Chapala.com Webboard

Moving from Seattle to GDL, best way to move/ship household goods?

RonanGDL

On 10/9/2016 at 11:30 PM, mudgirl said:

Your mom might also want to have some alternatives lined up in case she finds she can´t make it comfortably to Navajoa the first night. When I last drove down, it took a long time at the border to get through the car paperwork (I was convoying with someone else, and it was quite busy there, so it took us a lot longer to get on the road than we were anticipating), then we ran into a lot of highway construction. By the time we were nearing Guaymas, we were fried and ready to stop for the night.

Before Guaymas , there is a turnoff to the west for San Carlos. There is a Best Western on the right hand side as you are getting into San Carlos, called Hacienda Tatakawi, where we stayed. It was quite nice, and they had a good restaurant upstairs at the front, so we didn´t have to go out into town to eat.

Same farther south, she should have some alternatives lined up in case she doesn´t make it as far as she had planned.

When I moved here 11 years ago it was in December.  Because of all the people returning for the holidays it took me two hours in line at Km 21 to get TIP.  If you can do that ahead of time online, do it.  I have also never seen bundles on vehicles as large as those I saw on the that trip.  Some bundles were taller than the vehicles!  And every single one had at least one bicycle tied on top.

18 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

I tried to send you a PM, but it says, “vivien cannot receive messages.“

Check your profile to see if your settings are causing this.

Vivien,

Sonia has kindly responded to a test message that I sent to her yesterday. So, the system appears to be OK.  If you cannot send or receive PMs, check your settings, then contact the administrator to report the problem if adjusting your settings does not provide a solution.

It is a pretty straight shot from Seattle thru Tri-Cities, Boise, SLC, west corner of Col, down thru NM and West Texas. All 75mph roads except WA and OR.  Last night in Cotulla, TX, an hour N of Laredo and cross border at the Columbia Bridge  (opens 8am). One 11 hr day to Ajijic.

On 10/11/2016 at 11:26 AM, Sonia said:

For sake of 185 miles, known highways, often higher speed limits, familiar hotels and restaurants, no tolls in the US others who contemplated both options were happy to go via Laredo.

That's my mantra also. Except I generally choose Eagle Pass/Peidras Negras.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2016 at 9:52 AM, tomgates said:

It is a pretty straight shot from Seattle thru Tri-Cities, Boise, SLC, west corner of Col, down thru NM and West Texas. All 75mph roads except WA and OR.  Last night in Cotulla, TX, an hour N of Laredo and cross border at the Columbia Bridge  (opens 8am). One 11 hr day to Ajijic.

Hey Tom, one of those trips you should try crossing at Eagle Pass. Leave Interstate 10 anywhere from Fort Stockton to Sonora. Stay the night in Eagle Pass and take 57 down. Just as easy to cross as Colombia, pay fewer tolls, very good roads and still get to Lakeside the next day.

Archived