Chapala.com Webboard

Help with suggestions on how to sell 25 yr old plus Vocho

Fred Habacht

I was asked by a Mexican, who is a US passport holder on the best way to sell his collection of old Vocho Beetles. US customs says he can tow them to Ca...one at a time and dispose of them legally but he doesn't know where the best outlets might be. These cars can be US plated.

Fred Habacht

2 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

My wife, born in Mexico, became a US citizen:  "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;". She prefers to be known as a US Citizen, and enters Mexico as a US Citizen. Why would one become a US Citizen (naturalized) if one was not proud of that fact?

Maybe you are a terrorist and you are part of a plot to cause violence, like 9-11?

On 10/6/2016 at 6:33 PM, barbara habacht said:

I was asked by a Mexican, who is a US passport holder on the best way to sell his collection of old Vocho Beetles. US customs says he can tow them to Ca...one at a time and dispose of them legally but he doesn't know where the best outlets might be. These cars can be US plated.

Fred Habacht

Since further sales of even US versions of Volcho VW beetles were banned in the USA due to horribly-deficient safety features,  how can old Mexican Volchos be made EPA or DOT compliant to be allowed into the USA ?

It's pretty universal that it's too expensive to upgrade even high quality Mexican-sold cars to meet US DOT (safety) and US EPA standards for US import,  so, it's difficult to imagine how one could legally import old Volchos into the USA ?

What am I missing?

45 minutes ago, snowyco said:

What am I missing?

Umm - reality? Cars imported to the U.S.A. 25 years and older do not have to meet emissions, do not have to have annual smog testing (where applicable, not in Jalisco at least with vintage plates), they don't have to have seatbelts. They don't even require the steering wheel on the left hand side. A lot of very interesting, super low mileage, vehicles entering the U.S. from Japan and Europe right now. Saying that, I agree with Sparks, that Mexicans do have a love for these old VWs, sort of like affordable car collecting. They have "Beetle" car clubs in Guadalajara and other cities, I doubt you would find a significant "Beetle" club in the U.S.A. - if you do find one - let them know of your collection.

On 10/8/2016 at 9:58 AM, CHILLIN said:

Umm - reality? Cars imported to the U.S.A. 25 years and older do not have to meet emissions, do not have to have annual smog testing (where applicable, not in Jalisco at least with vintage plates), they don't have to have seatbelts. They don't even require the steering wheel on the left hand side. A lot of very interesting, super low mileage, vehicles entering the U.S. from Japan and Europe right now. Saying that, I agree with Sparks, that Mexicans do have a love for these old VWs, sort of like affordable car collecting. They have "Beetle" car clubs in Guadalajara and other cities, I doubt you would find a significant "Beetle" club in the U.S.A. - if you do find one - let them know of your collection.

" Cars imported to the U.S.A. 25 years and older do not have to meet emissions, do not have to have annual smog testing "
This is simply not true, especially for the OP's stated purpose.**

What do Mexican requirements for using vintage Mexican-sold vehicles inside Mexico,  have to do with importing them into the USA?
".not in Jalisco at least with vintage plates"

"not in Jalisco at least with vintage plates"

"They have "Beetle" car clubs in Guadalajara and other cities, I doubt you would find a significant "Beetle" club in the U.S.A."

Are you agreeing that it does not seem to make sense to take a model of car (Volcho) into the USA,  because there is little demand?

======================================
** US laws do have a loopholes in EPA pollution & DOT safety rules , but  only  for PERSONAL USE of 21&25 yr old or older cars, allowing personal use 'antique' vehicles to enter without passing DOT or EPA standards,  

Note that the US laws  do state that to meet the  'personal use'  requirements,  they include the requirement that there must be   " no intent to sell the vehicle "

** "Importing classic or antique vehicles/cars for  personal use".  
=====================================

So,  I'm left with the question about how to practically import   multiple   unsafe, DOT & EPA non-complying  Mexican vehicles into the USA  ... for sale in the USA ... as the US CBP would likely note that the Mexican in question is importing more than one, and is selling them ?

What am I non understanding?

