Chapala.com Webboard

Bandito Ecounter South of Reynosa

Ezzie

To reply to the questions from Hud and Mainecoons, here is a posting I made on TOB in August 2015 about a brush I had with what I assume were banditos on Hwy. 97 south of Reynosa.  I was on a trip back from Houston pulling a small cargo trailer.  I have not used that road since that time and now use Hwy. 54 up to Saltillo and the Columbia crossing.  I found out shortly after that the Federal Police in the area were organizing "convoys" between Cd. Victoria & Reynosa a couple of times a day.  I don't know if they are still doing it.

'Just a heads up to anyone on here that use the SLP-Cd. Victoria-Reynosa/Pharr route. Coming southbound last Friday (SUV pulling a small cargo trailer) I was about 30 km. south of Reynosa on Hwy. 97 when a fast moving white Chevy Trailblazer with Texas tags came up from behind and flashed lights at me. It then pulled up beside me and there were three men inside, one of which carrying a hand held FRS type radio. They motioned for me to pull over. I didn't. Due to oncoming traffic they backed off and then came up beside me again. I did not slow down. They then pulled in front of me and expecting them to slam on the brakes, I pulled over and up beside them on the driver's side. I then made eye contact with the driver and shook my finger at them as an expression a parent makes to a naughty child. They backed right off, slowed and made a U-turn and headed the other way. I guess they decided I wasn't worth messing with. I am convinced they were likely working with spotters somewhere near the border crossing at Pharr. Keep your eyes open and watch for anything unusual if going along that route."

On October 17, 2016 at 9:40 PM, Ezzie said:

To reply to the questions from Hud and Mainecoons, here is a posting I made on TOB in August 2015 about a brush I had with what I assume were banditos on Hwy. 97 south of Reynosa.  I was on a trip back from Houston pulling a small cargo trailer.  I have not used that road since that time and now use Hwy. 54 up to Saltillo and the Columbia crossing.  I found out shortly after that the Federal Police in the area were organizing "convoys" between Cd. Victoria & Reynosa a couple of times a day.  I don't know if they are still doing it.

'Just a heads up to anyone on here that use the SLP-Cd. Victoria-Reynosa/Pharr route. Coming southbound last Friday (SUV pulling a small cargo trailer) I was about 30 km. south of Reynosa on Hwy. 97 when a fast moving white Chevy Trailblazer with Texas tags came up from behind and flashed lights at me. It then pulled up beside me and there were three men inside, one of which carrying a hand held FRS type radio. They motioned for me to pull over. I didn't. Due to oncoming traffic they backed off and then came up beside me again. I did not slow down. They then pulled in front of me and expecting them to slam on the brakes, I pulled over and up beside them on the driver's side. I then made eye contact with the driver and shook my finger at them as an expression a parent makes to a naughty child. They backed right off, slowed and made a U-turn and headed the other way. I guess they decided I wasn't worth messing with. I am convinced they were likely working with spotters somewhere near the border crossing at Pharr. Keep your eyes open and watch for anything unusual if going along that route."

That is the biggest piece of BS I have ever heard.. Your a legend in your own mind..

Your expect us to believe you frightened off banditos with a shake off your finger..

Nice comment Telsz4 - please - let's not get personal here - I don't know you and I don't think you know me very well.  I only posted this because a couple of other posters wanted to know the details. 

I do not consider myself to be a "legend in my own mind", just very lucky to be alive and to have gotten away with it.  To bad you were not there to act as my witness.  Truth be known, I simply reacted on instinct or adrenalin at the time, I don't know - it's just the way I react to stuff like this.  Afterwards, it sunk in - what could have happened and it shook me up pretty good.  I had a friend who took some gunfire on Ruta 101 south of Brownsville, TX in March 2014 while driving down to Leon.  He was able to "outrun" the perps. but managed to find some Federal Police who accompanied him back to the area to see if they could find them.  He was so shook up that he immediately returned his pickup truck to Texas and took a flight to Leon.

I just want people to know that this type of thing DOES happen and be real careful, that's my only motive to posting this.  On that particular incident, I am certain that I saw a spotter with a radio at the old 21 km. post on Ruta 97 that may have radioed his buddies about my vehicle and trailer coming through.

Don't enjoy stirring things up.. But some of the poster's on this board are getting more ridiculous. I have been driving around Ajijic/Mexico for ten years now.  Have run the gauntlet going NOB many times. If you believe that banditos wave nicely to you and ask if you would mind pulling over so they can rob you, or that they get frightened off when you shake your finger at them I've got a nice bridge you might be interested in buying from me.. 

Quite a few years ago when I crossed at Columbia I was warned by one of the officials at the border to be careful on the first 20km because of banditos and what they will do to stop me. 

Archived