Chapala.com Webboard

Garrafon Water Refills

jhark

5 hours ago, suegarn said:

There is a store at the corner of Constitution and Donato Guerra

Some people would find it more easily if referred to as Encarnacion Rosas (Donata Guerra), as that is what it is from the carretera (Farmacia Guadalajara corner) until it gets down to the corner on Constitucion.

EXCELLENT water there, and great service. (I used to go to Techno-Agua too, and only found this by fluke.) They also offer home delivery, but it's more expensive than pick-it-up yourself.

Constitucion location charges 14p; bottles are pre-washed and pre-filled, so you can trade your empty in with no waiting. Shop in Riberas by TeleCable is 16p; usually you wait for a refill. New lady in Riberas on San Jorge just jumped from 15 to 18p; again, you wait for the wash and fill. A four peso difference may not be much by U.S. retirement income standards, but it is a huge difference in Mexico.

SuperLake charges $25p for new ones from the source. The little store west of town by Pacifico fish charges $31p but is far easier to load into the car than SuperLake. 

On 10/25/2016 at 2:34 AM, Bill Hely said:

What is the source of the water your bottles are being filled with?

Any problems with the water not being clean for drinking?

If filters that reverse osmosis water uses are used too long you can end up with some contamination.  Only way to tell is a TDS meter which should read close to 0 for reverse osmosis water as all minerals are removed. Big scams in some places with contaminated tap water sold but local is pretty good.   I used Katya, Bonifont, and Ciel with good luck before I put in a water purification system.  I would shop for water by vendor not by price.  If you care get a meter and use it otherwise its just trust. Be aware that TDS meters will not read correctly in mineral water and most of our water around here is mineral water.  Jug water has the minerals removed and a cup of mineral water added to the jug will make jug water taste better.

Yea but Pepsi and Coke know how to make clean water if you think about it C.G. I have had no problems with Katya as they are good about changing the filters on time and much cheaper than the soda companies I agree.   Go do some reading about water fraud in Mexico.  I have seen bad jugs of water that didn't test right but how would you know unless you test? Is your immune system compromised?  Are you strong like Bull?  Folks are different and you might not get sick but others might.  I do agree water is pretty good around here but if I lived in Mexico City I would test every jug unless it came from the big guys.  In some areas tap water is sold at filtered water.  

Haha, Pepsi and Coke know how to make clean water? Why, because they have processing plants and people haven't dropped dead from their sody pop? And sure, I have sa strong stomach, but it still notifies me when there are problems, but that's why I said my friends haven't had problems either, to broaden the scientific spread of this study...

The young lady in Riberas handed me a document illustrating the process her product undergoes. Seems that the Mexican Government has passed some law that prevents local purification for resale (my assumption) She stated she MUST buy her water from the approved sources authorized by the Government. That alone puts the wholesale cost of bulk water up. This may be why the price hike is everywhere & a number of local sources have been eliminated. I would not be at all surprised is Coke & Pepsi amongst others had a hand in the mix to get this enacted. They would have the capacity to supply & deliver. She then finishes the process, handling etc.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Haha, Pepsi and Coke know how to make clean water? Why, because they have processing plants and people haven't dropped dead from their sody pop? 

This has nothing to do with soda pop. I assure you the water treatment/purification plants are far superior to anything lakeside and unless you have seen these plants you have no idea what you are talking about.  Pepsi and coke are not interested in serving bad water. Its bad for business.  Lets talk about water not corporate politics.  

No one is talking corporate politics except you (why would you bring that up?), and no one is interested in serving bad water. Why would you think a giant corporation is beyond reproach, and that a small outfit (which the rest of the time, everyone says "Support our local small businesses!") is not? I don't get it. In fact, most of the local bottling companies are very transparent: everything is right in front of you. So unless you are convinced that their water source is bad, I don't see the problem.

On 25/10/2016 at 0:18 AM, ComputerGuy said:

The place on Ribera's is 18p suddenly it appears a huge rise but if you noticed this week, the mexican newspapers said that Energy tariffs had an increase on Oct 31st, plastics among other supplies.  Bonafont, Ciel or small companies like this in Riberas have to follow the same Sanitary Law named NOM supported by the government office COFEPRIS. Like FDA in US. You can read it on every label. Do you really think that a small company will risk selling bad water? C'mon.

I have never figured how much water I use per year, but I got tired of always having to worry about how full my garrafon was both in the upstairs bedroom bathroom and in the kitchen for drinking, cooking and making ice cubes. I broke down and put in reverse osmosis systems like LCScats mentioned above.

Archived