine - don't know the limit, but we have withdrawn 5000 no problem).  I think that probably the machine holds more cash, and therefore won't be running out so frequently.  That is a bonus.  And it is not as far out on the 'highway' as it may appear on maps of the area. Ajijic blends right into La Floresta and that in turn runs right up to Walmart. I certainly wouldn't let location of an ATM determine where to look for housing. There are many options for ATMs in the area, some will charge you a fee, but the fee is a set rate, so if you take out larger amounts less frequently it isn't really a problem.

2 hours ago, phxfunguy said:

No, that is the only one.  The Banorte machines in the few Oxxos Lakeside with ATM's have either been removed or now are non-functional...suggesting that some sort of change may be in the air, maybe this is it?  This will also be good for Schwab customers who will have more convenient locations to use their fee-free cards as well.

I'd guess a change, because a lot of people use the corner-store ATMs to send money, to pay for online purchases, and various other tasks.

As for the Scotia machine dispensing more money, many people didn't realize that the "maximum" was a "per use" limit, not a daily limit. I could always take out 4,000 three times in a row, by starting a new transaction each time.

But that wasn't the case for everyone, ComputerGuy.  It was a daily limit, not a per use limit on our cards, and not imposed by my 'home' bank because we had the limit increased but that had no affect here. We tried starting a separate transaction. Did not work.  When we were doing some construction and needed to get a large amount of cash we took both my wife's card and mine and went every day for cash to build up the required amount. As I said, now there is a higher limit, but don't know how high it is. And maybe the OP's card would have worked anyway.

I have a Scotiabank card, and have used the ATM by Domino's fee-free ever since I moved down here.  Yesterday I went, and when the screen came up asking about the insurance for 95 pesos, I clicked on 'No' as usual.  It ended the transaction, and no money was dispensed.  I started again, did the same thing, and it still ended the transaction.  Does anyone know if we are going to have to pay that fee from now on?  If so, then what is the point of using your Scotiabank card at the Scotiabank ATM?  I ended up walking across the road and went to CI Banco.

59 minutes ago, stuphel said:

But that wasn't the case for everyone, ComputerGuy.  It was a daily limit, not a per use limit on our cards, and not imposed by my 'home' bank because we had the limit increased but that had no affect here. We tried starting a separate transaction. Did not work.  When we were doing some construction and needed to get a large amount of cash we took both my wife's card and mine and went every day for cash to build up the required amount. As I said, now there is a higher limit, but don't know how high it is. And maybe the OP's card would have worked anyway.

What can I say. There was a daily limit of 12,000 from the machine for me, not from my Scotia account. Don't see why it would be different for anyone else, but who knows?

Thank you to all of you for the clarification and additional info - much appreciated. We lived in PV for a year and were able to manage our finances by making 4 or 5 withdrawals per month at 5000 pesos per transaction, depending on how often we ended up at the beach bars....  We like to walk so we will be open to rental places that are up to 2 km away from the Scotiabank ATM machine. Arriving in the fall of 2017 and will start looking in earnest in late July. In the meantime we will keep doing the "walk-about" using Google Maps drop in.  Thank you again for your help.

53 minutes ago, cerveza por favor said:

Thank you to all of you for the clarification and additional info - much appreciated. We lived in PV for a year and were able to manage our finances by making 4 or 5 withdrawals per month at 5000 pesos per transaction, depending on how often we ended up at the beach bars....  We like to walk so we will be open to rental places that are up to 2 km away from the Scotiabank ATM machine. Arriving in the fall of 2017 and will start looking in earnest in late July. In the meantime we will keep doing the "walk-about" using Google Maps drop in.  Thank you again for your help.

The Banorte machines on Olas Altas in Old Town just raised their limit to 50,000 pesos. I don't think many people have a bank limit that high.

Archived