Chapala.com Webboard

4 Ambulances just headed west

ned small

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TOB post saying there is a bad accident in the Walmart parking lot after a truck came down the hill and wiped out a couple other vehicles.

Is that a pipa truck?  When somebody posted water truck, I naturally thought of the bottled water truck from the other day.  That whole intersection, with Walmart entrance/exits is a disaster, waiting to happen.  Now it has happened.

Guest bennie2

not the first time. there was a crash about 10 years ago, several people died (expats) right on that intersection. not safe around there, especially for pedestrians. walmart was the worst thing to happen. even worse than that, was adding that big highway. 2 mexicans were killed a few years ago: one walking across from telmex. the other on a bike passing the small floresta strip mall. one manicurist one gardener. (xmas & easter week).

I saw the pipa truck coming down hill - lost his brakes and kept speeding up. A minute later I was on the libramento making a right and a large van was on it's side crushed against the Walmart side of the cement blockade. I couldn't see the pipa truck because it obviously jumped over the cement median and into the Walmart parking lot. People were in the intersection trying to get people out of the van but I moved on so as to not block traffic. Bomberos were coming in from the West through Ajijic with their sirens on.

A large truck coming down the libramiento went off into the bushes on the right just before the carretera last week.

I was at the scene of this accident for about 45 minutes, from right after it occurred.  Worst accident I've ever seen.  There were damaged and mangled vehicles in various places and vehicle pieces and parts strewn across the intersection.  As best I could tell amidst all the chaos, there were at least 4 or 5 vehicles involved, including a van flipped on its side off the road above the Walmart parking lot, a crushed car also on the wide shoulder just west of the van, and the tanker and another crushed car which ended up actually down in the Walmart lot.  Many other cars there so it was hard to tell how many were actually part of the original event.  There was a person laying in the middle of the intersection, and others still in each crushed car.  After some minutes, the emergency vehicles began arriving -- police, ambulances, bomberos, etc.  In one of the photos above, it shows where the tanker truck and the one crushed car were latched together.  No sight of the truck driver.  Don't know if he might have been off to the side injured somewhere.  There was a woman in that crushed small white car.  After what seemed like a long time, they got her out and onto a stretcher and then got her into one of the ambulances.  I think many of the injured were being tended to on the pavement, or even still in their vehicles, before they were taken away eventually in ambulances.  It was upsetting and sad.  I am still thinking about it all and praying for all the victims and for all the many emergency personnel who were there on site.

OMG!  I had just come from a longish visit to Dra. Berenice with my dog and was cutting thru the Centro Laguna shpg cntr on my walk back home when I heard the crashes and then proceeded over to the intersection!  She is such a lovely young woman with a great vet practice.  There were so many vehicles involved and so many injured that I never noticed her in the chaos.  I will keep praying for her and all the others.

4 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Amazing how many trucks lose their brakes here!

On I-70 in Colorado, there were several emergency turn-off lanes for trucks with overheated breaks to slow down and plow into sand barrels. Happened all too often, especially in wet or icy weather when flat-lander truckers didn't understand about very long downhill grades. Going eastbound into Denver I never drove in the slow lane. Truck brakes are tricky things.

There was an article on the front page of last week's Guad Reporter, talking about another "close call with tragedy" recently where a truck's brakes failed on the same downhill approach.  Also talked about considerations of installing an escape ramp.  Maybe, after this horrible multi-vehicle disaster, an escape ramp WILL be installed.  I sure hope so.

The problem isn't the road, the problem is the far too often overloaded and under maintained junk trucks that are allowed to operate on the roads.  Did you know they've been caught frequently with up to twice the legal weight?  Did you know the drivers rarely are trained or qualified to drive them?  Are you aware of just how bad the safety record of Mexican trucks is?

Why do you think practically every road in this country with heavy truck traffic is disintegrating?  Aside from the usual poor construction, few roads can take the kind of overloads these trucks are allowed to get away with.  Put this together with lousy maintenance and it is no wonder we are having so many accidents just at this one intersection due to trucks with failed brakes.

Remember that nearly new toll road between Durango and Mazatlan that was touted by the government as being state of the art and a wonderful piece of construction?  I rode it three weeks ago out of Durago.  It is literally falling apart in only two years.  Huge potholes everywhere.  Coincidentally it is loaded with trucks and of course there are no truck scales.  

It was so bad I got off early and used the free road.  Between the trucks and the potholes the thing was a nightmare to drive.

How about those double trailers?  Are you aware that they are "home made" cobbled together in shops because no manufacturer makes them here?  Care to guess how many have really adequate, properly working brakes?   Did you know that 116 traffic deaths per month are attributed just to these alone?

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/double-semi-concerns-taken-up-by-congress/

Give these trucks and their drivers a lot of room when you're on the road.  They are death on wheels and just one more example of how failed the government is in this country.  There's a good reason why the U.S. doesn't want these trucks operating on their roads and we see it in front of Walmart repeatedly.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-09-27/regulator-said-to-look-other-way-on-unsafe-mexican-trucks

Archived