Chapala.com Webboard

Scam caller

SoxFan

The scam caller called me today. The giveaway was when I answered he called me by the name of someone who had been deceased for 5 years. He pretended he was on skype w/ someone in desperate need of money. I finally told him, if he called this number again, I would curb stomp him. He hung up quickly. The number on caller id is 333 499 3677. Please beware.

Thank you so much for these posts--they saved us from a scam yesterday! Our neighbors were flying back from Dallas yesterday, and we got a call, purportedly from the male neighbor, saying they had been in an accident on the way home and needed us to deposit money to their Oxxo/Banamax account so that they could withdraw enough cash to pay the other driver off, as the other driver was willing to take a relatively small amount of money (p 4,000) rather than go thru all the trouble of calling insurance companies and waiting around by the side of the road. (The funny thing was that they purportedly were not in their own car, supposedly it was a rental car, and the caller claimed the accident was near Jocotepec, which is no where near the route from the airport to their house.) My partner Dave recognized this as a scam that had been reported on chapala.com by several victims. We are going to report the incident this morning--of course, it was too late to do anything last night! We have the Oxxo/Banamax account number--doubt if the reporting will do any good, but we can but try. On the other hand, the caller had enough info to know that our neighbors were on the way back, and he called us and left a message that they were arriving early and had a big surprise gift for us, and would come over when they arrived. (Well, at least that got me to tidy up the living room and check the wine and beer supply!) This was a prelude to the call requesting help, which came a couple of hours later, about the time they said they would be arriving home. So, the caller obviously had access to the info on us that our neighbors supplied in getting their airline tickets. If we get any more info on how the scammer got that info, we will post it here and also, of course, provide it to the appropriate authorities.

Guest bennie2

jaybearll  looks like the scammer kept you busy for a while. maybe he will call again. the horror the horror of it all. can we live thru this?? i think so.

Archived