Chapala.com Webboard

Need Help with Driving Direction from Los Angeles to Ajijic

Lakesider

My first time to drive from Los Angeles to Ajijic and planning to leave early morning this Sunday.

Any advice for a safe and/or faster route  and where to stay overnight will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Alas the old Lukeville Arizona and Mexico route 2 going east crossing is not safe anymore.  Too many murders so it is back to cross at Nagales and down on 15 pay road.  We would stop at Guaymas and Mazatlan coming down.  Some folks do it in two days.  I would cross early in morning to get in and out of the paperwork areas without long wait.  Maybe stay at Grass Valley Arizona area night before crossing.  

My partner and I moved down to GDL in January and drove from Palm Springs, CA.  We crossed the border at Mexicali; we drove to Hermosillo the first night, Mazatlan on the second night.  I didn't want to drive for more than eight hours a day.  The ride was very safe, mostly well paved toll roads even though there were some delays with road construction.  Instead of crossing at Mexicali, you can drive further west to Tijuana.  There are two crossings at Tijuana; they are quite safe.  From TJ, straight up north via SD to LA.   

We drive 15D straight to Nogales. We do it in 2 days. Navojoa is now drivable in one (long) day due to the bypass around Mazatlan . Much shorter second day to Nogales. There are many hotels to choose from in Navojoa. Best Western is popular with "gringos" as they take pets. We do not drive to Lukeville anymore. 15D has very visible military presence. Be mindful about gas stations.

We drive Nogales to Los Mochis coming home and stay in the motel Edgar, very clean with garages, will be doing this next week, construction was so much better this trip than last year. Obregon still bad and probably always will.

Sorry to see another person agree with me on Lukeville.  It was such a great way to avoid Nogales and Ajo was a great last stop and stay before crossing the border.  Too bad its just not safe on Mex 2 anymore out Lukeville way.  Way way too many murders over the last few years.  

We liked Hotel Cortes in Guaymas and Los Tres Rios in Los Mochis should you find yourselves needing to stay overnight in either of those cities.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT.  REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE IT. 

N.B. was about to take Lukeville since it is closer and less crowd than Nogales until LCSCATS and ISLANDER advise otherwise...so Nogales it is! Depending  on traffic and driving conditions, Hermosillo, Los Mochis and Mazatlan or even Puerto Vallarta are my choices for overnight stay.

Archived