Chapala.com Webboard

What is UP with our WalMart?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree about the daytime sticking of shelves and the difficulty navigating through all the boxes and pallets stacked in the aisles. Let's not forget the repeated experience of returning an electronic item that clearly does not work, and seeing the same item back on the shelves the next day.

Also I don't understand the clothing strategy. I was looking for some shorts the other day, but the 20 or 30 pairs on the racks were all the same size! I don't think the general population are that uniform....

14 hours ago, virgogirl said:

B)Because it's "ghetto". So if you want cheap, or whatever you are looking for that's what you put up with. Something I accept if I'm walking in the door. I realize I might not give 2 cents about my job either if had to watch rich foreigners fill their shopping carts to the brim while I'm making peanuts. They may not even be able to afford a 10 peso taco after work on their wages. I feel that sometimes, and it's only another reason I fly lower under the radar here and avoid the place. When I go in I try to enjoy it for what it is and not think they have to cater to me in any way, shape or form.

Why do you think they cannot afford a taco? They are all living on the Mexican economy, not on NOB economy. Their rent is probably not a quarter or less of what many of the foreign community are paying, most do not have the expense of cars, etc which many foreigners feel is a must. This job for them is an excellent one, they are out of the sun and rain, warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Applying the values of other countries is like comparing apples and oranges. They live according to their culture, not ours. When the minimum wage is about 72 pesos A DAY, (or eight hours or more), NOT AN HOUR, earning  approximately 200 for 8 hours is great for them. (And they usually do not have to do heavy labor as many maids do). I am sure they are also getting the benefits as required by law. So, who are you to say they are suffering? They are not unhappy with this. Just because many are paying much more to their maids doesn't change this. In fact, it was stated a few years ago that Mexicans are upset with this as they no longer can afford to have a maid. Oh, btw, I have seen many Mexicans with overflowing carts, many of them luxury items. Who do you think are buying all the computers, tvs, large appliances, etc and giving Walmart a profit? Not foreigners but Mexicans.

Well said, Luv.  Walmart of Mexico is probably still Mexico‘s largest employer. That is success. It is tailored to the Mexican market and stocks products that sell in that market. It is not the same as Walmart USA, which sells to various US markets and tailors its stock to each area. It is not uniform.

Guest bennie2

old felix, #1) YOU do not know about the human rights scandals in walmarts about 7-10 years ago. this was in the middle of the US. it was reported in the local papers but hidden from national news. #2) it is not capital-ism, it is corporat-ism. learn the difference. #3) there is no room for advancement. there is a fast turnover for help. who is to say its an "excellent" job? #4) all i have seen there are grossly obese mis shapen bloated half naked people with carts filled w/garbage. the place smells of plastic. its like something i could not imagine untill i moved here. as i said, the prices are the same or higher than small businesses. people shop where they are comfortable. if you are not, change the channel.

I am amazed that there are so many "Walmart Haters" , but continue to shop for the selection & low prices.  Why do you live in Mexico.. One of the reasons is the "cost of living" ??  I do not hear or read any of you critics making statements about the Mexican businesses that pay less than Walmart, do not have the selection, and do not pay IMSS for their employees.

No One is forced to work for Walmart.  They apply for the job.  For smart & willing to work employees , there is advancement opportunity.  Evidenced by the growth (and because of that "ugly" word profit) , Populations from many different Cultures & Locales continue to spend their money in Walmart Stores.  I do not subscribe to the belief that Capitalism is a bad system.  And for your charges that Walmart violates Human Rights, there is probably no other Company in the World that is monitored /inspected that Walmart.

This thread is about mismanagement at the local WalMart.

It is not about WalMart as a concept or a company.

And if anyone thinks for one second that having problems with a single store is reason enough to leave the country, then I see a real difficulty of another kind.

Guest bennie2

its one store, we have many options here. as i said i cant speak for electronics, for my needs it doesnt work. after finding my special product (on an empty peaceful nite), i also found some other good things which surprised me. i learned that they stop carrying certain brands/products even if they sell. these brands may be in the US walmarts (as google reports) but not here. so there is no need to return. as for food options, we have many in ajijic. 

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

And if anyone thinks for one second that having problems with a single store is reason enough to leave the country, then I see a real difficulty of another kind.

Thanks, ComputerGuy, for trying to bring comments back to the OP. But, folks, don't look for any good changes any time soon.

I was in the store today and asked Omar,  who is some upper level of Supervisor, what was going on. He was hesitant to say much more than "there are lots of changes happening". Looked pretty uncomfortable about talking to me at all (in case being observed?).

Then I asked the ONE baker behind the counter, in a kitchen that was almost totally engulfed in darkness "why is there no product on the shelves?". His answer -- "because we have no bakers, Señora. Why?  They all QUIT.  Oh -- well, maybe the new manager will make things better?"

"NO Señora, he is the reason they quit!"

Heading to the Walmart web page now to  protest bad changes in this store. Suggest others might want to do the same ..........

There is a BIG difference between capitalism as practiced by a company that had respect for its employees and suppliers and positive environmental practices (a good corporate citizen) and a company like Walmart that screws employees, suppliers and anyone else who gets in its way. If products in the U.S. are too often found to contain ingredients different than those listed on the package, I can only imagine what you are buying from Walmart Mexico.

