Chapala.com Webboard

Laredo Crossings

RickS

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎10 at 5:25 PM, RVGRINGO said:

If you live in fear......you have been reading too much into sensationalist blogs.

I also suggest crossing at Pharr.

Go for it and enjoy the trip.

thank you rv gringo  we are doing it this year.I would like to ask about customs and immigration  because we will need our  tip for the car--Would it be best to go over for the day trip and get that stuff out of the way??

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎09 at 8:02 PM, FritzLeona said:

I would stick to the toll roads, not the trucking roads.  I would use Laredo as it is the closest crossing to Lakeside, and is the fastest to get to with the toll roads.  I would present the TIP and tourist papers at the border....never send anything ahead...it will be lost.  Never turn over any documentation that they will not return to you without knowing why.  Consulting a Mexican Immigration lawyer is always worth the pesos, as they will tell you what to do, what not to do, and what to expect.

I found all the paper work needed for an inm and a tip for car at the border b ut now I cannt find it anywhere.I do remember photo copies of passports .pictures,licence ownership of car  Do you still have that information.I had my pc in the shop to get fixed  and now cannot find it.

39 minutes ago, KEN said:

I found all the paper work needed for an inm and a tip for car at the border b ut now I cannt find it anywhere.I do remember photo copies of passports .pictures,licence ownership of car  Do you still have that information.I had my pc in the shop to get fixed  and now cannot find it.

The requirements are here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/vehicles.html

saludos

Sonia

18 minutes ago, Sonia said:

The requirements are here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/vehicles.html

saludos

Sonia

I had read that one require meant was at least 3 photo copies of each document  example.passport-pictures -car registration .nationality-I cann remember what else;But thank you for this information

Since you have to stop at the border for your immigration document at INM, you might as well get your car Importada Temporal at Banjercito while there. Both places will be very close to each other.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎16 at 3:24 PM, Hud said:

BTW, those who have a problem with the BP agents at the Bridge asking about beer/liquor, because it is a state tax. Go ahead and say you don't have any (when you do) and let them pull you over, search, and find it. Then, you will know what they can actually do , or not do. Call that bluff ! :D

Is there a limit of liquor that you can bring with you over the Mexican border from texas.--I have not seen anything about it

Has anyone heard of a new map reading test, in Spanish, to be given to pinche gringos who fail to follow ths signs posted to lead them to the places they need to visit?  Those who ask for a “TIP“ will, of course, be met with the universal shrug and a roll of the eyes, as it is a term invented & only found on these threads.  :o

Ken, When I arrived in Laredo a couple months ago, I had no copies of anything, but I did have all the proper documents. First I got my visitor visa. Thgen sent to next window for all copies to be prepped for me. All copies made which were needed for TIP finished. Sent to next window with all proper copies. Tip done there. So three windows total. Didn't need copies beforehand which I was sweating.

"Someone has been pulling legs here."

Rather than someone pulling legs, it must depend on what day or week one passes through. There is too much first-hand info that says something is going on to pass it off as that. My understanding is that Bridge I is closed... at least from Mexico to the US and that this might also put some extra burden on Bridge II traffic. I wouldn't want to drive through there around the Holidays. 

HookEmHorns, from past experience I know better than to Post something that is contrary to your Posts, even if I'm just trying to clarify something.

I started this Post because I had one confirmed first-hand report that said there was some construction at the Laredo Bridges that might cause some concern. The first two Posts after my inquiry here gave first-hand confirmation that there was considerable construction. Another confirmed that Bridge I was closed for construction. I am trying to report back to a lady who is timid about the crossing and is wondering if she should be concerned about Laredo.

I realize that others have passed through 'seeing no construction' at all.... thus my comment that it might depend on what week one came/comes through.

So, yes, I am trying to 'listen to those who actually do these crossings', including yourself.

But yes, I do usually just try to ignore what you say..... and the way you say it.

• 2 weeks later...

thank you

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎13 at 11:21 AM, Ezzie said:

I used to cross at Pharr and take Hwy. 97 down to 101 via Ciudad Victoria.  Due to a brush with "banditos" on Hwy. 97 last fall I have gone back to my preferred alternate - the Columbia crossing.  Last week on a trip up to Houston I tried the newer crossing on the west side of McAllen - Anzalduas - and really liked it due to it's proximity to the 40D and the Reynosa Libramiento..... BUT.... the high cost of the tolls to get from there over to Saltillo (for access to either 57 or 54) is very painful when pulling a single axle trailer.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎10 at 5:25 PM, RVGRINGO said:

If you live in fear......you have been reading too much into sensationalist blogs.

I also suggest crossing at Pharr.

Go for it and enjoy the trip.

I got to tell you --We crossed at Farr just a few days ago and it was great We missed the Reymosa bypass but it was no problem.It is a great drive .Some things that caught me by surprise was Speed Bumps--They are every where when you enter a small town and the speed goes down to 40 ks definetly look for these monsters. I sure you will find Mexico the worlds SPEED BUMP CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.  We are lake side San Juan Casalls and between here and Chapala (( klos) away at least 50 speed bumps so beware.Also I never knew it it such a mountainous country---It really is....Another experience --Iwas passing a truck and did not notice a speed limit sight saying 40 klos and drove by a police officer --Sure enough he turned on his lights and pulled us over I thought the worse but He looked at the drivers licence pointed at speed odermeter and said in Spanish slow down.and said have a safe trip.

And I was actually still doing 80 in a 40 .Even in Canada a definetly a big fine.

We crossed at PHARR and it was great  very few trucks and the roads have 1 and a half lanes easy passing We have being here just over a week now and quite nice --I was surprised by how MOUNTAINOUS Mexico is  and I must say Mexico must be the SPEED bump capital of the world.

Can't figure out how one could miss the Reynosa bypass as all one has to do is to just drive straight ahead after leaving the bridge area.  One other person I know exited at Mexico 2 and ended up in Reynosa, how they managed this I'll never know.

Just go straight, following signs to San Fernando.  You pass the big Maquiladora area on the left as you go straight south.

You are stuck driving through Reynosa if you use the port of entry there but I'd avoid this.  The town is full of crooked cops.

• 2 months later...
On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎11 at 8:43 AM, KEN said:

YES COULD YOU SEND ME THAT INFORMATION  to kbigbeaver@hotmail.com

We were on that by pass 2 weeks ago but on tour bus so not sure where you would turn off to go to potsi.The same highway going west is no where near finished.Only going east.toward SAN LUIS POTSI.tHE BUS WENT THROUGH NOT TURNING UNTILL WE MUST HAVE BEING WELL PAST TURN OFF  FOR POTSI.

They are building the last part of a westside loop around San Luis Potosi.  Although it is also a cuota it is much more direct than the current south and east bypass.  Until that opens the only option is to go straight through Pososi, which we usually do, or take the south and east bypass.

You can easily see the new construction using Google Earth.  Just follow the existing cuota from Lagos straight north to where the work starts.

I'm surprised there appears still no indication that the very poor ring road around Lagos de Moreno will be improved.  Maybe they are planning some sort of toll connector or bypass.  As this is all part of the major road improvements north from the port of Manzanillo I'd expect to see it happen at some point.

We came thru last October.  Nice to bypass the town and get right on the highway to matehuala.  It may have taken 20-30 minutes off the trip and you don't have to drive on the goat path into San Luis Potosí.

Ken, we live near Mcallen and use the Anzalduas crossing.  It's in Mission, its new and theres never a lot of people getting their paperwork.  However, for us, the biggest adavantage is you totally bypass Reynosa.  When they built the crossing, they made  a ring road so you come out on the south side of Reynosa and hit the highway.

Archived