Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Purchasing Firearms from Mexico military outpost


thesarge7
 Share

Recommended Posts

Please, I do not want to debate firearm issues. Feel free to open up your own post if you would like to offer your anti-gun opinion, I am asking for information, thank you!!

1. Has anyone had any experience purchasing a firearm from the D.F. military outpost? If you have priced firearms here in Mexico, you know how outrageous they can be. I am curious if it is worth going through the process of going to the D.F. to buy anything. Their inventory lists a Glock model 28 for $630 USD. This is about 50% cheaper than what is sold elsewhere in Mexico. i.e. Mexicoarmado. If you have gone through the process, how was your experience?

 

Thank you for your input.

FYI, I have attached the current inventory at the D.F. military outpost.

 

Inventory shortarms Oct2016.jpg

Edited by thesarge7
Part 2 question posted on different page.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, thesarge7 said:

Please, I do not want to debate firearm issues. Feel free to open up your own post if you would like to offer your anti-gun opinion, I am asking for information, thank you!!

1. Has anyone had any experience purchasing a firearm from the D.F. military outpost? If you have priced firearms here in Mexico, you know how outrageous they can be. I am curious if it is worth going through the process of going to the D.F. to buy anything. Their inventory lists a Glock model 28 for $630 USD. This is about 50% cheaper than what is sold elsewhere in Mexico. i.e. Mexicoarmado. If you have gone through the process, how was your experience?

 

Thank you for your input.

FYI, I have attached the current inventory at the D.F. military outpost.

 

Inventory shortarms Oct2016.jpg

Not sure if you have much of a choice than to go through the D.F. gun store.  Given the restrictive law, are private sales (private citizen to private citizen) gun purchases even legal in Mexico?  Registration with the military is the only legal route.  This topic has been discussed here before.  Spencer understands the law regarding firearms.  Hopefully he'll chime in and be able to answer your questions..........

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, it is now an "outpost."  it's the Army base in CDMX.  The prices are great because they're not in business to make a profit.  Any gun can and should be registered with with the Army at their base just north of Guadalajara.  It's an easy process and they don't care where or how you got the firearm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, El Saltos said:

First, it is now an "outpost."  it's the Army base in CDMX.  The prices are great because they're not in business to make a profit.  Any gun can and should be registered with with the Army at their base just north of Guadalajara.  It's an easy process and they don't care where or how you got the firearm.

Thank you for this clarification El Saltos.  Do you know of a legal way to import a favorite family heirloom that would fall within the acceptable legal prerequisites for caliber, etc. that one could then take in to be registered?  So I'm to understand that if somehow my own firearm were to find it's way into Mexico, I could then legalize it with the military?

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This from Wikipedia:

WARNING: Do not attempt to take any firearm into Mexico even if the weapon is lawfully registered in your name in the United States (or any other country of residence) and even when the weapon falls under the types and calibers permitted for civilian ownership in Mexico. Unless the bearer has explicit authorization from the Secretariat of National Defense, it is illegal and punishable by law to enter Mexican territory with any firearm as well as to keep and carry any firearm on your person or vehicle at any time, anywhere. These permits cannot be obtained at Mexican customs and immigration when entering Mexico. They must be obtained in advance and in possession of the bearer before any gun enters Mexico. Once entering Mexico with a gun without previous authorization from the Mexican government, a crime has been committed.

Also check out an old Rolly rook post here:http://rollybrook.com/guns.htm

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Automatic 7 years in jail, is my understanding.  Also goes for ammo.  I had a friend that allowed someone to put a single dresser in with her furniture that was crossing the border.  When being searched at the border, authorities found two rounds of ammo in the other person's dresser (owner of dresser didn't even know the ammo was there) and of course my friend was threatened with jail.  Her broker, who was in trouble too, managed to get the authorities to agree to a large fine rather than jail time.  No good deed goes unpunished, it seems.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Be very careful.  Bringing a fire-arm into Mexico is a straight-to-jail violation.

 

1 hour ago, El Saltos said:

I know nothing about import procedures.  You will note above that Intercasa is working on that.  Contact him.  However, should your special item suddenly find itself in Mexico you can (and should) register it and make it legal.

Yes RV, I'm very much aware of this.

Interesting though, that once here, it could be registered with no problems.............

