Chapala.com Webboard

Christmas around Lago Chapala

marc7

Hi All, 

I'm going to spend 3 days 24-27 December alone around the lake somewhere. 

Can anyone recommend a nice town for a few relaxing days, but also somewhere that might have a bar or restaurant so i'm not completely bored?

Thanks

Marc

If you have never been here I would suggest Ajijic. Xmas Eve evening there are live manger scenes at the church starting around 6pm. The village will be very lively on those days, stores, restaurants and bars will be open. If you want to meet other gringos you should have no problem meeting people to hang out with. Lots of b&bs in the village. Book now as they will be full.

Center of which town?  If Ajijic.... you will be surrounded by gringos. All eateries will be filled with "gringos" (Include Canadians in the term). But many Christmas displays and activities on streets and churches are by locals. Christmas Day will be probably quiet (if there is such thing in Mexico). BandB is a good choice for few days as hosts are very knowledgeable about town's activities.

Any town you choose will be different than the others, of course.  The towns on the south shore tend to be much smaller, much much humbler and poorer with few decent restaurants and very little to see and do, in my opinion.  If you want to see few gringos, I would recommend Chapala.  Since Chapala is the largest town (yes, it is still a small town) on the North shore it has probably the most spectacular and extravagant Christmas time celebrations, events, and light shows in the area.  There are lots of good cafes and restaurants in this town and many have wifi.  Yes, you will run into a few gringos walking around in the morning hours if you know where to look.  But in the evenings when I'm out I see very few and they tend to be more Mexicanized.  You will love our malecon or boardwalk where it fills up with Mexican families and young people in the evenings until late at night walking, strolling around and listening to the local musicians and mariachi groups that play there every evening.  Chapala is predominately Mexican and the night bars and clubs see very few gringos.  So, in Chapala it is extremely easy to not be around gringos and to be around a purely Mexican crowd if that is what you are looking for.

3 hours ago, ned small said:

If you're talking the center of Ajijic you will not meet your criteria as you stated above. Many of us call Ajijic the gringo ghetto for a reason.

This comment strikes me as very disrespectful to the 80% of people in Ajijic who have lived there all their lives, don't speak English, and celebrate their holidays in very traditional ways. The "live nacimientos" in the church courtyard on Christmas Eve, and the mass held that evening, are very touching and are NOT put on for the gringos. But the people are lovely enough to welcome the gringos to observe the celebrations. It is very easy to integrate into the local population here if you speak Spanish and make it obvious that you want to know them. I'll admit I know many that don't, but it's their loss.

I agree. I relish the opportunities to meet locals and engage in the events that they offer so openly to everyone. Man, we went up the tepalo a couple of afternoons ago... the Mexicans bouncing up and down the trails were so polite and so happy and so very helpful. What a trip.

You will be just fine in Ajijic. Christmas Eve is the preferred night of celebration for the Mexicans. They build little fires outside their homes, eat and drink until dawn. Walk around with a bottle of tequila. 

Mexico doesn't close up on Christmas like NOB. Each year I'd spend Christmas day exploring a different direction from the lake and there was always plenty of activity no matter where I went. MX also doesn't decorate nearly as much, but you'll often see villages with interesting different themes. I always put out lights at the house, but I was about the only one in the neighborhood.

I believe that is the outside of his house with Christmas lights on it, the large door is the garage.  Nearly all the houses here in Mexico will have large walls around it where usually you can't see the immediate house from the street, just the walls.  And the walls will be colorfully painted and attractive.

5 hours ago, giltner68 said:

It's the main entrance gate and the front of the casita. The main house was further back and I did lights along the top of the back wall and railings on it also. Here's a slide show of the property, it's in Riberas.

WOW !!! Been by there many times and always wondered, So sorry I did not stop and say "howdy!". So sorry you needed to leave.

Archived