Chapala.com Webboard

Tabarka - fish restaurant.

ComputerGuy

An interesting experience last Saturday night. They could do with putting down some gravel in their parking area... the whole thing was a sea of mud. Tire-grabbing mud.

Order two dishes and an appetizer. The appetizer was a warm shrimp salad, which was delicious and plentiful. Companion felt the shrimp were undercooked, and due to several nasty experiences with food poisoning in past years from shrimp, was not pleased... but liked the salad overall. Companion's fish was something I never heard of... Dixon or something like that. A pleasant white fish, cooked in a honey dressing, with a choice of two sides. We both asked for grilled red peppers and salad. The salad was on the same plate as the meal, and it was fresh, but very uninspiring (odd, considering they grow many of their own greens and herbs). Both fish dishes were cooked superbly.

My choice was swordfish. Very, very good, and the honey dressing was perfect for it... it sunk into the fish, unlike the dixon, which didn't absorb the flavour. I did not like the grilled peppers, which were ice cold and right out of a can (I've bought them many times myself). That freezing side dish came close to ruining the hot meal. (You get a choice of two sides, and that's what we chose, but it certainly did not say "cold out of a can" on the menu.)

Prices were reasonable, and portions were probably average, but each slice of fish to me was smallish. Service was polite, but it took forever to get our meals. Almost all the other patrons were eating already when we arrived, so it wasn't a question of too many orders ahead of us. Prices were reasonable, with the shrimp salad at 85p, which is good considering there was a whack of decent shrimp in the bowl. I think the dinners were 145p each.

As I mentioned in another thread, there was a dog present, and that just kills it for me for another trip to Tabarka.

ComputerGuy,

Last Saturday we had torrential rains and the arroyo on Rio Bravo was blocked with debris....mostly trash that had been dumped down the arroyo.  This caused great flooding down Rio Zula, the street Tabarka is located on.  Hence the parking lot was a sea of mud, and all the Mexican homes just north of Tabarka were completely flooded.  The dogs were thee because they had nowhere to go due to the flooding.  I can tell you that Tabarka has had a road grader smoothing out the parking lot this week, and they want to resurface it, but the arroyo is still clogged with garbage.  Please read my posting regarding the trash issue we have here at Lakeside, and perhaps you can help with some solutions! Thanks!

Load of dogpoop. The dog was there with its owners having dinner. Oh, and your implication that I somehow missed the rain, or the river up by La Huerta running parallel to the township, or the sort-of float that our car did to get down to Tabarka that night... as the Trump would say: "Wrong." And my suggestion that they could put some gravel down was simply that.  I know them, and they will, if they haven't already.

Archived