Chapala.com Webboard

Small farm

Chill123

Hi all!

i am a Canadian interested in retiring in the chapala area. We are interested in having a little hobby farm. Just a few chickens, goats pigs maybe. Also if garden and lots of fruit trees. When I look at property it looks like mostly gated communities that have small yards that likely don't allow animals. So my question is: what area can I find something like this or is it not safe outside gated communities? I tried searching here for this topic but couldn't find anything. Thanks for your help!!

It is certainly safe outside the gated communities in fact I think most house breaks are in the gated communities.  We live in the center of centro Ajijic village - lakeside of the Carreterra & there are many large properties with goats, horses & chickens in the village.  However, a property of this size would be quite expensive if the house was a large renovated hacienda.  Should you look outside Ajijic west to San Juan Cosala & Jocotepic or east of Chapala prices would be lower.  Should you look at the south side of the lake - San Luis Soyatlan , prices would be much lower but no English spoken & a 1/2 hr drive to Jocotepic for shopping.

IMHO, if you question whether or not it is safe outside of gated communities, you are not ready to move here.  You have not done enough homework to make an informed decision.  Keep watching this forum as well as insidelakeside.com and Mexconnect.com.  Also many Facebook sites such as Mexpat Lake Chapala.  Peruse the searches then ask questions for which you have not found answers.  Good luck in your search.

Not everybody here lives in gated communities.  I have no idea what the true percentage would be, but I would guess that at least half of the expats here or probably many more do not live in gated communities.  If you get far enough away from Ajijic, maybe the Santa Cruz and San Nicolas areas, land would be more affordable.  I think it would be safe to live in rural areas here as long as your house has good security like high walls and bars on the windows and such ( don't think that is excessive, that is the norm here) I just wouldn't move too far out in the middle of the boondocks.

I live in West Ajijic on a 1/2 acre property I feel safer here than I ever did in a gated community.  You can find properties on the west side of Ajijic as well as on the East side of Chapala get a real estate agent looking for you.  if you are game to having your own house built the 1/2 acre beside me is for sale. You will find the properties on the east side of Chapala cheaper than the west side of Ajijic. Your best bet is to come down and rent a place while you explore your options.

"If you get far enough away from Ajijic, maybe the Santa Cruz and San Nicolas areas, land would be more affordable.  I think it would be safe to live in rural areas here as long as your house has good security like high walls and bars on the windows"

How can it be safe and enjoy living with bars on the windows? If that is the norm than i would consider living somewhere else.   

I used to hate the bars on the windows thing, but having lived in New Mexico, I got used to them. The ironworkers/welders can make them look very stylish so you don't feel like you are locked in a prison. 

1 hour ago, Aviator said:

"If you get far enough away from Ajijic, maybe the Santa Cruz and San Nicolas areas, land would be more affordable.  I think it would be safe to live in rural areas here as long as your house has good security like high walls and bars on the windows"

How can it be safe and enjoy living with bars on the windows? If that is the norm than i would consider living somewhere else.   

If having bars on windows and doors would make your life unenjoyable, then Mexico is most likely not the place for you unless you live in something like a high rise apartment or condo, preferably with a doorman.  

Over the past 11 years I have added iron bars to all my home's windows and doors for the same reason I had a burglar system and locks on my doors in the US--security.  I was burglarized there when they kicked in the front door, thus the installation of the alarm system.  I was burglarized here when they managed to get my patio door open, thus the installation of iron doors on all doors.  Finding someone has been in your home leaves you with such a sense of beiing violated.  More than anything I think of these security measures as a deterrent to burglars.  Instead of feeling like I am inside a prison, the bars give me freedom to go out and enjoy life without worrying that I will come home and find my home has been burglarized.   Burglars will choose the houses that are the easiest to enter, I.e. those without bars.  It didn't take long to get used to the bars and now homes without bars look naked and extremely vulnerable to me--easy pickings to a burglar's eyes.

It all comes down to choices. whatever makes you feel secure then so be it. I think the term "Mexico Is most likely not the place for you" is overly used. I have known many people who died in a fire because the bars kept them from escaping so there is an objective side as with anything. Me personally, I'm not attached to material things and if i'm that worried about something than i would move and not live in fear.     

I think there is a few people who live in fear and put bars on all the windows etc. I have owned 3 homes in Ajijic , Riberas ,La Floresta and now west Ajijic.   The only place I was scared was in La Floresta and that was from a violent neighbour  nothing to do with Mexico. I moved away from the problem.  I think we all have to use Common sense in protecting ourselves at home or walking the streets. I have a number of friends living on small farm type properties with horses etc., Not the size of the small farms in Canada but adequate for what the OP is looking for. Not one of them have bars on the windows or over the top security systems,  You have to make a trip down to get a realistic view of the area and determine whether this is the place for you.   It is certainly a great place for gardening.

Don't know which part of Canada you're from, but the idea of having a "small farm......", while a nice dream, would need some tremendous adjustments on your part, depending on how experienced you are with (1) livestock and (2) gardening. We were raised in Alberta, then lived in BC (interior and Vancouver Island) before coming here in late 1990's. Had livestock and gardens in more than one Canadian location.

Coming here is a whole new ball game -- different soil, water, altitude, latitude, temperatures,day length, PESTS and DISEASES etc. So DO come, and DO look at opportunities, but be very careful before you leap.

I rented a beautiful furnished house in Santa Cruz de la Soledad (between Chapala and Mezcala) about 7 years ago for $4000 pesos/month ($210/mo at today's exchange rate) with plenty of room for a garden and plenty of lots nearby for rent where you could farm and have animals. It was normal to have my dirt driveway filled with cows and horses every morning (the house was fenced and had an automatic gate) but not in the yard proper.

I loved the pueblo. I loved the people. I loved the peace and quiet. I loved the house. I loved the price. But, I had so much trouble getting enough electricity to run the coffee pot, let alone a computer and internet was so difficult to obtain and keep up -- even as slow as it was that I had to move.

Here are some pics of the house: http://bit.ly/2dyD3zo

I hear the house is rented by an attorney from Guadalajara, now and is unavailable.

Hi Chilli123, 

I recomend you to someone who is very good at finding especific places to live around all Ribera de Chapala. 

Contact Gaby Torres by e-mail: gabriela@chapalajara.com

I'm pretty sure she will help you find the right place you are looking for. 

Good look!

Claus.

A friend purchased several adjacent properties in the north part of Chapala near the agricultural part of Chapala and has made her farm there. She raises turkeys, chickens and ducks, no larger animals. She is making what will probably be the most fabulous fruit orchard in the area there. But most of the posters on this topic are correct in saying that you`ll most easily find small farm type  properties east of Chapala in Santa Cruz and San Nicolas, San Juan, Los Sabinos and the other small towns and communities in that area.

Archived