Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala Haciendas - Need Help

dpds

I've recently purchased a home in Chapala Haciendas.  I am asking anyone who lives in the fraccionamiento to provide some basic information about:

Phone Service - What carriers are available for landline service?

Internet - What carriers are available for internet service?  What is the internet speed available?

TV - What carriers are available for TV service?

We currently live in Guadalajara and obviously service here is very good generally.  We are currently using Telmex for landline.  We use Megacable for TV and Internet.  Internet speeds with Megacable have been around 28-32 MBPS; Infinitum was less than 5MBPS.  I also use Sky for TV which is very good.

My understanding is that internet is very sketchy in that area.  We stream regularly (Netflix, etc). I also use internet regularly!

Also, any recommendations for purchasing appliances locally?

Any feedback would be most appreciated.  We paln on being in the house by the beginning of November to start making some improvements but plan on staying there a few days a week.

Also, I may be asking for additional  help with other issues since we are not familiar with contractors, landscapers, or businesses that we mat need to confer with while we are working on the house improvements.

Again,  much appreciation for your help!

Don 

I can help with some. TelMex is the only phone service; Telecable (or whoever it is now) doesn't have cable service in the area, as far as I know. Infinitum Internet from TelMex maxes out at 2.3 Mbits/s in Chapala Haciendas and Brisas across the highway, if you are lucky, usually coming in at 1.7 (feels like dialup). Streaming is almost impossible, although many do it and live with the stuttering.

An alternative is TelCel data plans, for your cell phone or laptop, but while basic plans are cheap, the kind of bandwith streaming services takes up would be best discussed with a TelCel rep at the big new office in the big new mall in Ajijic.

Your first inquiries should be to Telmex and Telecable at Chapala, to see if they can service your address.  Of course, the immediate neighbors to your new home may also be able to give you good advice. 

Congratulations on your new home.

We recently lived the the Haciendas for several years. Here are my reasonably current answers:

Phone Service - What carriers are available for landline service? TelMex

Internet - What carriers are available for internet service?  What is the internet speed available? again TelMex. No Telecable available. I have heard of people using a satellite dish to get better Internet but know nothing else about it. The TelMex Internet speeds are slow or very slow depending on ??? maybe the phase of the moon or ???

TV - What carriers are available for TV service? satellite dish Shaw, Dish maybe others

Also, any recommendations for purchasing appliances locally? I purchased appliances from Muebles Americana in Chapala and they were excellent. Not froufrou or fancy but they worked. We are renting in a house with fairly new appliances from Tio Sam and they are prettier with more features and I am getting to know the appliance repair guys on a first name basis. YRMV

Recommend Tio Sam's.... Great service and fast repair if needed... If you decide to do some remodeling ask your contractor for a discount on your appliances... We saved a bundle at Tio Sams.... Using your credit card, you may be able to get a better exchange rate also....

Bring your Guadalajara sense of security to Lakeside. Have all the locks replaced, and beefed up. It sends a message - the new locks mean the new owners take their security very seriously. An old, rusted padlock, and an ancient Philips single bar lock are not going to cut it. The one thing I would warn about, especially here in the hills, is that many of the construction workers may come from as far away as San Juan Cosala, by bus. That is a major commute, and many of them sleep rough, in the bush, until the weekend comes along, and back home with their pay packet. Many of these are honest, hard working people, - but there are a few who are not - and they will take advantage of an easy opportunity. These bad apples also have access to all the construction tools used on the jobsite.

Archived