Chapala.com Webboard

OK, What is this Sam's Club rumor all about?

Mainecoons

I keep hearing this rumor that there is going to be a Sam's Club built where the nursery is now, on the NW corner of the Libremiento/Carretera intersection.  

Apparently the property has been sold but I can't imagine Sam's Club coming to a low population out of town area like this.  Seems completely out of character with where I've seen their other stores and WalMart didn't even see the need for a full size store here.

Two questions:  Has the property in fact been sold?

Is something big coming there?

Has anyone heard more from credible sources about this?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea if its true or not, but what fun the speculation eh? It would be good for the area to attract businesses like these, and others like them, if only to improve the tax base and for employment ops. Is it possible that Sam's/Walmart would do this? Well, it fits their MO. They opened a scaled down store in Iguala Guerrero with considerable success servicing a catchment area of about 200,000 people. I am not sure Greater Riberas fits that demographic but we are probably close. Sam's Iguala branch was opened shortly after Iguala got their first modern day grocery store, La Bodega. At the time everyone was scoffing that the town would even be able to support a store like La Bodega. Well, ten years on and both La Bodega and Sam's are doing extremely well and a Mega Commercial has arrived alongside a very modern shopping mall that includes a Macdonald's. All doing well. The improved services have attracted a lot of new services to Iguala and you now see car dealerships and others hallmarks of a growiing city popping up everywhere (Yes Starbucks is there). Walmarts presence in our area bears the same MO so I suppose it it could happen here too....

Guest bennie2

expect all the nurseries to dissppaer. i was surprised this one lasted as long as it did. i dont care about attracting what ever to the area. dont know what a sams club is but from what MC wrote, its another ugly useless warehouse.

Yes it is a warehouse type store, designed to compete with Costco.  Not at the same level of quality of both goods and employees IMO.

Had a friend who worked for a while at the local WalMart.  The pay there is truly dismal.

I'm assuming you are referring to the Bodega Aurrera, also owned by WalMart.  There's one in Jocotepec. 

Guest bennie2

MC, dont know what this "bodega" warehouse is either. (joco is not near by). there was some land which was purchased around 10 or so years back, centro. it was a corn or vegetable field. the rumor (realestate agent) was that it was going to be a burger king. the lot still is empty. it became dirty & ugly & full of garbage now its cleaned up & looks ok. who knows what will happen later. its my feeling that there wont even be a la floresta in the future. it may be a stadium, a mall w/apartmemt houses, parking lots. if you know what guad looked like 50 plus years ago, you can see what they will do. the plan for this area was in place more than 15 years. amusment parks were coming all along the lake, but it was blocked. (they expected 10,000 visitors on weekends). sorry i didnt save the artical. back to walmart: if an experience is so repulsive (IMO) then it should be a real discount outlet like they had way back in the 50s or 60s. people went into some badly lit depressing place to get closeouts & overstocks. walmart prices are the same or higher than the small stores. 

First of all I don't know but, you need a large demographics to support this type of store. I do not see it happening here. I probably spend more than a thousand dollars a month in Costco and Sam's. I also use the local stores in Jocotepec also. We'll see. I just want a Taco Bell for real tacos.  

32 minutes ago, vetteforron said:

First of all I don't know but, you need a large demographics to support this type of store. I do not see it happening here. I probably spend more than a thousand dollars a month in Costco and Sam's. I also use the local stores in Jocotepec also. We'll see. I just want a Taco Bell for real tacos.  

Mexican People Try Taco Bell

3 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

A Dairy Queen would clean up here.  Gringos and Mexicans love ice cream and love those blizzards !

You are correct,  I was I Guad in a shopping Ctr on Revolucion, and in the Food Court the only place doing business was DQ, with a long line, which I joined and waited for my Blizzard ... 70 pesos is not a cheap item for Mexicans

I always thought that entering and exiting Walmart was dangerous and extremely poorly designed.  Why didn't they make the entrance into Walmart right at the intersection, so when you are coming down the libramiento, you would just drive straight across the intersection and straight into Walmart.  The carretera is in serious need of a center turning lane.  And the idea of a lateral road may have been great years ago when there was very little traffic, but now that the area is getting all built up, for the safety of everyone on the roads here, somethings need to change and be greatly modified.  They need to hire some engineers from Guadalajara who are specialized in urban planning, because the local urban planners, if they exist, need some serious help and advice.  

Since, Mexico is hell-bent on Americanizing everything, why not do it right, the first time around, of course.  Build a medium sized American style strip mall facing the Centro Laguna (not Walmart, not enough space), make Mega the central attraction and have additionally up to ten or so medium sized stores like petco, michaels, radio shack, you name it.  Put a restaurant on the corner opposite black coffee by the intersection, but please no Mcdonalds or any American fast food chains, but a Mexican chain like a VIPS, Sanbornes, or something of the like.  Make the parking lot big and spacious with lots of trees and gardens for beautification purposes.  So, folks, how does that sound?  They are going to Americanize it anyways, so they should at least do it right.

46 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

, but please no Mcdonalds or any American fast food chains, but a Mexican chain like a VIPS, Sanbornes, or something of the like.  Make the parking lot big and spacious with lots of trees and gardens for beautification purposes.  So, folks, how does that sound?  They are going to Americanize it anyways, so they should at least do it right.

Have you ever eaten at a VIPS or Sanbornes?  :unsure:

Well, I guess with my family living down here, everytime we will go out to eat with the kids, if there is a Mcdonalds, they will beg to eat there everytime.  I remember living in Venezuela, we had Tropi Burger and the Arturo's Fried Chicken franchise, are there any really good Mexican equivalent chains other than pollo feliz around here that would make the surrounding environment look less Americanized?

3 hours ago, Lulugirl said:

Have you ever eaten at a VIPS or Sanbornes?  :unsure:

Many times and the steaks, breakfast, etc.,  are  consistently good everywhere we have eaten. As we travel often, we probably east at a Vips at least 40 times a year, so we do have a LOT of good experiences. Service is excellent, but you tell the waitress exactly how you want things prepared and what you expect from her, and she will gladly comply.

Archived