Its kind of dishonest to link to a site, where on that very same site it clearly states this is possible and explains exactly how to do it. Fred's friend was given proper advice. If you have owned the vehicle less than one year, there is a 2% duty. If my Uncle Pepe in Mexico leaves me his cherry 1964 ford falcon convertible, are you suggesting I could not import it to the U.S.A. unless I put in a new low emission engine, air bags, etc.? The emission requirements would have to meet the range for 1964 - so most jurisdictions see it as a waste of time (and resources). It all makes sense to you as a 1964 classic car, but now, as all our years  have slipped away, this includes 1991 and older. They are now classics, just like me:lol:

As far as selling, I will ask a friend, who has over 25 years experience selling vehicles in Texas, and he loves his low km vintage volcho here.

Yes, sell them here.  The guy with duel citizenship has the idea they're worth a fortune in the USA. Not worth a fortune but mine which I drove to California sold in two hours for 1000 bucks from a newspaper ad.  Nobody seemed to care it was made in Mexico or that it had Mexican plates.  They are the old style, before the super beetle.  Better market. 

I'd say, from reading segundomano.com for quite a while, the average price for one in average condition is 20-30k.  His problems will be .. Mexican buyers are tuff costumers ...... Cual es lo menos?  The other will be the hour drive the buyer would have to make.

If he had one which still had suspension an not too beat up, and if it were here in front of my house tomorrow morning, I'd buy it.

On 10/8/2016 at 10:13 AM, snowyco said:

Since further sales of even US versions of Volcho VW beetles were banned in the USA due to horribly-deficient safety features,  how can old Mexican Volchos be made EPA or DOT compliant to be allowed into the USA ?

It's pretty universal that it's too expensive to upgrade even high quality Mexican-sold cars to meet US DOT (safety) and US EPA standards for US import,  so, it's difficult to imagine how one could legally import old Volchos into the USA ?

What am I missing?

Just a note. Sales of air cooled VW's (all models) ended for 2 reasons. Cost of emissions equipment and more importantly declining sales. They were not "banned".  

Still haven't asked my friend - but it occurs to me the market is high school and college students looking for a "cool, funky, affordable" car. At that age, they overlook safety concerns, and parental objections, because they just know they are going to live forever. In my opinion what destroyed the Beetle in the U.S.A. was when Disney launched its "Herbie, the Love Bug" franchise. All of a sudden, these were not cool funky cars anymore, not in the U.S. anyways. The youth of America today don't know of the Love Bug - and I doubt if any of them have the patience to sit through any of the Love Bug movies. The vans became popular, but they were notoriously under powered, and prone to mechanical problems.

In Mexico however, the Volcho was a source of national pride, and nostalgia. As in we don't need the Japanese, U.S.A. and Europe telling us which car we should buy - we are quite capable of looking after ourselves, but thank you for your interest. Mexicans watching the Love Bug movies would be amazed that the world was (seemingly) crazy over this Mexican made vehicle.

On 10/10/2016 at 3:06 PM, CHILLIN said:

Its kind of dishonest to link to a site, where on that very same site it clearly states this is possible and explains exactly how to do it.

Fred's friend was given proper advice. If you have owned the vehicle less than one year, there is a 2% duty. If my Uncle Pepe in Mexico leaves me his cherry 1964 ford falcon convertible, are you suggesting I could not import it to the U.S.A. unless I put in a new low emission engine, air bags, etc.? The emission requirements would have to meet the range for 1964 - so most jurisdictions see it as a waste of time (and resources). It all makes sense to you as a 1964 classic car, but now, as all our years  have slipped away, this includes 1991 and older. They are now classics, just like me:lol:

As far as selling, I will ask a friend, who has over 25 years experience selling vehicles in Texas, and he loves his low km vintage volcho here.

"Its kind of dishonest to link to a site, where on that very same site it clearly states this is possible and explains exactly how to do it. "

Chillin, Why do you make false accusations?
There's nothing dishonest about noting that the DOT & EPA exemptions for importing vintage vehicles,  because (as I wrote above) the US government website also noted that the exemption is      '... for personal use only ...'

Before people changed the subject to their own personal ideas about single one*time personal imports  and old Disney movies,
the main purpose of the thread was to:

"...  sell his  collection  of old Vocho Beetles ..."

Since the US govt/ website mentions   '... for personal use only ...'    it seems that importing & selling   a group   of non-DOT & non-EPA vehicles might be recognized by CBP   as not qualifying as   '... for personal use only ...'   ?

Hopefully there is some sort of work-around,    as we would not want to   tell Fred's friend   to do something that gets him into trouble with CBP ??

Archived