Thank you for all the replies and opinions about Wal-mart. the on topic and off topic.(sorry I got off topic) I appreciate the food for thought. I don't want to be a hypocrite. I use it occasionally, stocked or not stocked. I guess you can't compare it with the states. But with further investigation, I may be able to do so  with more intelligence. I would guess it doesn't well support employees in any locale. maybe this is why it is unstocked and aisles are blocked and dangerous. They don't care? Low morale?

50 minutes ago, Natasha said:

I was in the store today and asked Omar,  who is some upper level of Supervisor, what was going on. He was hesitant to say much more than "there are lots of changes happening". Looked pretty uncomfortable about talking to me at all (in case being observed?). Then I asked the ONE baker behind the counter, in a kitchen that was almost totally engulfed in darkness "why is there no product on the shelves?". His answer -- "because we have no bakers, Señora. Why?  They all QUIT.  Oh -- well, maybe the new manager will make things better?" "NO Señora, he is the reason they quit!" Heading to the Walmart web page now to  protest bad changes in this store. Suggest others might want to do the same ..........

Whoa.

Walmart has some items and/or brands that I like to buy that are not for sale in other stores. So, I do shop at Walmart frequently, regardless of what I think of Walmart as a corporation.

When I have been to the local Walmart, the people operating the floor washing/squeegee machine are always courteous and stop to allow the customer to go first. Not so with the floor jack operators moving outrageously oversized pallets making the customers wait (during the day) while they jockey the pallet back and forth, back and forth, back and forth to try to get around a corner -- a maneuvering act they might not have to do if they had smaller pallets and did not also have the end-aisles full of other pallets.  

I did get to meet two other couples who were trapped between the juice boxes and the frozen meats in the back meat section while we had to wait for the floor jack operator to get around the corner so we could go anywhere. (There were pallets between the meat freezers making a retreat the other direction a lengthy proposition.) The people I met while we were trapped were very nice people, and I will wave to you if I see you there, but I do not go to Walmart to meet people and socialize.

I understand restocking needs, but not so aggressively that the customers actually get trapped in an aisle during the day.

I did not really give much thought about this new restocking change until I saw this thread. Now it dawns on me that it is a problem and has been getting worse. I just realized that I have been subconsciously getting very adept at parking my cart between pallets so I can get butter out of the refrigerated section without blocking the entire pallet-filled aisle by stopping in the aisle, opening the door and getting my butter out, putting it in my cart and then looking at the face of an oncoming customer as we try to figure out how we are going to get past each other in the aisle.

There is a happy medium between not giving a squat if items are out of stock on the shelves and inconveniencing the customers in order to stock the shelves.

If an item is not on the shelf I figure it will probably be there tomorrow after they stock the shelves at night. (Emphasis on "at night" -- as in when customer convenience and courtesy is not a necessary consideration.)

See ya at Walmart. I'll be the guy waving across the pallets at ya!

12 hours ago, gcaschetta said:

Walmart , like McDonalds Is not meant to be a job that you get and expect to raise a family on . If you expect it to be, you are already a loser and have no business having children that some day you have to send to college

wow. are you a human being? calling people losers for taking a low paying job to support themselves and family is amazingly callous. in some places in the states there are no real jobs available--the local dentist, plumber, lawyer already have all their staff and unless you work for one of these corporations your choices are few. education doesn't help anymore, look at all the unemployed college grads loaded with debt.. the casual economy has been outlawed, unlike in mexico. in small town america you can leave town to work, take a local corporate franchise job, go on welfare or take up pole dancing. to dispise people for trying to make the best of a bad situation is more a reflection on you than them....sheesh.

Well , " Walkers " , That is why I'm successful and people like that will always be poor .  If you have to depend on Walmart or McDonalds or your government to help you get thru life and want to have your children be educated and successful , yes, you are a loser, and probably not that smart. Or don't have kids that you can't support

I dunno, it just feels like this store has had management problems from the beginning.  Maybe the better managers see it as a backwater.

Walkers, I'm assuming the second part of your post is your response, which you need to move outside of the quote brackets.  You can edit your post to do so.

But you are right, the opportunities for good jobs are going straight south and it is wrong to denigrate people who have to seek employment at sweatshop employers.  I think they deserve much more respect for wanting to work no matter what.

Guest bennie2

many mex walmart workers families were farmers. they lost their land so corps could build walmart & other monsters. the corps figured that these people would work for them. now you get it? some are indentured servants. in the US walmart workers families were in manufacturing. since the factories moved to mexico & china, they have no choice. you can rationalize & call it eminent domain. (for the public good). you can feel important & think the walmart was put there for your expat pleasure. most likely this store is a writeoff. meanwhile if you want to shop where people are mopping thats your choice. thats something i see in other places as well. 

6 hours ago, gcaschetta said:

Well , " Walkers " , That is why I'm successful and people like that will always be poor .  If you have to depend on Walmart or McDonalds or your government to help you get thru life and want to have your children be educated and successful , yes, you are a loser, and probably not that smart. Or don't have kids that you can't support

Really?

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:58 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Interesting  the comment about the bakery section. The selection has been getting less and less. I have been looking for apple pies for more than 2 weeks and have been getting some sort of excuse ..manana

Archived