Chapala.com Webboard

What is UP with our WalMart?

Man, there are sections in the store these days I can't even get to (men's sports clothing, for example) because of the boxes piled around for weeks now. Empty shelves, missing product... again for weeks. Workers standing around yakking or yelling across the aisles at each other. (Staff are not trained at this one to respect shoppers; just try to walk past one in your way, or catch yourself side-stepping as they try to walk through you... a story for another day.) New manager again? Can't count the number they've had since opening.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same in the states. The staff hides and tries not to give customer service.So common. I have hated walmart forever, but i found it handy this time around since a month ago, i did not bring down much and could just drag a cart around and get a mirror, weight scale, shelving units, etc all in one fell sweep. I didn't think the guys in the parking lot were as aggressive as 3 years ago. I did find the help I needed when I needed it there. 

Easy to pick up my almond mild, cocowater/milk. Once I find the items elsewhere, my walmart shopping days will be numbered.

2 hours ago, GeckoGretchen said:

Maybe this is a good thing... we can start seeing some of our other stores, family businesses, make some headway they lost years ago when Walmart came in and took over

But my gripe is with management of this store, right now.

Write to the Walmart Mexico customer service address on their website. I did this two years ago, they brought in Sergio and everything improved but he left in August (he went to Brasil to coach kids in football) and it's been a downhill slide since. And can I remind everyone how many people are employed there? We who are privileged may not appreciate how little it takes to make a real difference for a family here.

Sergio was the manager? Well, you're right: the timing of his departure coincides with the downslide at the store, that's for sure. My impression is that no one was brought in to replace him... that would never happen, right?

3 hours ago, johnnyg said:

CG, could not agree more. Plus, dodging the huge pot hole in the entrance that has been there for months. It is almost worth the drive to Mega to avoid our Walmart.

What is the best way to drive to Mega from Chapala? On Walmart, I believe they pay the lowest in this area for this type of work, but at least people know the company is going to be around for a while. Soriana seems to have fairly happy employees, I think they have won awards as an employer. At Walmart, I always laugh at the employees scooting to the employee entrance, many of them 10 to 15 minutes late. I think Mexico is one of the few countries where many businesses pay a bonus if you actually show up on time.

44 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

What is the best way to drive to Mega from Chapala? On Walmart, I believe they pay the lowest in this area for this type of work, but at least people know the company is going to be around for a while. Soriana seems to have fairly happy employees, I think they have won awards as an employer. At Walmart, I always laugh at the employees scooting to the employee entrance, many of them 10 to 15 minutes late. I think Mexico is one of the few countries where many businesses pay a bonus if you actually show up on time.

Mega has their stores next to Costco's. Just follow the directions to Costco. Plenty of directions on this board.

Guest bennie2

how can you expect anything there? its a downtrodden  warehouse. theres nothing to buy that you cant get somewhere else. (except one product which lasts me a year). its not gourmet garage or whole foods or starbucks. they dont hire unemployed college grads, highschool grads. i never saw a walmart (or a mega store) untill they built one here. thinking walmart was "discount"- i was disspointed. the prices are either the same or more than small stores. in small stores, i walk in & then walk out. done. walmart has gigantic size detergents that i cant even lift. the place smells & is ugly across the board. why not deal w/the owner of a store rather than a faceless employee? i call it the bigotry of low expectations. you get exactly what you see in front of you. it already tells you what its about. 

I have hesitated to say anything negative about Walmart less I'm accused of bringing my Canadian "expectations" to this store.

Never have I experienced such poorly-trained staff,  last week a strapping big employee almost knocked me down.

One could go on and on,but that would solve nothing, the only thing I can do is vote with my feet,

If I'm not a "valued customer" Walmart is the loser.

If you knew what they pay the help you would be appalled.  Our maids make twice as much.

I hate to tell you but their primary customers are Mexicans.  They even come by the bus load, I'm assuming from the south side of the lake and/or outlying towns.

Walmart U.S. isn't much better.

