Chapala.com Webboard

4 Ambulances just headed west

ned small

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, hilobarbie said:

Lcscats, how do you locate the star rating and chasis that you mention?

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings 

(These insurance safety institute standards are  higher than government standards so I use these, you can use NHSTA government standards also.) ( The IIHS standards are always a year or so ahead of the government standards)

Note the differences between a 2013 and the later Honda Fits.  4 star for the older version of the car due to poor results from the partial front impact test which the newer Fit/HRV does much better with five stars. This test is very hard to pass as instead of a full head on crash they hit the front corner of the car which gives you much less metal to get rid of the energy.  Newer small cars do much better on this test.  Please the older Honda Fits are very good safe cars just not as safe as newer Fits/HRV.  I think the picture says much about the safety of front seat occupants while it does make one think about the back seat in this particular crash.  I once was loaned an old Chevy spark and looked at it carefully and decided it was just too dangerous to drive.  No door bars, no air bags, engine goes into passenger compartment instead of going down like newer cars in a front end collision.  I now demand at least these few safety features in any car I buy. A small car has a much more difficult job compared to bigger vehicles in a crash but I would take a newer small car over a older bigger car in many situations.  Weight is fine but not the automatic safe thing that it use to be.   Believe it or not a couple of generation old 1/2 ton Ford pickups are not very safe compared to an older Honda Fit no less a new one.  As always it depends on a lot of factors. Also understand many inexpensive cars here could not be sold in US/Can due to a lack of safety standards like my example of a older chevy spark.  Newer sparks have all the safety goodies as they are sold NOB but I still bet they sell cars here that could not meet NOB standards.  I love my two small cars and feel safe in them but pick the right car.  Sorry for the long winded blah blah but those picture really got to me thinking about my wife in the same situation.

Speed limit is 60 km, then it changes near Mission Chula Vista to 40, to the intersection, very few follow this speed and when they do they are passed and drivers get really aggravated.

the driver should driven towards the vivero like the Pepsi driver rather than go thru the intersection,. He was lucky no one died.

I tried slowing to 40 km one day, where posted, and was pulled over by the traffic cops for going so slow and impeding the flow of traffic. When I pointed out I was just obeying the signs, he laughed and said that was not realistic and was unsafe as it slowed everyone down so suddenly. It's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Does anyone know the condition of the injured? I hope everyone is recovering.

Unrealistic traffic limits are the norm in this country and, like their counterparts NOB, contribute to speeding and disregard for traffic laws.  The cops up there use them as a revenue racket (more than a few towns make a very large part of their budget on this scam) and the ones down here use them when they want to raise a little "personal" money.  Otherwise, they and the public ignore them.  

It is a proven engineering fact the safest speed is the one that 80 percent of the drivers are traveling at.

Archived