Chapala.com Webboard

Volunteer opportunities

I have a young friend who would like to visit me during her Christmas holiday and do volunteer work. She needs 60 hours to graduate high school. She is extremely mature, outgoing and dependable. I thought I had two local non-profits lined up, everything was approved with her HS coordinator, but now the local coordinators are not responding to requests to meet and set up work schedules, which we need to do before she books her flights.

So I am starting my search over again. She would like to do hands on work with members of the Mexican community, and I would assist her. Can anyone direct me to organizations that are dependable and could use a great volunteer?

Contact Evelia Lara Sierra, Administration at DIF San Antonio. She had two classes in English coming up and may need a teacher. There may be other activities as well. Evelia speaks English. cel 045 33- 14- 23-16-54. If you stop into DIF Ajijic, the contact there is Monica. Sorry, I don't have her phone. Monica does not speak as much English.

You could call LCS, the Lake Chapala Society, at 766-1140.  Office hours Monday-Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  They have the Children's Art Program, and possibly a Children's Reading Program as well, which utilize volunteers.  The LCS November newsletter also states a need for volunteer gardeners, volunteers at and prior to the Seniors' High Tea, a Talking Books Program volunteer, etc.  I'll bet LCS would be happy to have an energetic, smart young volunteer, even temporarily.

On 10/8/2016 at 10:09 PM, Carolina said:

You could call LCS, the Lake Chapala Society, at 766-1140.  Office hours Monday-Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  They have the Children's Art Program, and possibly a Children's Reading Program as well, which utilize volunteers.  The LCS November newsletter also states a need for volunteer gardeners, volunteers at and prior to the Seniors' High Tea, a Talking Books Program volunteer, etc.  I'll bet LCS would be happy to have an energetic, smart young volunteer, even temporarily.

yes! Working at LCS would not quite be what the person is looking for. Isn't she looking to help the local,viz,Mexian, community?

8 hours ago, Alfa said:

yes! Working at LCS would not quite be what the person is looking for. Isn't she looking to help the local,viz,Mexian, community?

You must be fairly new here to not know that many of  the programs of LCS are outreach programs to both youth and adults of the local community. It is a fine suggestion to consider, in addition to the others.

8 hours ago, Alfa said:

The childrens arts program at LCS is a program that is used by the local mexicans. It is also sponsored by the ASA.  Everybody agrees this program is a winner. The artist who did the mural going into Chapala on the left and on the south side of the police building in Ajijic volunteers and I believe was an early student of the program.  Also LCS has the Wilkes center which supplies programs for the local Mexicans.  LCS is for all local people.

Archived