Chapala.com Webboard

Don't steal in Guadalajara

Bill Hely

Don't be nieve sorry but these gangs fight over selling us Pot/ bootleg software / DVDs  unless you buy from the  locals and that is dangerous for them to do because of the gangs.  Folks forgot the two in the morning burst of an AK47 a number of  years ago when the numero uno dealer was killed on Angel Flores.  The gangs are now here but quiet as to not upset folks but they are here ready to take your money or to obtain new members.  Yes they are nice to us for a variety of reasons and most folks don't have a clue. We even have junior gangs as one can see the tags around the barrio. Yes we are safe but we are allowed to be safe for business reasons.  Lucky us as reality favors us violence wise. Someday they will fight over us again and folks will die.  

I get what you are saying. Came here from New Mexico. Gang violence rampant. Worked as a therapist those days in the local mental health center. Dealt with many families who lost the kids to gang violence, adult drug related shootings, horrific stuff, worked in the santa fe pen. super max. not naive. Could find myself in wrong place at right time. but i don't play in that world, so never worry excessively, because from my experience they usually just murder each other. If they started murdering alot of gringos, the USA might be down here all over the place. They know that, and I don't think they want to be drawing that kind of attention. bad enough scene between gangs. right now i live in the barrio-chapala. lots one could complain about if you want to be marked as the bitchy gringa who needs her tires slashed. home girl don't play that game. lay low. mind own business. steer clear of malondo.

17 hours ago, lcscats said:

.......  The gangs are now here but quiet as to not upset folks but they are here ready to take your money or to obtain new members.  Yes they are nice to us for a variety of reasons and most folks don't have a clue. We even have junior gangs as one can see the tags around the barrio. Yes we are safe but we are allowed to be safe for business reasons.  Lucky us as reality favors us violence wise. Someday they will fight over us again and folks will die.  

As far as I remember they were always here and yes, (so far) we were allowed to be safe for business reasons.

Also take into consideration that many of the larger cartels, as a propaganda stunt, like to be viewed as protectorates of the people.  If they can get the people partially behind them, they can continue performing their criminal activities with fewer challenges and interruptions.  The cartels that get their high earnings from the lucrative drug market often claim to go after smaller criminal networks, they will disappear small end kidnappers, extortionists, and petty thieves (as odd and contradictory as this may sound.)  The calmer the streets are and the happier the pueblo, the easier it is for them carry out their job of importing materials and exporting the finished products around the world.  Anyways, if someone is going to kidnap or extort they want it to be their group or at least be on the receiving end!

Regarding amputations, I don't honestly believe that it is very common here to deal with thieves in that way, but it happens like anywhere else around the world from time to time.  Don't piss off the wrong people.  You will not see many amputees walking the streets here, so don't be expecting to see them.  If you do see one, it is mostly due to an infection that led to gangrene or simply an agricultural accident on the farm.

6 hours ago, Islander said:

As far as I remember they were always here and yes, (so far) we were allowed to be safe for business reasons.

One Euro local was kidnapped probably by accident and released but others kidnapped with him were never seen again. This is the only evidence of kidnapped foreigners  here I have verified true. Family went back to Europe.  Many more locals were killed than the authorities admit  but foreigners have been safe so far.  Lets hope the relative safety FOR ALL  will continue as I would not want to repeat the local losses that happened many years ago to the Mexican community lakeside.  Not sure we deserved the pass but we got one during the last violence period here. I do feel safe here.

Thanks for the intelligent non emotional discussion.  

The kidanpping of the Belgian man was done at the same time as other 18 plus people were kidnapped, it was for a killing to happen for mothers day maybe 3 o 4 years agao. He was kidnapped with his German shepherd as he was hiking up from the Tepalo and released with a woman who was also kidnapped. The others were not so lucky and were all found dead.

Guest bennie2

this is the best advertisement i have seen, especially for a realestate agencies websight. the kidnapped man liked to walk his dog @ midnight. (i spoke w/him before &after). this was something he did on a regular basis even during the height of the crime, w/a camera. he knew all about that hiking trail, its history of muggings. some people follow the drama. in a way i am blaming the victim. 

Guest bennie2

yes it does work both ways in this case. there was an un usually masocistic streak in this person. (more than the average local expat). if i decide tonight to walk alone on angel flores & beyound i may find trouble. if i dont find it, i will keep doing it untill it comes to me. i will also hold a camera as an attraction.

4 hours ago, bennie2 said:

yes it does work both ways in case. there was an un usually masocistic streak in this person. (more than the average local expat). if i decide tonight to walk alone on angel flores & beyound i may find trouble. if i dont find it, i will keep doing it untill it comes to me. i will also hold a camera as an attraction.

Please Angel Flores and above are not dangerous. I walk them all the time even at night. Going up the mountain at night is not so bright I admit.  Most of our problems up here are petty crime against property.

Guest bennie2

the mountain is a death trap (daytime and night & especially midnight). he knew this. angel flores near colon or juarez is very bad & the streets above. theres some very bad people there. (some nortorious). thats what i have seen in broad daylight. mexicans i know wont even pass that corner. one expat i spoke too had trouble there as well. several men tried to beat up his wife. i havnt been there in a few years. its your opinion, & i have mine. the others have theirs. im a realist so are most mexicans.

Bennie is being grumpy.  My wife and I have lived in the horrible area Bennie mentions for years. No problems, people are nice even the bad guys.  Sure its not the nicest area in the village but I have absolutely no complaints about the people here.  Its more like six corners than closer in to the village plaza.  Bennie things change but obviously you don't get new data.  Its not a valid opinion if your data is old but yes you have the right to hold on til death with your opinion of a whole neighborhood.  Maybe its not for everybody but we like the hood very much and feel safe. They laugh at my spanglish. I buy a bottle for every funeral in the hood.  I even stand on the corner and drink Corona with da boys along with other folks.  Beats living in the suburbs by a long shot.

Guest bennie2

loscats, you have given bad advice to expats for years. your predictable narrative is what is. the data is the same. nothing has changed. the mexicans i know (who live & work there) dissagree w/you. the others (mex women) dont want to drive thru there @ night. should i give them your memo? we know youre a cool guy who lives in the hood. ghettodown. down w/the struggle. that will convince them. murderers have lived there, you know this. six corners is similar. so are other pockets. give it up its tired, grow up already.

Guest bennie2

chapalamods, my apology to the realestate agents. i dont think my post will deter renters or buyers. loscats is the party line & most people will follow him. 

Guest bennie2

i do not owe loscats an apology. matter of fact i double down & stand by what i say as always. FYI, many mexicans speak english, & are quite fluent may i add. the original topic was about mexican gangs & their symbolic tribal culture. (this in itself is an academic study). then a poster mentioned ajijic, past incidents. now we are talking about neighbor-hoods & some of their residents. a bit off topic, opinions differ. los cats said "expats may not have deserved a pass". (no one called him out for that)?? well, cat speak for yourself. you can always make up for lost opportunities. equal the playing field. again today, the case is closed.

Archived