Chapala.com Webboard

Incident outside Eager Realty

lakeside7

So what would be the legal situation in Mexico if you got physical with them? Or should I say, got physical with any males involved? Getting heavy with females is not my style, so they pose more of a problem.

But I won't tolerate being threatened or extorted.

I have managed to avoid any confrontations, but I think things are quite different in Mexico. First, most important to enforce a strongly enforced "no" - body posture, etc. If you lose your cool, you have lost. Second, a lot of these punks carry knives, guns, etc. If they feel threatened, they don't waltz around like they do in the movies. They stab you, or shoot you before you even realize they had a weapon. They do not fight "fair" - whatever in heck that means!

Call the police and demand they be taken away, there are municipal administrative laws that protect.

Several years ago, a man opened his garage, drove the car in, and was unloading some groceries from the trunk, when someone came up, demanded money, and when he said no, they shot him dead. This was in east Ajijic on either 16 de Sept or Constitution. 

Also - if you beat someone down, you have just declared war on his family. Inter family feuds can carry over for generations in this country. His mamma in court will swear "why did that bully have to beat up my sweet, innocent little boy" :010:

The worst true story like this is from Puerto Vallarta, a few years ago. A mother was with her son, a 20 year old university student from Denver CO. They went to the bank, and took out a sizeable chunk of cash, about $2,500 U.S. because they were buying furniture for their family's new vacation home. Someone in the bank (washroom, cell phone?) described them and then two men cornered them with a gun, and demanded the cash. The young man, defending his mom, tried some moves and was shot dead. The man who shot him was later asked why he did this. His reply "he was in the way". But wait - it gets worse. The two men were caught and put in jail. One of them assumed the identity and clothes of another man who was about to be released the next day. As far as I know, they have never found him.

6 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I think you are wrong about that. Walk away - you are the "bigger" man or women. Go home and rewatch "True Grit".

Depends on the circumstances. The cheek-turners love to advocate the "walk away" solution, which is not always an option, or at least not always the safe option. And by walking away yourself, are you leaving someone else in danger? And if so, are you comfortable with that?

Advice to simply "walk away" may be sensible or stupid, depending on the circumstances.

Anyway, I wasn't seeking a debate. I have enough faith in my own experience to be confident that I will choose the right option for the circumstances.

I was asking about the legalities and the attitude of Mexican police. Such things differ from one country to another, and things aren't necessarily "better" or "worse" in a Third World country (and yes, "Third World" is an outdated concept). For example...

It is my understanding that in many jurisdictions in the USA, if you kill someone in the defense of another, there's a good chance you won't even be charged with anything. In Australia you'll probably end up walking free also, but unless you start out very rich, you'll probably end up having to sell your home to finance your defense, and end up penniless as the cost of "justice".

So getting back to the point: 
In the event that you take physical action, what are the legalities in Mexico and what is most likely the attitude of Mexican police. Yes I know, this could be a complex question requiring a complex answer. All I'm asking for is some informed opinions.

Archived