Chapala.com Webboard

more dog poisonings

Dog Poisoning Alert. A dog was poisoned in Seis Esqiuinas two weeks ago and two more now on the Ajijic Malecon. Beware of anything your dog might eat. The most recent poisoning was strychnine on chicken. A town hall with government officials is being planned and I will post when I know more.

My dog was poisoned this morning at the bottom of Calle Revolution in Ajijic.  She was walking off leash when she ate something off the street.  I was unable to get to her fast enough to stop it.  Within 5 minutes she went into convulsions.  Within 20 minutes she was dead before the vet could arrive.  He said it was a very strong poison.  Some one left it out deliberately.

If I am not mistaken, there were many instances of dog poisonings in Ajijic several years ago. The poisoner was tossing poisoned meat up onto people's balconies and, I believe, into people's yards.  To the best of my knowledge, a reward was offered for information as to who it was. The individual was found out and left the area.

At the meeting this Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at the amphitheater at the Ajijic malecon, I hope we can get enough people together to work to find out who is doing these horrible things.

1 hour ago, Yo1 said:

I suspect that whomever is leaving the poison is trying to get across the message that dogs should not be off-leash.  I'm so sorry for all the folks whose dogs have died.  And the others that will die before the poisoner is stopped.

I can't imagine that kind of mentality, Yo. The person doing this has some very serious mental problems that go way beyond what most of us can comprehend.

Guest bennie2

the person will not step foward to confess. maybe they were seriously injured & are @ their wits end. what does it matter? it has been happening for years. you have to catch them in the act.

Twice in the past few weeks, we have cleaned up chicken "stuff" up on the curb along the side of the street within a block and a half of this morning's poisoning at the bottom of Calle Revolución. One was on Juan Manuel, just south of 16 de septiembre and the other time was on 16 de septiembre east of La Bodega before getting to Juan Manuel. We will continue to be on the lookout for suspicious stuff in the street. We haven't checked with the horse guys to see if they've lost any dogs to this, but they are just a couple of blocks away and there are about 8-10 dogs that belong to them who roam our neighborhood. Meanwhile our two lab girls will be walked on very short leashes. 

59 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Consider muzzles as well. My dog has the fastest mouth in the West, and a leash won't stop him if I look away for a moment.

I would like to get a couple of basket muzzles.  Anyone know where?  If I buy through Amazon, I would be leery of fit.

Advice on Muzzles, source and shipping:

Two of the best muzzles: 

First one is Baskerville muzzle.  The second one is the white jafco muzzle.

Both are available on Amazon.  

Baskerville ships to Mexico, with Amazon free prime shipping/no duty with orders over $65.00.

Jafco will require an import service such as SolYLuna.

The white jafco will not require additional modifications. ($26.00 USD)

The Black or Tan Baskerville, will require modifications to the mouth area. ($15.00 USD)

Both are somewhat slender, (more so than standard muzzles) lightweight and pant friendly. 

All animals need exercise.  When they work out, they pant.  You want a muzzle that permits

panting, not a short term muzzle which is uncomfortable or prevents that panting.  Remember,

the purpose of this anti-poison muzzle is to protect dogs from people, not the other way around.  

Thus, you do not require a bulky, heavyweight muzzle.

I have the Baskerville muzzle and have modified the mouth opening successfully. 

Once you have one of the two in place, if you find you would like a wider pant allowance:

There is also a third muzzle, which is a lightweight model which is 

much more expensive.  The above two and this one are built to last.  I would invest in one of the

less expensive models first, sizing up the measurements and fine-tuning what you might like changed,

prior to ordering a custom made (for even wider pant leverage) version.

6 hours ago, kbleitch said:

Twice in the past few weeks, we have cleaned up chicken "stuff" up on the curb along the side of the street within a block and a half of this morning's poisoning at the bottom of Calle Revolución. One was on Juan Manuel, just south of 16 de septiembre and the other time was on 16 de septiembre east of La Bodega before getting to Juan Manuel. We will continue to be on the lookout for suspicious stuff in the street. We haven't checked with the horse guys to see if they've lost any dogs to this, but they are just a couple of blocks away and there are about 8-10 dogs that belong to them who roam our neighborhood. Meanwhile our two lab girls will be walked on very short leashes. 

Did you know the chicken "stuff" was poisoned meat?  If so, why didn't you post the info?

15 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Did you know the chicken "stuff" was poisoned meat?  If so, why didn't you post the info?

I did not post the info before as we did not know what it was for sure nor if it indeed carried any poison nor if it was intentionally placed. We have dogs always running loose down our street and cross street as we live near the La Floresta horses and several of the horse guys have multiple dogs.  Those dogs sometimes go through trash bags, so what we picked up could have been the remnants of something dragged out of a trash bag up the street. Who knows? Both times when we found it, we went back out into the street with a shovel and plastic bag and gloves to dispose of the stuff. Both times it was dark and we were using a flashlight. Whatever it was, it stunk. We removed it from the street, which, I believe, was more beneficial than posting about it. 

I saw a poisoned, dying dog this morning next to El Barco. Nothing I could do but I reported it to the vet on revolucion. He may have been poisoned below the carretera and crossed the street, but I do not know for sure. It was god awful. He was a brown brindal, lab sized dog.

Someone needs to tell the fool on the north side of 16 de Septiembre just around the corner west of this, a gringo I think, who opens his door early in the morning and turns his two black labs out to run the neighborhood, crap where people can step in it and break into garbage bags.  This guy is the kind of dog owner that gives dogs a bad name and gets them killed.

Archived