Chapala.com Webboard

pesticides on strawberries grown locally

joanne

Guest bennie2

snowyco, its an immune disorder i have. coming here i ate foods which had bacterias, also packaged socalled "natural" snacks which had added gluten. tried some spicey food/condiments & that cause severe acidic inflammatory problems & lead to multiple infections. restuarants didnt cook the vegtables long enough, stopped eating them. i was never around the toxic uncovered trucks or construction sites, or this kind of noise level untill i came here fulltime. a past history of 2 serious infectious illnesses made all of the above intolerable. pesticides can be dangerous, as well as many other things. i think the chemicals disinfectants are just as bad. the grapefruit drops are a better alternative. may be nice to have a salade. i have had only one infection in 3 years. (not fruit related). changing habits helped alot. cooking the fruit a bit w/some nuts & seeds (cooked as well for bacterias) can be very tasty. 

21 hours ago, snowyco said:

Science has the answer:  Microdyn... Bacdyn ... Microdine ... are proven for 25 years to  NOT WORK .

Even though the fake names make it sound like they have iodine (a proven disinfectant),   instead they are all bogus  silver solutions.

Detailed CDC, NIH, and UNAM consistently prove that silver solutions like Microdyn, Bacdyn & Microdine do NOT even reduce devastating salmonella like typhoid ...  and do NOT touch amoebas => because silver solutions do not affect the the nastiest salmonellas nor amoebas  -  harmful microbes that come from Mexico's very common spraying liquified human excrement & liquified pig waste onto Mexican fruits and vegetables.

This means that the more frequent problem with Mexican strawberries, lettuce, blueberries is that they are produced Organically,  being sprayed with human excrement & pig excrement for fertilizer ... making them a bigger health threat than having trace levels of pesticides.

Just as the silver solutions Bacdyn, Microdyn et al do not kill nasty salmonellas nor amoebas nor protozoans,   these silver solutions also only reduce  the counts  of other nasty microbes.   This means that even on the microbes affected by Microdyn, Bacdyn et al are only reduced by 50% - to 70%...  leaving plenty of nasty microbes to make us sick.

In the 1990's both the NIH and US FDA recognized that Bacdyn, Microdyn & other silver solutions are bogus for disinfection - and should be avoided - and BANNED their consumption for being taken internally :

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/silver
and
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/98fr/081799a.txt

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17061512

Interesting. The 3rd link you posted shows that the use of colloidal silver in cleaning vegetables showed a huge reduction in fecal coliforms.

Somhttps://kathleeniscookinginmexico.wordpress.com/tag/microdyn/e interesting points in the link below;

Wow - Snowy really wrote that!!! I have never encountered anyone so delusional about what it takes to inter relate on this sweet, green planet or specifically about organics, and the organic movement. Feces sprayed on crops - really!!! That was outlawed in China - 50 years ago. We are all interconnected, to the galaxy level, but certain ones amongst us, won't be happy until all food is irradiated and all surfaces are sterile. They are a part of the people I would call the Borg.

54 minutes ago, cedros said:

Interesting. The 3rd link you posted shows that the use of colloidal silver in cleaning vegetables showed a huge reduction in fecal coliforms.

Somhttps://kathleeniscookinginmexico.wordpress.com/tag/microdyn/e interesting points in the link below;

a huge reduction in fecal coliforms '

This claim sounds oh-so-good ... but it ignores the fact   'a huge reduction in fecal coliforms'   offers false hope of protection - fooling the silver user

into believing that the soaking might be working,   while it does not work  as promised.

No protection from amoebas
... present from Mexican farmers spraying liquified  human excrement  onto the berries/fruits/veg as an  'organic fertilizer'.

No protection from protozoa 
... present from Mexican farmers spraying liquified  human excrement  onto the berries/fruits/veg as an  'organic fertilizer'.

No protection from paramecia

No protections from cryptosporids (like ghiardia)

No protection from nasty salmonellas 

and only limited protection ...  only partial reductions ...  of fecal bacteria
...   as the ' a huge reduction in fecal coliforms '  is still   not enough    to actually protect us from food poisoning.

When a strawberry has 2,000,000 pathogenic fecal e. coli bacteria (a few million) invisible harmful microbes,   is even a 90% kill-rate acceptable
for your child, grandchild, or elder with a compromised immune system ....   exposing them to the remaining 200,000 harmful fecal coliform bacteria remaining after ineffective 'silver treatments' ...   along with just   small reductions  of    nasty salmonella,      and no reductions   of   amoebas, paramecia, protozoans, et al ?

Note that the decades of over-hyped disinfectant properties of  silver solutions   are far far less effective than   very-dilute bleach solutions ...  far less effective than dilute iodine solutions - disinfection protocols that work.

Note that silver solution soaks   are actually  FAR LESS EFFECTIVE   than simple scrubbing with a brush & vigorous rinsing.

