Chapala.com Webboard

VPN

NLU

A friend of mind and I have been using a Shellfire Box VPN for the last year+. A few weeks ago, I was GEO shut out of Amazon. This week it happened with Netflix and my USA Xfinity account.

As helpful as Shellfire’s support has been in the past, this time, after much back-and-forth, they tell me there is nothing they can do.

Wait a minute! A VPN provide should provide work-arounds, or at least try to. This sake GEO thing happened to me a couple of years ago with Strong VPN. They attended to it almost immediately.

The reason I was enticed by the Shellfire Box was because it was a no-brainer for someone like me with no brain.

I had a Buffalo router which needed attention beyond my attention span, so I gave it up. A friend of mine, whose brain capacity is much larger than mine, is now using it successfully.

I need advice as to what is next. As suggested above, I need a no-brainer answer.

I use a free VPN called Windscribe. 256 bit military grade encryption and they say they don't maintain lists of your activity. Before that, I used Cyber Ghost Free. Same thing with more servers but a bit of a PITA to use vs. Windscribe.

Not 100% either have servers in Mexico but both are free with military- grade encryption and no lists so worth a try. Buena suerte.

They all get "caught" so to speak from time to time. Hotspot Shield did the same to me about 6 months ago. Sorry they said, nothing we can do. But I had a full year subscription so every once in a while I checked. About a month later it was back. They didn't give up but clearly didn't want to keep open a bunch of customer support cases.

Your guys will probably do the same so don't give up. HS has a free version if you want to try them.

22 hours ago, joanne said:

I use a free VPN called Windscribe. 256 bit military grade encryption and they say they don't maintain lists of your activity. Before that, I used Cyber Ghost Free. Same thing with more servers but a bit of a PITA to use vs. Windscribe.

Not 100% either have servers in Mexico but both are free with military- grade encryption and no lists so worth a try. Buena suerte.

22 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

They all get "caught" so to speak from time to time. Hotspot Shield did the same to me about 6 months ago. Sorry they said, nothing we can do. But I had a full year subscription so every once in a while I checked. About a month later it was back. They didn't give up but clearly didn't want to keep open a bunch of customer support cases.

Your guys will probably do the same so don't give up. HS has a free version if you want to try them.

Do these allow USNetflix to get through?

Strong VPN has responded that the only way an VPN could consistently hide IPs would be to issue a new IP address everytime you signed in. Not impossible, but should be provided if you are paying $50 per year.

I am ordering blue ray disks now, they are not too expensive anymore, either are the players. Better than trying to download a 14 gig file, or trying to stream it. I don't watch too many movies, but it seems a shame to download a low resolution movie and watch it, spoiling that movie for watching on a true 1080 Hi Def and dolby 5.1 surround blue ray disk. Excellent for live concerts  - it is like you are in the audience. I can watch those over and over. If you get a blue ray player get the ones which can upgrade your lower quality resolutions.

We have a VPN.  In order to access Netflix, we disconnect the VPN, then reconnect once we are done watching.  This also happens with a couple of other websites.  However, for the other websites, we disconnect our VPN, then once we are on the site, we reconnect and proceed. 

On 10/23/2016 at 0:13 PM, CHILLIN said:

Strong VPN has responded that the only way an VPN could consistently hide IPs would be to issue a new IP address everytime you signed in. Not impossible, but should be provided if you are paying $50 per year.

I am ordering blue ray disks now, they are not too expensive anymore, either are the players. Better than trying to download a 14 gig file, or trying to stream it. I don't watch too many movies, but it seems a shame to download a low resolution movie and watch it, spoiling that movie for watching on a true 1080 Hi Def and dolby 5.1 surround blue ray disk. Excellent for live concerts  - it is like you are in the audience. I can watch those over and over. If you get a blue ray player get the ones which can upgrade your lower quality resolutions.

Better quality and just as important ... bonus materials!

Archived