Chapala.com Webboard

Barking Dogs Rio Bravo

lkarelee

I am considering renting a condo on Rio Bravo - but 2 individuals have stopped me and warned me about incessant barking dogs living on the property immediately across the road.  According to these 2 people, the dogs owner has been completely unwilling to do anything about the noise - which is only at night and lasts all night long.  They have told me that they notified the proper authorities and a notification was attached to her fence - BUT - nothing has changed.  They also mentioned that one of the dogs recently gave birth to 10 puppies - which should make the situation even worse in a couple of months.

What are the options here in Mexico?  Do residents have anyone they can complain to?  Are there laws about noise levels?

10 minutes ago, lkarelee said:

I am considering renting a condo on Rio Bravo - but 2 individuals have stopped me and warned me about incessant barking dogs living on the property immediately across the road.  According to these 2 people, the dogs owner has been completely unwilling to do anything about the noise - which is only at night and lasts all night long.  They have told me that they notified the proper authorities and a notification was attached to her fence - BUT - nothing has changed.  They also mentioned that one of the dogs recently gave birth to 10 puppies - which should make the situation even worse in a couple of months.

What are the options here in Mexico?  Do residents have anyone they can complain to?  Are there laws about noise levels?

I would suggest that you see a good rental agency and NOT move where the barkers are.  Nothing will be done about that noise + 10 pups, or, for all practical purposes any other noise nuisance. Laws are in place but are generally ignored.  There are many, many posts on the topic on this web board. 

Welcome and may you find a nice, pleasant rental.

Barking Dogs, Stray Dogs, "Crappin' in the street dogs, Spreadin' the garbage dogs,  Dogs not vaccinated, vicious dogs,  dogs in a pack,  Dogs not on a leash, Threatenin dogs on a leash, ie Rotweillers, bulldogs, etc.  ALL a problem Lakeside.   I lived in Tlaquepaque for  3 yrs, Union de Tula for a year,  AND THERE WAS NONE OF THESE PROBLEMS...WHY no Problems (???),  Dogs on a street not on a leash were picked up & taken to a dog pound

I do not understand what your problem is . You checked out the neighbourhood and found something you do not feel you would be happy living near., so do not move there,

You sound like the people who buy a house near an airport and than proceed to complain about the planes.  

There are some very attractive Frats and condo type places that offer more control over the neighbourhood that might suite you better.

There are options in location choices, but I think she was looking for remedies of the sort that might be available in the USA, but which she should not expect, or even dream about in Mexico.

There is an agency in Chapala called Ecologia, but they only address severe animal abuse cases from what I can see. We, here in Chapala, have a big "dog club". DO NOT move into a place where you have been forewarned. I love my apt, but here and there the noisy animals are almost undo-able. I have an out. lLove my landlord so waiting to move into another of their places.But must wait maybe until April./ I have checked that neighborhood. There are dogs, but not on the street and they are well cared for.

We (landlords,mexican couple, lived here in this barrio 28 years) went to Ecologia about the problems here. They came out. A week later the family cleaned the disgusting environment and they are keeping the yappy one in more often. Generally, they only move on complaints if there is ABUSE.  a step in the right direction, but system is not like in the states. 

I'm with Oldy feliz / I also lived in the barrios of Tlaquepaque. Not as much of a problem. Very different here.

Choose the place to rent wisely. go there at all times of day and night before signing a contract.

see story i posted under furry friends forum

Animal control and protection is just another basic service this municipality fails miserably at.  The result is that some people take things into their own hands and put out poison an absolutely horrific act.  The dogs are not responsible for the bad owners and worst government but they pay the price of being killed in a most cruel and painful manner.

Yes, People get twisted when they get frustrated with things like that. Animals that are neglected are not at fault. My landlords claimed that if we talked to the duena (owner) directly she wouldn't understand, as they know better than a gringo the mentality of some of their own neighbors.Finally, they did speak to her on the street. I was glad to have stayed on the sidelines,away in my house, but also glad to have accompanied the landlords to Ecologia to give my official opinion. At least in the end, the neighbor did clean their roof, and the neighbors are getting more relief as she is taking the poodle inside here and there which never happened before. It's a two way street. The dogs needed a clean and sanitary place, decent food, shelter from the storms and attention. The neighbors needed relief from the constant barking as a result of neglect. But I would venture to say that going direct to the dog owner, if mexican, even if you are culturally competent and sensitive, will most of the time get you nowhere, if not retaliated against. be careful.

8 hours ago, Oldyfeliz said:

Barking Dogs, Stray Dogs, "Crappin' in the street dogs, Spreadin' the garbage dogs,  Dogs not vaccinated, vicious dogs,  dogs in a pack,  Dogs not on a leash, Threatenin dogs on a leash, ie Rotweillers, bulldogs, etc.  ALL a problem Lakeside.   I lived in Tlaquepaque for  3 yrs, Union de Tula for a year,  AND THERE WAS NONE OF THESE PROBLEMS...WHY no Problems (???),  Dogs on a street not on a leash were picked up & taken to a dog pound

Hate to tell you this, but there is no "dog pound". The dogs were taken away and shot. Must admit I prefer the inconvenience of our situation.

I would agree, mountain mama, except for vicious dogs running in packs or alone loose. It terrified me in New Mexico and it keeps me on edge here. I was walking in front of Bugambilias one day near the bus stop and there is a white dog belonging to the car wash guys. I didn't notice it laying there until it lunged out growling viciously. Luckily it was tied. I've been dog bit twice, not here.But i believe there is something good about public safety and I do not oppose having vicious, uncared for animals taken out. Ones that can be rehabbed, starving in the streets, good thing there are people like you doing good work on that level.

I wanted so bad to adopt a dog when I arrived here. But i wouldn't want this dog mixing with what's in the neighborhood, so waiting for better environment before I go with it. There's a dog in this 'hood sick and crusty. Ecologicia said they were going to put it to sleep but they never went ahead and picked it up.

As for the OP, be very choosy when you rent/buy. You could be driven completely nuts by the scene you enter into without immediate resolve.

Archived