Scrubbing with a brush & vigorous rinsing    removes 97%   of common microbes from fruits and veg.... :)

Note:   Why not rely on just scrubbing?
~  Scrubbing works great on apples,  potatoes, et al,  but

~  We can't scrub down in the crevices of lettuce

~  We can't scrub down in the crevices of broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc.

~  the skins of berries ares too fragile to scrub.

Really,  regardless of the personal criticisms,   this stuff has been worked out by good scientists 25 years ago and proven by decades of scientific testing,  

yet the  silver 'disinfectant'  industry  profiteers   and the well-meaning nonscientific untrained pseudo-science, pseudo-health  crowd
clings to the false hopes & false promises that nano-silver, colloidal-silver et al ...  might  protect us.

Educate yourself ... protect yourself ... make good educated choices ... based on facts ...     or not  ??

Fortunately,  each of us can choose ... what to eat ... how to treat it ... and what to avoid.

Don't most people prefer to make rational   fact-based  choices,   rooted in becoming  educated ?

Don't most of us prefer   reliable proven facts    over  industry profit-biased  hollow claims ?

46 minutes ago, snowyco said:

Fortunately,  each of us can choose ... what to eat ... how to treat it ... and what to avoid.

Don't most people prefer to make rational   fact-based  choices,   rooted in becoming  educated ?

Don't most of us prefer   reliable proven facts    over  industry profit-biased  hollow claims ?

Most of us don't obsess about scary bs like your cut and past garbage. Judging from a lot of your posts on Mexconnect you really enjoy misinforming and scaring people. I won't read on MacDuff as you suggest but I will laugh in your face and sincerely hope that really smart people will ignore you. It is well known that chillin and I disagree on almost everything but it seems we agree about your nonsensical diatribes. Last night I had RAW broccoli,cauliflower,mushrooms and carrots with homemade onion dip using RAW onions and garlic buds and for breakfast I had strawberries,blackberries and blueberries smothered in greek yogurt. everything was run under the unfiltered tap water in a colander except the yogurt and the dip base, and as James Brown sang:I Feel Good!

Again this year, during strawberry season, there is a small truck selling berries, that drives through Chapala. The berries are spread out on the tailgate and scooped into plastic bags. We have been eating these for years after disinfecting them with a couple of drops of bleach. No distress. Delicious!

Hola All Above,

I can personally attest that the Microdine sold at Wally, if taken properly does kill amoeba. This was done with before and after tests.

Some amoeba Lakeside is resistant to Flagel. This is scary, see your doctor and pay for the tests if you get sick. These ifections can kill.

Again, most of the fruit and veggies bought around the lake have chemicals that were used at one point or another. Use precaution and wash products with appropreate products. I consume alot of produce here and have not had an infection, cancer, or other issues.

6 hours ago, 757 said:

Again this year, during strawberry season, there is a small truck selling berries, that drives through Chapala. The berries are spread out on the tailgate and scooped into plastic bags. We have been eating these for years after disinfecting them with a couple of drops of bleach. No distress. Delicious!

A couple of drops of bleach in how much water? Thanks.

On 10/20/2016 at 10:20 PM, virgogirl said:

i got some at the tiangus monday market in chapala and they were small and super sweet. i disinfect everything. Use Nutribiotic. It is GSE grapefruit seed extract. Just put a few drops in pure water and put in the fruit. i usually leave it in 5-10 minutes. if it is something dirty like celery, i leave in longer. then dry on clean towels. I feel it does reduce the pesticides/herbicides/fungicides/and any other things undesirable. Not a perfect cure, but certainly a reduction method. There may be other products just as good, but I always use GSE, known here as Nutribiotic.

You mean you used purified water?

6 hours ago, JyC said:

Hola All Above,

I can personally attest that the Microdine sold at Wally, if taken properly does kill amoeba. This was done with before and after tests.

Some amoeba Lakeside is resistant to Flagel. This is scary, see your doctor and pay for the tests if you get sick. These ifections can kill.

Again, most of the fruit and veggies bought around the lake have chemicals that were used at one point or another. Use precaution and wash products with appropreate products. I consume alot of produce here and have not had an infection, cancer, or other issues.

" Some amoeba Lakeside is resistant to Flagel. This is scary, see your doctor and pay for the tests if you get sick. "

very true.

People interested in facts & scientific results may find this useful:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/14/3/pdfs/07-1057.pdf

Additional factual scientific results on salmonella infected individuals in Mexico.

While these salmonella carriers have no symptoms, eating and drinking whatever they please,
they are people who have nasty ongoing salmonella infections who  put their household & family members  & friends  at continual ongoing risk of potentially dangerous  salmonella infections.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2570816/

Re the issue of Mexican fruits and vegetables with salmonella contamination, including definitive results showing that
~ only chlorine bleach disinfection protocols worked,  and
~ 100's of results proving that colloidal silver products (Microdyn, Bacdyn etc) do NOT work on common Mexican food pathogens on Mexican fruit & veg.

