Chapala.com Webboard

Cream??

bdlngton

Today I was looking for cream to make a rich cream soup, like whipping cream, heavy cream, light cream or even Half & Half, but not Mexican style "crema" or sour cream (crema acificada.)  I used the word "crema" but described it as being like milk but with a higher fat content.  The lady in the deli section at Soriana had no idea what I was talking about.  I found Half & Half at Walmart (which is actually called Half& Half helre) but no other creams like whhat I was looking for.  I asked at checkout what to call it other than "crema" and explained what I wanted it for.  The clerk called over a supervisor to ask her.  We involved the older lady doing the bagging in the conversation.  Crema para cafe was suggested but that could include powdered coffee creamer.  I asked if I could say "crema para batir" but they said that would probably get me directed to the aerosol cans of whipped cream.  One suggested I ask for Carnacion, which would get me Carnation evaporated milk.  Their best suggestion was "crema para cafe lliquida."  So, does anybody have any idea how to ask for cream like I described above?

It is crema para batir.  Usually at the dairy case beside the half and half at Walmart, Soriana and El Torito.  Not one of these stores had them for the last week.  And I've been checking daily.  I have used nestle's media crema for a quiche recipe in place of whipping cream, so it might work for your soup.  The media crema is in a can or tetra pack near the evaporated milk and condensed milk section. 

Last week, WalMart had no cream of any kind. Yesterday, they had one whipped cream in the can and two sorry looking crema para batir. I'm guessing if Soriana was out, too, then it's the supplier.

I use the whipping cream when a recipe calls for heavy cream; works well.

17 hours ago, miomama said:

Media crema is thicker than half and half.

This shall be known as the great whipping cream shortage of 2016.  I don't know what's happening with Lyncott but I hope they restock all the stores soon!

I found the media crema at Walmart today and will try it with Half&Half and milk in my soup.  Media crema is 20% fat, the same as light cream in English, while Half&Half is 12% fat.    

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve been using the media crema that comes in the tetra packs (Nestle also has a version in a can) as coffee cream for years. Started before the Lyncott half and half or crema para batir was available anywhere. Before that used condensed milk, but it lends a flavor to the coffee which I don´t enjoy. The media crema is much cheaper than Lyncott half and half. Alpura, Nestle and Lala brands are good- the Golden Hills Mega brand is far inferior.

On 10/13/2016 at 9:41 PM, bdlngton said:

Today I was looking for cream to make a rich cream soup, like whipping cream, heavy cream, light cream or even Half & Half, but not Mexican style "crema" or sour cream (crema acificada.)  I used the word "crema" but described it as being like milk but with a higher fat content.  The lady in the deli section at Soriana had no idea what I was talking about.  I found Half & Half at Walmart (which is actually called Half& Half helre) but no other creams like whhat I was looking for.  I asked at checkout what to call it other than "crema" and explained what I wanted it for.  The clerk called over a supervisor to ask her.  We involved the older lady doing the bagging in the conversation.  Crema para cafe was suggested but that could include powdered coffee creamer.  I asked if I could say "crema para batir" but they said that would probably get me directed to the aerosol cans of whipped cream.  One suggested I ask for Carnacion, which would get me Carnation evaporated milk.  Their best suggestion was "crema para cafe lliquida."  So, does anybody have any idea how to ask for cream like I described above?

Crema para batir is heavy cream--aka whipping cream.  "Batir" means "to beat or whip" (an egg, whipping cream, etc--not your dog, that word is golpear). IMHO it's too thick for coffee.
Media crema would work for your purpose; buy it in a tetrapak.  IMHO it's far too thick and greasy for coffee.
What would work best for your purposes (again, IMHO) is crema de mesa.  It's thick, like creme fraiche, and is often used to swirl into soups.  You can also drizzle it over enchiladas, ditto over refried beans, etc.
Lyncott usually sells half and half here, but others have said it isn't available right now.  
What I find very satisfactory in my coffee is Clavel leche evaporada--Carnation evaporated milk. (clavel in Spanish = carnation in English--the flower)  You do NOT want the liquid or powdered creamer, it's full of high fructose corn syrup and makes one's coffee feel almost sticky in the mouth.  Gross.  Regular Clavel in cans (or from Costco in liter tetrapaks) is what you want. 

I wonder how many times you have offered this information, More Liana? I know you gave it to me some years back (along with other great cooking advice). It is a constant source of interest here, that's for sure.

I'm guessing crema de mesa is more readily availabe at tianguis and little dairy stores than it is in Wally and Soriana here...

Wally's here in PV was also out of Half and Half yesterday. Lyncott must have a problem.

Clavel also comes in a plastic squeezeable bottle that is great for drizzling on pay de queso. Just the other day I also saw it in a chocolate version.

Never drank coffee before going in the Army. Nothing else on offer there so learned to like it. No cream or sugar out in the boonies so black it was and 50 years later still is. My better half is more refined and uses half and half.

On 11/2/2016 at 9:47 AM, ComputerGuy said:

I wonder how many times you have offered this information, More Liana? I know you gave it to me some years back (along with other great cooking advice). It is a constant source of interest here, that's for sure.

I'm guessing cream de mesa is more readily availabe at tianguis and little dairy stores than it is in Wally and Soriana here...

Thanks for noticing, CG.  I'd say a whole lot of times! 

Every dairy company--Alpura, Lala, Lyncott, Eugenia, and tons more--maked crema de mesa.  I like to buy it in bulk, though--a small plastic glassful is just about 8 oz. and just right for my needs.  Most of the big supermarkets--you have Soriana and Walmart--carry bulk as well as pre-packaged.  Take a look at this list, though, so you don't buy something (chemicals, additives, etc) that you don't want:

http://revistadelconsumidor.gob.mx/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/estudio-crema.pdf

Archived