Chapala.com Webboard

Weird Charge on Phone Bill. What is it?

sm1mex

Our phone bill has a charge for 39.00 pesos dated Jul 22-2016 (3 months ago) for Seguro Inbursa Inegral.  We have no clue what this is for, 3 months ago.  Has anyone else had this odd charge and if so, what is it?  We will be going to TelMex to have it removed, whatever it is.

It is an "opt out" little scrap of BS that TelMex is undoubtedly patting themselves on the back for sneaking in. It is an unnanounced and unexplained insurance policy that has nothing to do with your phone. It is tantamount to a website using your personal information to target ads... except that on the Web, you don't get charged without your knowledge and permission. A few years back when Lloyd did this, they almost got themselves blown up by angry mobs. I can only imagine how much TelMex will collect before they have to put the boots to it.

Thanks to the cable company pulling this back in Ontario a few years ago, it is now illegal to do such a thing.

A Google translated web page about this insurance package can be seen here. I recommend calling TelMex and demanding it be removed permanently, and lodging a complaint at the same time. https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftelmex.com%2Fweb%2Fhogar%2Fservicios-membresias-inbursa-integral&edit-text=&act=url

If you Google the name of the insurance company you will find out that it is owned by Carlos Slim. I got the same charge but I think I'm going to just stop paying Telmex.  I use my smartphone now anyway when I need to make phone calls.

3 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Insurance Company??? I have no written policy.  I have no signed paper authorizing any insurance premiums through my phone bill and I have no written beneficiary?  How can I have or be charged for an insurance policy with no permission and no paper work?

I've been charged too but wont be paying...

We went to Telmex yesterday and questioned this.  Yes, it is some type of insurance coverage, however, they should have asked permission and gave you a policy if you wanted it.  Inbursa is a Walmart bank.  We just asked the lady at Telmex to cancel it and she did so right away.  There were not many people there yesterday morning, so we were lucky.  The nerve of Telmex pulling this stunt.  When it happens you have to question it and do something about it.

We went to Telmex this morning and they denied responsibility as "it isnt our charge".  Pffffft!  They enabled it (how else did the insurance company get our details?) and its on their bill.  They said they had sent a msg to the insurance company to stop the charges but when asked, there was no guarantee they wont be there again next month.  We paid the usual amount (389 pesos) without the insurance.

We had the charge removed today.  Lucky no line to see the desk people.  there were other people in there to get their charge taken off also. They sent a message to cancel the charge but could not guarantee it would not appear again next month, so just have to keep watching it and having it taken off until it disappears.  They were very nice and said it wasn't TelMex charging, it was the insurance company.  We paid our usual 389 pesos and were on our way.

21 hours ago, Arroyos said:

We went to Telmex yesterday and questioned this.  Yes, it is some type of insurance coverage, however, they should have asked permission and gave you a policy if you wanted it.  Inbursa is a Walmart bank.  We just asked the lady at Telmex to cancel it and she did so right away.  There were not many people there yesterday morning, so we were lucky.  The nerve of Telmex pulling this stunt.  When it happens you have to question it and do something about it.

Inbursa is not a Walmart bank; it has no connection with Walmart.  Inbursa is a bank and insurance company owned by Carlos Slim, who owns many businesses--but Walmart isn't one of them.

7 minutes ago, More Liana said:

Inbursa is not a Walmart bank; it has no connection with Walmart.  Inbursa is a bank and insurance company owned by Carlos Slim, who owns many businesses--but Walmart isn't one of them.

I think things may have changed.  The Walmart we are discussing has a sign for Inbursa up at the "Walmart" bank space.

Just now, bournemouth said:

I think things may have changed.  The Walmart we are discussing has a sign for Inbursa up at the "Walmart" bank space.

As a follow up - Walmart Mexico sold their bank to Inbursa in 2014 - read here:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/wal-mart-de-mexico-sells-bank-business-to-inbursa-1418941370

4 hours ago, bournemouth said:

Inbursa often has mini-offices in other businesses.

Regarding that charge on the phone bill:

I am waiting for my paper bill to show up under the front door. At Telmex, they said if it didn't show by mail to just come into the office and pay. Fine enough, can do, but I doubt I'd be able to view the bill in that case to check for the bogus charge, eh?

Most TelMex bills are now single rates: $389, $599, $999. Because long distance and landline to cell phones are no longer charged, if you get a variation on that amount, you will know. Especially if it is off by $39p. And they will print out a copy for you (if you are polite; sometimes they just don't feel like it and say "Oh, no...")

21 hours ago, More Liana said:

Uhh Inbursa bought Walmart bank in Mexico so both of you are right.  It use to be Walmart bank.

What gives??  A good friend went to TelMex this morning  and asked about the extra  39 peso charge on her bill.  Actually hers was 78 pesos (39x2).  She was told it was part of the bill and she had to pay it.

On 10/15/2016 at 7:10 AM, lcscats said:

Uhh Inbursa bought Walmart bank in Mexico so both of you are right.  It use to be Walmart bank.

This past weekend, by pure chance, I met a person who for 23 years was one of Carlos Slim's business associate.  This thread came to my mind and I asked him what the scoop was.  LCScats is absolutely right--Inbursa DID buy the Walmart bank.  Thanks for pointing it out so gently, and I stand corrected.  I'm not really right at all.

On 17/10/2016 at 1:36 PM, Denver said:

What gives??  A good friend went to TelMex this morning  and asked about the extra  39 peso charge on her bill.  Actually hers was 78 pesos (39x2).  She was told it was part of the bill and she had to pay it.

They cant force you to pay for something totally unrelated to your telephone account.  She did not request it, does not have any documentation (like a policy).  Return and refuse to pay.

Archived