Chapala.com Webboard

4 Ambulances just headed west

ned small

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many new trucks have automatic transmissions, which will protect themselves by shifting up at a certain high revolution, after having been manually down-shifted by the driver on a downgrade. As such, it is imperative to use the Jake-brake correctly, as well as the air-brakes.  If not managed correctly, the brakes will over-heat and be virtually useless.  I would not be surprised if such a scenario caused this accident. 

There used to be a series of topes on the libramiento.  They served a useful purpose, but people complained about them.  When a governor‘s limo hit one too fast, many years ago, they were instantly removed.  Perhaps it is time for new topes.

OMG Please no topes. They won't stop a truck with no brakes. They won't make a stupid driver smarter. They really are good at damaging vehicles but not much else. Here there is no thought or reason to their placement.  Half the time they last a few months and are never replaced. And topes before a stop light??? Then why have a stop light??  We are all sorry for people hurt but topes would not have prevented the accident. If you have no brakes you can't stop for a tope. 

15 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Amazing how many trucks lose their brakes here!

When we rented at Chulavista Norte we were annoyed by big trucks using their airbrakes going down that hill. But it was probably because they wanted to save little bit of the regular breaking power they had if any . I also blame the condition of these vehicles for accidents..... waiting to happen.

Islander:

Air brakes make no noise.  What ypu hear is the exhaust brake; ie: Jake brake, which is absolutely necessary on a large truck; especially if it has an automatic transmission.  If overloaded, even that may not be enough to control the vehicle if it is allowed to go too fast on a downgrade.  Driving skill is imperative.

2 hours ago, SunshineyDay said:

Do they do impact studies before they build or construct projects or roads here. Did they in this case?

The Libriamento was finished in 80's. Study what... a "T" intersection with a stop light?  Very common all over the world.

The problem is poor or no driver training, and poor or no maintenance. I would venture to say 20% of the Mexican  drivers that live lakeside have no drivers license, or insurance, and as to vehicle maintenance............ only when it breaks down and then the repair is at that location.

Why don't they make a runaway truck "safe escape" on the right side near the bottom of the road.  It might replace the Ajijic sign  but be safer for everyone in the long run.

Not sure the correct name for it --where the truck pulls to side of road and ends up in a lot of sand to stop him.

Called a "runaway truck lane" and there are usually signs for it about 1/2 mile away to alert a driver who is having problems. The government could take by eminent domain the vivero and Tobolandia and that should be enough of a runway with sand barrels at the end

Sorry, no Sam's Club under that scenario.

Topes will be necessary at the top of the hill to bring the trucks to a very slow speed and then more topes to force maintaining a slow speed.. IF at this point the driver senses Brake problems a "Run-A-Way lane would be available and the Driver could enter.  If the Brakes fail, "Jake Brakes" would not halt the vehicle.  Jake Brakes are only to help regular brakes. In the existing situation vehicles enter the downgrade at an excessive speed, and for a Run-A-Way , the driver would have to have time to enter, and the entry would probably have to be across from Pemex.   BUT TOPES will be necessary to cause reduction of speed at the top of the downgrade, and more topes closer to the intersection.  Probably at least three  in total

How about a weigh station and brake check area on the flat land in ixlauacan? All the big trucks pass there. Those that fail are towed to an impound lot nearby and are not released until all is in order and the stiff fines paid. NOB that would solve the problem. Unfortunately, here it would just create more opportunities for mordidas.

1 hour ago, lcscats said:

The wierd thing is the picture with the two small cars is I own both types.  I have a Honda Fit and the other small car with the bumper torn off is a Nissan Micra made in England like I own for cobblestone work.  Strange.

It wasn't a Fit but a Honda HRV.

7 hours ago, bournemouth said:

It wasn't a Fit but a Honda HRV.

An HRV  is a bigger body on a newer style Fit car frame just like a CRV is built on a Civic car frame. Thanks for the correction Bournemouth.  Almost all these cars are built on a car Chassis anymore.  Thinking about it I doubt if they would have done as well with  the old Fit chassis as it is only four star instead of five star of the newer Fit / HRV.  Very lucky person indeed.  

Mexico has to deal with the cars and trucks that roam the roads with no  brake lights, no working headlights, faulty brakes, etc. It is a rare day that I do not see a dozen or more vehicles with no brake lights, for instance. There is simply no excuse for that situation. 

Archived