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NoVaDamer said:

This from Wikipedia:

WARNING: Do not attempt to take any firearm into Mexico even if the weapon is lawfully registered in your name in the United States (or any other country of residence) and even when the weapon falls under the types and calibers permitted for civilian ownership in Mexico. Unless the bearer has explicit authorization from the Secretariat of National Defense, it is illegal and punishable by law to enter Mexican territory with any firearm as well as to keep and carry any firearm on your person or vehicle at any time, anywhere. These permits cannot be obtained at Mexican customs and immigration when entering Mexico. They must be obtained in advance and in possession of the bearer before any gun enters Mexico. Once entering Mexico with a gun without previous authorization from the Mexican government, a crime has been committed.

Also check out an old Rolly rook post here:http://rollybrook.com/guns.htm

Very good information, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Automatic 7 years in jail, is my understanding.  Also goes for ammo.  I had a friend that allowed someone to put a single dresser in with her furniture that was crossing the border.  When being searched at the border, authorities found two rounds of ammo in the other person's dresser (owner of dresser didn't even know the ammo was there) and of course my friend was threatened with jail.  Her broker, who was in trouble too, managed to get the authorities to agree to a large fine rather than jail time.  No good deed goes unpunished, it seems.

I've heard of similar nightmare stories including that of an old timer that lived on the Arizona border that would cross to buy medication in Mexico.  He was an avid hunter/shooter so before crossing he would routinely scour his pickup for missed rounds.  Then one day he missed a .22 round wedged between windshield and dashboard.  It was noticed by an observant border official and he was arrested.  He spent years in prison and his wife spent their life's savings trying to get him released by sending funds to his Mexican "attorney" who would always tell her "just a little more money and we should be able to get him out".

Definitely not worth the risk breaking Mexican law!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Copying from Rolly's information, the below information would indicate two trips have to be made to the army base to register a gun.

1. The trip to pick up an application to fill out.

2. The trip back with the filled out application and the gun.

Question: Any way possible to get ahold of the application paperwork without having to drive to NW Guadalajara to the army base just to get the application paperwork?

Thank you,

Notes from Rolly's column:

Registering a gun

You must fill out an application which you can get at any army base.   In addition to the completed application, you will need your immigration document (or voter ID card if you are a citizen) and passport with copies, your CURP and proof of address.  When you have all of this, you may then transport the weapon to the Army base for registration.

The registration application is your permit to transport the gun to the base.  The gun must be in a box or wrapped so that it is not visible.  The approved application will serve as your carry permit on the way home.  Thereafter, you must not take the gun out of the house without a special carry permit.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can find the permit on line. I went to the papelrera there by Sorannas just before the base. They downloaded the form and filled it our for me. 25 pesos I think. On the base there is a bank where you pay the fee. IN my days 39 pesos. Ouch!   I took my smuggled 38 S&W in just a manila folder which I held closed right to the area where you wait your turn. The soldier just wrote down my serial number disappeared for 20 minutes or so. Used an old type writer finished the form. Waala. Done. I purchase my amo in Jocotepec or Guadalajara.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks vetteforron.

So if I read this right, you took the empty gun with you to an area near the army base.

You packaged the gun securely so it was out of sight, and out of danger of falling out of its envelope or box perhaps/

A papeleria near Souriana's downloaded this form?  http://www.gob.mx/sedena/acciones-y-programas/sedena-02-059  

Does the above look like the form you turned in?

They helped you to fill it out.

You supplied immigration status card (residente permanente), passport, CURP, proof of domicilio (Telmex/CFE receipts).

They at the army base instructed you how to go pay right there closeby the  HOJA DE AYUDA PARA EL PAGO EN VENTANILLA BANCARIA, now around 85 pesos.

Here is that e5cinco form used to pay (I hope):  http://www.gob.mx/sedena/acciones-y-programas/sedena-02-062

The army personnel took the gun, processed the application, stamped it, gave back your gun, and now your gun was legal to bring back to and keep in your home.

I guess I am wanting to know if sedena-02-059 is the application form to use.

I will risk driving up there with the gun empty (in an envelope) and with my own application form filled out.

Can you advise if that sedena -02-059 looks like the form to use? That will save me from making two trips.

Thanks if you can steer me in the right direction to go ahead and proceed or if I am off course and need something more or different.
 
 
 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, southland said:

Thanks vetteforron.

So if I read this right, you took the empty gun with you to an area near the army base.

You packaged the gun securely so it was out of sight, and out of danger of falling out of its envelope or box perhaps/

A papeleria near Souriana's downloaded this form?  http://www.gob.mx/sedena/acciones-y-programas/sedena-02-059  

Does the above look like the form you turned in?

They helped you to fill it out.

You supplied immigration status card (residente permanente), passport, CURP, proof of domicilio (Telmex/CFE receipts).

