Chapala.com Webboard

Martial arts activities

Bill Hely

What is a "related activity"?     There was a guy who'd been here for years teaching a chinese art in his "dojo"; since japanese arts are taught in dojo's and chinese in Kwoons I have no idea of his background.  Yes I asked him.  But I did spar with one of his students who was quite good.   I can ask around from some of his old students but need to know exactly what you're looking for.

On 10/23/2016 at 6:56 AM, el bartman said:

What is a "related activity"?     There was a guy who'd been here for years teaching a chinese art in his "dojo"; since japanese arts are taught in dojo's and chinese in Kwoons I have no idea of his background.  Yes I asked him.  But I did spar with one of his students who was quite good.   I can ask around from some of his old students but need to know exactly what you're looking for.

Well, I'm fairly flexible, so I'm not looking for anything "exactly". 

I have black belts in Aikido (1st Dan) and Kyusho Jitsu (2nd Dan), but I started with karate in my youth, and have cross-trained in a number of different disciplines over the years. I have tapered off substantially due to hip and knee problems which intensify with age, but I still maintain an interest, even in things I can no longer do.

I'd be surprised, but very pleased, to find a well-qualified Kyusho instructor in the area, as that's something I can continue to develop in without concern for my injuries. Although it is a completely separate discipline altogether, Kyusho has spread mainly through American Kenpo clubs, but not all American Kenpo clubs teach more than a very limited application of Kyusho within their own techniques.

So in summary, a Kyusho club would be great, but as a lifelong martial artist I'm interested in just about everything. One can extract useful information just sitting and watching some completely unfamiliar discipline.

PS Thanks RyanV, but I'm not in the least bit interested in MMA.

Well Bill age does screw up flexibility along with knees and hips.  There is nothing here of interest that I have ever found.   There is an aikido organization in Guadalajara.   I believe the website is aikidojalisco.org - if that doesn't work Senior Google can find it.  As for Dim Mak or Kyosho or any of the pressure point teachings I do know they are available in Mexico City.  You might try kyusho.com or google Kyusho International as they would have information on anything that exists in Guadalajara.  I used to fly up to LA to practice Wing Tzun as it was my closest alternative.  My point being you might find it a lot of fun to take in some of the training school seminars offered in many disciplines with only a short plane ride, albeit to the US.   For example my Sifu, Emin Boztepe, would do seminars at WT schools all over the world.   Used to be a lot of fun to go to these, renew acquaintances, pick up a lot of information and test.    I think here in Ajijic the closest you could come to Martial Arts is picking up the latest issue of Black Belt and read it in Spanish while drinking Sapporo or tsingtao on your terrace.

Archived