Chapala.com Webboard

Sports field next to La Floresta

Lost Dog

On my recent visit to Ajijic all was relatively quiet around the lower La Floresta neighborhood. This is one of the areas on my list of possible places to live Lakeside. The sports fields between Revolution and the lower La Floresta area seem to be a central place for festivals, events, games, Banda Concerts,etc. Does this make the La Floresta neighborhoods vulnerable to noise and traffic? Thanks.

I lived 4 years in Upper La Floresta. In that time I found that lower La Floresta experiences more noise issues from weekend parties but is still quiet most of the time (weekends are a hit or miss). Upper La Floresta gets the odd loud party but is quieter overall. No matter where you go in Mexico you will get noise of one sort or another. Best to learn to love it or join the carmudgeons who love to gripe about everything. Bring ear plugs wherever you travel if you are a light sleeper.

29 minutes ago, Semalu said:

I lived 4 years in Upper La Floresta. In that time I found that lower La Floresta experiences more noise issues from weekend parties but is still quiet most of the time (weekends are a hit or miss). Upper La Floresta gets the odd loud party but is quieter overall. No matter where you go in Mexico you will get noise of one sort or another. Best to learn to love it or join the carmudgeons who love to gripe about everything. Bring ear plugs wherever you travel if you are a light sleeper.

I walked the lower La Floresta several times a couple weeks ago but wasn't able to visit Upper La Floresta due to the security. I live in a well-known beach community and have lived with holiday and summer tourist issues most of my life plus several years in downtown San Francisco, so not looking to find a Walden Pond existence. The rocket powered cherry bombs lakeside don't really bother me but I do have a need for some reasonable peace. I will need a single level larger home due my wife's disabilities. The homes in lower La Floresta look to fit that bill so far. 

The closer you are to the soccer fields the more you are going to have to deal with the noise and also the traffic, that is a fact.

But if you are further east in La Floresta I think you would be moving away from the noise and traffic. 

There are some very nice homes in lower, and upper La Floresta so you should be able to find something to your taste.

We live a couple blocks west and south of the fields.  For the most part what goes on there are daytime soccer games plus the occasional event like the Globos.  There are a few concerts there during the year, most seem to end before 11PM.  The parking seems to go on west and south of the field.

The suggestion to located further east in La Floresta is a good one IMO.

Any neighborhood considered should be walked weekend evenings. Ask the neighbors about eventos legal and otherwise . also ask about resident cohete nuts. The fiesta ones are being diminished by the admin and response to complaints. But, the local nuts cant be accounted for. 

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Are these the local nuts who have been setting off cohetes every morning starting at 5 AM this week?

October is the month of the Virgin of the Rosario and there are cohetes every morning of the month - they do move around the village in that time so no one location seems to get them for more than a week at a time.

Guest bennie2

its an act of hostility, setting off those bombs. if you think mexicans like it, the answer is no. some people have to sleep because they have a job the next day,

Thanks for the replies. I was in Ajijic for the Oct 1st rainstorm and the flooding from runoff. I rode with a contact Saturday morning from Chapala Haciendas west to the Raquet Club. The flooding was pretty bad at Revolution and along the highway through La Floresta. Drainage in La Floresta looked a bit troubling and wonder about damage in the past. Has there been a history rock/mudslides on the mountain side and flooding down through La Floresta?

Yes I think you have to pay close attention to drainage issues in La Floresta as well.  There seems to be quite a problem there with ground water and continuously running streams on some of the streets.  Now is a good time to check that out.

Admittedly this has been a pretty wet year but we seem to be getting more of those lately.

3 hours ago, bournemouth said:

October is the month of the Virgin of the Rosario and there are cohetes every morning of the month - they do move around the village in that time so no one location seems to get them for more than a week at a time.

Five AM is abusive I don't care where they do it.  I'll bet the majority of Mexicans here would agree, particularly working folks.  Is the church responsible for this?

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Five AM is abusive I don't care where they do it.  I'll bet the majority of Mexicans here would agree, particularly working folks.  Is the church responsible for this?

Yes. Each barrio is responsible for a week of walking from their local Virgin of Guadalupe alter and setting off the cohetes to announce early morning mass. How come you don't remember this local custom that goes on every single October, every year here in Ajijic? Mass starts early for those people who want to pray to their beloved Virgin of the Rosary before they go to work. Been going on long before we all moved here and will be going of a long time after we are gone.....acceptance is not agreement. 

What is abusive to some is normal culture or choice to others. Early is not too early if one is 'practicing and devout'. My choice of being agnostic doesn't prevent me from allowing others to practice their beliefs and their customs.... just don't expect me to do so unless it 'fits my fancy'.

Water run off can be an issue but look at it on the positive side, at least once a year you could have waterfront property.

Wherever you look, just make sure you get a building above grade and you will be OK (look at the driveway, does it go up or down to the house?). Racquet Club had a big land slide years ago with home damage, and land and mud slides can be a problem in areas that drain directly from the hills. This is the same anywhere in the world with challenging topography. Simply look at Google maps to locate where the drainage fans are from the mountains, avoid those areas and you are probably OK. The north south streets have more issues than the east west ones, and lower la Floresta near the lake has drainage issues which may cause septic problem. True of any low grade lakeside property.

You mentioned a wife with disabilities. Best bear in mind when considering buying here that you are over an hour away from a full service hospital with emergency triage. There are small local clinics but expect to be on your own in any medical emergency. In my direct experience Red Cross charges you up front for the ride to GDL. Not sure what would have happened if I didn't pay, but the implication was clear. They also do not supply receipts. The local bomberos seem to have a new ambulance so there is that option. Fingers crossed emergency first response deficiencies will continue to improve over the years but in the meantime, best to be prepared.

You will never change the 5 a.m. cohetes. They are part of religious tradition. haven't you noticed the lack of others during the day? Give thanks!!!!

drainage in lower La Floresta is a big issue. There is the runoff from the mountains on N/S streets. There are also underground streams damaging poorly built houses.

N/S streets would be an issue in Ajijic also when it comes to run off

Archived