They at the army base instructed you how to go pay right there closeby the  HOJA DE AYUDA PARA EL PAGO EN VENTANILLA BANCARIA, now around 85 pesos.

Here is that e5cinco form used to pay (I hope):  http://www.gob.mx/sedena/acciones-y-programas/sedena-02-062

The army personnel took the gun, processed the application, stamped it, gave back your gun, and now your gun was legal to bring back to and keep in your home.

I guess I am wanting to know if sedena-02-059 is the application form to use.

I will risk driving up there with the gun empty (in an envelope) and with my own application form filled out.

Can you advise if that sedena -02-059 looks like the form to use? That will save me from making two trips.

Thanks if you can steer me in the right direction to go ahead and proceed or if I am off course and need something more or different.
 
 
 
 

I can't remember the exact form. I only held it for a few minutes. At the papelera I used my passport for the information. So take your passport and all above.  The wait was an hour or so. I felt safe with all the guns with people there. Army personal was helpful and nice.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry I took so long to respond. 

There is some misinformation being posted.

First; You can purchase a firearm from a private party. I have done it and it is legal. There is no requirement to purchase from the military. There is a registration process and it is not complicated, as posted by "vette".

 There is a very active and prominent web site where you can buy or sell firearms in Mexico. All of these are private parties. www.Mexicoarmado.com. Here, you can find all the information you need regarding buying, transporting, registering, etc... They have a link for all the forms and laws. 

I realize that the prices are cheaper in D.F., but I am asking if anyone has actually gone there to make a purchase. 

Second; You can legally import firearms into Mexico. I posted a question on the customs and immigration section of this forum. I asked if anyone has legally imported a firearm. I am curious about the experience. I know the procedure, so I was not asking how to do it. Again, information about IMPORTING firearms into Mexico can be found on Mexicoarmado as well as the government's web site at www.gob.mx .

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pedro, thanks for posting.  

I think you have seen my other post regarding importing firearms. So you know what I was asking regarding importing.  Yes, IF a firearm is "smuggled" in, then there is no problem getting it registered. But, for me, it is not worth the risk. The permit fee runs just over $4,000 pesos. But then you have other aduana issues and ATF on the U.S. side. So, it could get complicated. It appears that none of our readers have legally imported firearms, so I am waiting to hear back from Spencer.

 I did not have any questions for Spencer about buying from the military. I am familiar with the process. I just wanted to know if someone has gone there.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2016 at 7:45 AM, thesarge7 said:

Pedro, thanks for posting.  

I think you have seen my other post regarding importing firearms. So you know what I was asking regarding importing.  Yes, IF a firearm is "smuggled" in, then there is no problem getting it registered. But, for me, it is not worth the risk. The permit fee runs just over $4,000 pesos. But then you have other aduana issues and ATF on the U.S. side. So, it could get complicated. It appears that none of our readers have legally imported firearms, so I am waiting to hear back from Spencer.

 I did not have any questions for Spencer about buying from the military. I am familiar with the process. I just wanted to know if someone has gone there.

 

 

Thank you for clarifying the facts and for bringing up this topic again.  These have been the most informative posts on this subject so far.  I bookmarked the Mexicoarmado website, no idea this existed in Mexico.

I'm an avid collector of rare firearms, most of which would never be allowed in Mexico and will eventually have to liquidated.  I do have a couple pieces that I'd love to hang on to and if possible, import to Mexico.  One is an old S&W Target Master in .38 special with the 6" barrel and target hammer and trigger from the mid-50's.  It was my uncle's pistol and the very first pistol I shot as a kid so it has considerable sentimental value.  Will play it by ear I guess.

The military gun store came up the last time this subject was raised but I don't remember anyone commenting on having bought there.  Remember Spencer was looking into the law on importing personal firearms from the US.  Are you saying it can be done with a Mexican permit costing $4000 pesos?  I can understand that coordinating with Aduanas could be an issue but why would ATF be involved?  Why would they even have to know if you took your favorite piece with you and crossed into Mexico?  As long as you satisfy Mexican law, what do they care if a gun leaves the US?

Again, thanks for starting this topic anew and for the additional info provided by you and vetteforron!  Hope someone will eventually buy and share their experience from the military gun store.  In the meantime, any posts regarding this topic will always be welcomed by myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My house came with a Colt Peacemaker (famous gun of the west) and some kind of civil war gun with both Union and CSA markings.  I worried about the legality of these so I took apart the display and found both guns barrels and bullets are filled with Lead to my surprise and quite useless as guns and bullets anymore.  I assume this makes them display legal as long as they stay in the house.  Am I correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...