Chapala.com Webboard

Importing a firearm

thesarge7

Has anyone imported a firearm from NOB? AS you know, firearm prices here in Mexico are outrageous. I am curious if it is worth the process of importing a new firearm, not a collectible or antique. I believe it starts off with a permit to import (S.E.D.E.N.A. 02-053) for about $4,300 pesos. Is there any documents or permits associated with Aduana? I am sure that there are taxes and import fees as well. And what about ATF? And how is the firearm transported? Is it best to have it shipped? And would you use a custom agent?

Thank you for your input.

As for ATF, I did find the following info on Mexicoarmado.com;  The GCA does not require export licenses. However, most firearms and ammunition must be exported in accordance with the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act of 1976. Regulations implementing this Act generally require a license to be obtained from the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, Department of State, PM/DDTC, SA-1, Room 1200, 2401 E St., N.W., Washington, DC 20037; (202) 663-1282. 
The export of sporting shotguns and ammunition for sporting shotguns is regulated by the U.S. Department of Commerce rather than the State Department. An export license is generally needed to export these shotguns and ammunition. For further information, contact them at their nearest district office or the Bureau of Industry and Security, Outreach and Educational Services Division, U.S. Department of Commerce, 14th St. & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Washington, DC 20230, (202) 482-4811.
When exporting NFA firearms, ATF Form 9 must be completed and approved by ATF prior to export.  [22 U.S.C. 2778, 27 CFR 479.114 and 479.116]

There are 2 steps, the exportation from the US and the importation into Mexico.  I am currently looking into this as I have some fine Italian shotguns sitting in a safe in the US I would rather have here to go skeet shooting.  We are also looking into procedures to register guns but they have made some changes recently. 

Thank you Spencer. I figured you would know HOW to do it, and I look forward to reading your answer when you get all the info. 

Last time I registered a locally purchased firearm, the process was fairly simple. Hopefully it has not gotten more complicated. 

Archived