I just do not get it I get good service at Walmart the staff is nice and helpful  when I ask for help with my sandbox spanish I wish they had a better selection of some items but I wish that in most stores here in Mexico.  The store looked better a few months ago but I hope that it is just a temporary situation which will be rectified when the new manager takes over.

I am glad Walmart is here it saves me running all over trying to find things.

I have always been treated with friendliness and courtesy. Part of the golden rule effect. Do I wish they were more consistently stocked? Of course, but after +20 years in Mexico I am not going to give myself ulcers over one more store out of hundreds that stops stocking an item simply because they can't keep it on the shelves long enough.

Guest bennie2

MC, i forgot the mention the very low pay.  also a creepy envirement to work in. walmart is one of the worst corps in the USA. there were human rights violations which are un acceptable. the media covered up the scandal. its as if they want to be like china. people like this store for what ever which reason. go figure. there are more walmarts (walmex) in central america then any other part of the world. 

1 hour ago, bennie2 said:

MC, i forgot the mention the very low pay.  also a creepy envirement to work in. walmart is one of the worst corps in the USA. there were human rights violations which are un acceptable. the media covered up the scandal. its as if they want to be like china. people like this store for what ever which reason. go figure. there are more walmarts (walmex) in central america then any other part of the world. 

No One is forced to work for Walmart.  They apply for the job.  For smart & willing to work employees , there is advancement opportunity.  Evidenced by the growth (and because of that "ugly" word profit) , Populations from many different Cultures & Locales continue to spend their money in Walmart Stores.  I do not subscribe to the belief that Capitalism is a bad system.  And for your charges that Walmart violates Human Rights, there is probably no other Company in the World that is monitored /inspected that Walmart.

The thing that offended me and had me using Walmart as little as possible in the states is that they underpay the staff so severely and keep the hours part-time so that the family has to get foodstamps and medicaid when they only want to be fully paying citizens not on the dole. That offends me. I'm not totally against multi-national corporations, but really, they scoop all the money up to the 1 percent-ers. It's corporate abuse. It's the corporation benefiting grandly, not a very big benefit for anyone working there to get ahead  or have a livable wage with benefits. It is the modern form of slave labor in my opinion. I've used it occasionally,found staff very helpful for the most part, but now that I am settled will be wanting to support the small guy when I can.

I shop at Walmart because it is the most convenient but every time I leave there I think "Walmart should be ashamed."  First our local Walmart offers so little compared to the Walmarts I am familiar with in the US.  Secondly it seems that the local branch is often out of items I am looking for and have purchased there previously, even what I would consider basics.  My third gripe is how the aisles are often blocked with shelves being stocked during prime shopping time and the employees doing the stocking don't seem to have any awareness of customers trying to reach certain items and don't move out of the way or offer to help reach the item.  I have never encountered this situation at Soriana orMega or at any store in the US, including Walmart.  I assume these other stores stock shelves at night, even here in Mexico.  Why doesn't Walmart do that?

B)Because it's "ghetto". So if you want cheap, or whatever you are looking for that's what you put up with. Something I accept if I'm walking in the door. I realize I might not give 2 cents about my job either if had to watch rich foreigners fill their shopping carts to the brim while I'm making peanuts. They may not even be able to afford a 10 peso taco after work on their wages. I feel that sometimes, and it's only another reason I fly lower under the radar here and avoid the place. When I go in I try to enjoy it for what it is and not think they have to cater to me in any way, shape or form.

I was there today. Sure, many things were stacked in the isles making it harder to get around. Some departments have been relocated to very different areas of the store than where they were before. It is pretty obvious that they are in a major redesign of the layout of the store. Never fun for us who like to know where things are, but that also happens from time to time in Walmart and most other stores in the US. Nothing unique about "our" local Walmart.

Well, you sure are seeing something I'm not seeing. Redesign? Relocation? I'll keep watching as I stumble through the mountains of boxes and unconcerned employees.

Two things: everyone else stocks at night. We all had crap jobs as kids; didn't make me hate "rich" anybody. And it ain't just foreigners shopping there.

Archived