Chapala.com Webboard
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Leggett

I want to babysit your house!

Hello everyone!  My name is Brad Leggett.  I am currently teaching Spanish in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, but I will soon be moving to Ajijic to work on my friend's food truck. It's called City Sandwich and if I know Justin it's pretty amazing.  I'm looking for a place to live and he suggested housesitting.  Here is some info on me.  I am 35 years old, I am very honest, I am very clean, and I am a licensed school teacher.  I currently hold licensure through the state of Mississippi for English grades 9-12 and Spanish grades K-12.  I'll also be looking for tutoring gigs, so any information on that would be appreciated as well.  In addition to house sitting opportunities, I am also open to the idea of being someone's roommate or maybe renting a cheap sub-let.  Thank you all for any information.  It's been a lifelong dream to live and work in Mexico.  God Bless!

Will you have a residence visa with permission to work? Or, are you a Mexican citizen?  That is an important consideration.

To artsnob, I meant I want to house sit.  Does the pet sitting duties come with a place to stay, haha?  RVGRINGO, I really have no idea.  I imagined my friend with the restaurant would help me work all that out, but I do need to look into it and I am a U.S. citizen.

1 hour ago, Brad Leggett said:

To artsnob, I meant I want to house sit.  Does the pet sitting duties come with a place to stay, haha?  RVGRINGO, I really have no idea.  I imagined my friend with the restaurant would help me work all that out, but I do need to look into it and I am a U.S. citizen.

And what do U.S. citizens call illegal workers from Mexico? Have you made arrangements to work here legally so that you will not be deported? Oh, I forgot,Mexico is for more lenient than the USA with illegals but you will eventually be caught if you are not legal and then bye bye but the process is slower here.

1 hour ago, Brad Leggett said:

Cool it with the snark Ned Small.  I'm just looking for info.  Save it for facebook.

Artsnob,RVGRINGO and I have given you info on working in Mexico and I am not on facebook. Is artsnob being snarky when she suggests that she will not be able to use you if you are not legal to work here?

Brad:

You could visit Mexico as a tourist, with an FMM visitante permit obtained at the border. In that status, you absolutely cannot work.

You could apply for a Residente Temporal Visa, with a letter from your employer confirming your position and his authorization from INM to hire an expat. That is done at the nearest Mexican Consulate in your home country and, if approved, completed in Mexico with the “Lucrativa“ endorsement by INM (immigration) allowing you to work at a specific job.

Your friend, if Mexican, may have no concept of what you must do to be legal as an expat.

• Like 2

Brad...  

You should not have posted your question on this board.  If you look back at the posts of those who replied to you will see one who replied dosent even live in Mexico and posts to just about everything and Quite often posts mis Infomation. 

The other two are just very negative and as you say snarky people.

They don't mention all the gringos here who rent out their casa's, make food to sell at the markets.. and do many other things to make money here.. Are they all leagal and above board....I doubt it... 

• Like 3

Brad, please ignore the snarky comments.  We're not all like that down here, some of us want to help if we can.  I'd suggest that Justin send you a letter of employment that you can take with you to your local consulate.  They should be able to help you get the correct paperwork that you'll need to legally work down here, or at least give you accurate information regarding this matter.  Hope it all goes smoothly for you!

• Like 1

I didn't read Brad's post as looking to be paid for house/pet sitting but rather an offer to house/pet sit in exchange for a place to stay.  Many of us use house/pet sittters under these terms.  No money is exchanged.  Is this considered"working"?  How is it any different than having someone stay as a guest in one's house whether one is present or not? 

• Like 3

Brad I've lived and worked here 3 different times. PM me for info about the residential temporal work visa. I can help you. Teresa