From the National Institutes of Health,   testing   Mexican produce,   for common disease causing Mexican pathogenic microbes,  
on over 200 people,  and hundreds of samples ..... proved that silver colloid solutions   like Bacdyn, Microdyn etc   were ineffective (see below).

People have a choice,   to believe personal testimonials that have no basis in testing, and no basis in long-proven microbiology

or they can choose to educate themselves from reliable sources:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17061512

"Microbiological determinations of some vegetables from the Xochimilco zone in Mexico City, Mexico.

Abstract

Vegetables intake is widely recommended because of its high content of vitamins, minerals and fiber. However, the irrigation of these vegetables, using wastewaters that have received inadequate treatment often carries unseen microbial pollution that becomes a high risk potential for humans.

In the present research, two of the most consumed fresh vegetables cultivated in Mexico City were analyzed, lettuce (Lactuca sativa) and Mexican coriander (Eryngium foetidum). These vegetables are commonly consumed raw. The vegetable choice and the disinfection's method were carried out by the application of two tests to two hundred people in an aleatory form.

Similarly, vegetable sampling was carried out by means of a random sampling from the cultivated areas in a chosen "chinampa" (from Náhuatl or Aztec, chinamitl, bulrush or cattail stalks lattice for hydroponics cultivation). Vegetable samples were transferred, in dark plastic bags and in cool boxes at 4 +/- 1.5 degrees C, to the laboratory.

"Microbiological analysis for Salmonella typhi, mesophilic microorganisms, and fecal coliforms were done according to the "NOM-093SSA1-1994" (Mexico). Results obtained demonstrated that

"samples treated with the most preferred disinfectant, a colloidal silver based one, had only partial elimination of pathogenic microorganisms found in both vegetables lettuce (Lactuca sativa) and coriander (Eryngium foetidum) samples (mesophyllic microorganisms from 200,000 to 96,500 UFC/g and from 175,000 to 125,000 UFC/g and fecal coliforms from 75 to 0.43 NMP/g and from 150 to 2.10 NMP/g, respectively)."

"Salmonella typhi for   all   samples gave a positive result."

"Therefore, it was recommended to the cultivators of the Xochimilco (Náhuatl or Aztec name that means "place where flowers bloom") zone, either stop using contaminated water for irrigation"
or
"to use more efficient methods in order to eliminate pathogenic microorganisms,   such as diluted chlorine solutions made with commercial cotton clothing bleaches."

No scare tactics needed ... just reliable facts.

And you were expecting what from the largest and most polluted city in Mexico? Not only that but that produce never reaches here nor you in Yucatan so you can stop worrying.

Your "reliable facts" are not relevant to this area in any way shape or form. And you have digressed from produce and fruit to meat now as well. Golly gosh we'd all better just get hooked up to IV's to stay alive and stop eating anything. Tell us about your eating habits-hmmmm?

15 hours ago, Frijoles said:

A couple of drops of bleach in how much water? Thanks.

Public health authorities in Canada, USA & Europe advise:

Bleach Dilution Schemes:

• Fruits and Vegetables: Wash & scrub thoroughly first to remove dirt, then   10 drops of bleach per liter of water
    and soak for 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.

Disinfecting other common items:
  • Stored Water Treatment (tinacos etc): 10 mL (1 tsp) bleach per 100 L of non-turbid clear water or 1/4 cup of bleach per 275 gal tinaco makes water microbially safe in 15 minutes.
  • Toilets and Sinks: Apply bleach without dilution via spray or brush for 10 minutes and rinse.
  • Drinking water: 2 drops of bleach per liter of clear water (20 drops per mL) and wait 15 min.
  • Floors and bathroom surfaces (tub & shower): 1/4 cup (60 mL) bleach per gal of wash water and leave it on the surface for 5 minutes before rinsing.
  • Children’s Plastic Toys: Remove dirt first with soap and water, then use 1/4 cup (60 mL) bleach per liter of water and soak for 5 minutes and rinse.
  • Baby Bottles & Nipples:  1 drop of bleach per liter,  soak for 2 minutes and rinse.
  • Other Plastic Objects: Apply straight bleach for 5 minutes and rinse – note that this might cause a permanent bleaching of some plastics.
  • Glasses and Plates: 1/4 cup (60 mL) per gallon of dish washing soapy water, scrub off food residues, and allow to soak for 5 minutes.

Notes:
– Only use unscented normal bleach for these purposes:   Do not use scented   or  non-splash bleach. (use Blanqueador de Ropa)
– NEVER COMBINE BLEACH WITH ANY BASE (higher pH chemical)
– NEVER MIX BLEACH SOLUTIONS WITH AMMONIA PRODUCTS OR DRIED URINE (concentrated UREA),
because Base + Bleach = Toxic Chlorine Gas***

Archived