Chapala.com Webboard

Folks time to dump yahoo....really

lcscats

37 minutes ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

Says they only scanned INCOMING emails...so I don't see the threat...I mean, it's not anything I am responsible for.  And I doubt the other email servers are any different.

Its not legal. No due process. It violates the fourth amendment. Other email servers like gmail or hotmail would have never said yes. Did you fully read the article?  Google, Microsoft, Apple all said no way to the government in this circumstance.  Yahoo screwed up royally again.

Re the legality:  It's fully legal, because it is Google, Gmail, Yahoo and other private companies who are doing the scanning of our emails.

When we agree to use their programs, we voluntarily click boxes that APPROVE / ACCEPT their terms & conditions.   Because these are for-profit companies making $$billions,  they REQUIRE that we agree to allow them to scan ALL of our ingoing & outgoing email traffic.

If we don't like it,   we simply pay for services that do not scan our online-activities.

If you want your online services for free .... 'free' has a price.
The part I find creepy is when I communicate with Amazon or Ebay or mention a product in emails using Gmail,  then ads for those same products then start appearing when I go onto Facebook or other programs.

Re the latest reports of Yahoo scanning our emails - and providing information to the US government:  
Yahoo scanned our emails for just one (1) word ... a single word linked to terrorist attacks.

Is a search for one (1) word a significant violation of privacy, especially for people who have legally signed-away their privacy rights ??

Guest bennie2

they locked me out. i cannot rejoin because i dont have a mobile phone. they no longer have the live chat option. yahoo was hacked several years ago. all these services are corrupt, they are mega corporations. hotmail was bought by google & has not operated properly ever since.

I'm afraid that snowyco is right about this. Not illegal and may be in my best interest overall.

And, if we are concerned about our 'invasion of privacy', an equally good thing to get upset about is how much/many of our searches/purchases online are monitored. Ever look for something or purchase something and have that 'thing' show up as an advertisement later on about every site you visit afterwards?

Personally I'd rather have the NSA looking at emails in the name of National Security than "Amazon" watching everything that I view or buy, and then selling that info to all bidders! But like snowyco said, I "authorized" them to do so either directly or indirectly when I availed myself of their services. It's that kind of world these days.

YMMV

Unless you're using encryption (and even then there is no guarantee), no email in the world is secure or private. Nothing you do virtually is private. That's always been true from the beginning and always will be true. 

Are all of Yahoo's security problems linked to Yahoo Mail specifically or does the  problem exist more broadly with Yahoo membership?  

I subscribe to several Yahoo Groups and need a Yahoo membership for that. I do all of my emailing through other email services that are unrelated to Yahoo. The only mail that passes through my Yahoo Mail box is unsolicited so I don't really care if I even have their email service.

Do I need to completely sever any connection to Yahoo to avoid their ongoing lapses in security? Can I continue my membership in various Yahoo groups without constantly exposing myself to hackers, Big Brother, North Korea, Russian Mafia,...?  

Guest bennie2

your emails are read by a machine. key words are picked up & then you get a load of junkmail. even if you delete your cookies, it doesnt matter. every websight is picked up as well. the national security thing is bs. ISIS has online mags in many languages. this is right upfront. these sites stay up, but they look @ your yahoo? seriously? dont be fooled. you are being monitored for advertising reasons. the hacking business is for your banking info.  i wont bank on line ever. i paid bills by postal or via phone. there is no personal info on my computer.   

"... without constantly exposing myself to hackers, Big Brother, North Korea, Russian Mafia,...?  "

Re-read Sheila's Post above..... where she/he said " Nothing you do virtually is private."  Virtually is defined as "on a device connected to the Internet".

I hate to be super cynical, but the bottom line is that ANYTHING you say or negotiate on ANY of those services, including of course the FACEBOOK which so many are fond of.......might as well be on a billboard at Langley.  You have NO privacy any longer.  Get used to it. At least it was free.  If you want to share a secret, try for whispering next to a waterfall.

Ten years from now, the "cloud" will still have your information.  This could prove to be embarrassing, especially for young folks.

BTW, note that little dot at the top of your laptop.  Unless you put tape over it, you can be seen as well as heard.

Ain't technology wonderful!:rolleyes::ph34r:

8 hours ago, Semalu said:

...and if you REALLY want to lose all your privacy, go out and buy Googles new smart speakers coming on the market, that little item along side your web based in home security camera and yes, Big Brother is watching you....

The version that is either most-amusing... or most terrifying ... are the voice command controlled smart TVs w/constant online connections.

Reality right out of '1984' **
Current voice-controlled smart TVs have microphones that are 'live', all the time when the TV is plugged in  ... constantly  monitoring the sounds in the room.   This constant monitoring of sounds in our homes has 2 purposes:  1.  To recognize our voice commands  ... and   2.To transmit our living room sounds back to _______   or to the TV manufacturer, or to anyone whom TV manufacturer sells our 'data'.

**Just as predicted in '1984', now   all US homes have big monitors that tell us the latest version of 'official news' ... as 95% of the content of what we see & hear are controlled by just 5 big super-corporations - feeding us a lot of govt. approved content.  
Doubt this?  Watch German or French TV and get entirely different perspectives reported on the same news / same issues.

Just as predicted in '1984', the government also now monitors the conversations in the homes of people with voice-controlled TVs,  and the govt. constantly monitors our position/location via the  always-ON   GPS chips in our phones.  

People who may doubt this can notice   how our cell phones  stop working   precisely within just a few feet  of the US/Mexican border   24 hrs a day, 365 days a year.  

So,  unless you take the battery out of your phone    and unplug your smart TV,   Big Brother really is watching and listening to almost every move you make

...  which are perspectives that make the temporary short-term scanning of emails for   one (1) word ... look pretty trivial ?

;)

5 hours ago, bennie2 said:

they locked me out. i cannot rejoin because i dont have a mobile phone. they no longer have the live chat option. yahoo was hacked several years ago. all these services are corrupt, they are mega corporations. hotmail was bought by google & has not operated properly ever since.

Yes, you can rejoin... only an alternate email is required. I don't agree that all these services are corrupt. I do agree that probably most mega-corporations are corrupt, but then the dictionary definition of corrupt no longer holds. Hotmail was not bought by Google. That would be big news.

6 hours ago, snowyco said:

The part I find creepy is when I communicate with Amazon or Ebay or mention a product in emails using Gmail,  then ads for those same products then start appearing when I go onto Facebook or other programs.

This is an advertising thing... the online retailers ad association recently admitted they have done a lousy job by p***ing off almost everyone with their pop-under and -over ads, and in particular the tracking of ads to then serve associated product ads wherever you might go on the Weeb. Apparently it took brain science to figure out that just because you bought shoes at Amazon, you may not be interested in seeing shoe ads for the rest of your life. They are now working on "different methods".

4 hours ago, mattoleriver said:

Are all of Yahoo's security problems linked to Yahoo Mail specifically or does the  problem exist more broadly with Yahoo membership?  

I subscribe to several Yahoo Groups and need a Yahoo membership for that. I do all of my emailing through other email services that are unrelated to Yahoo. The only mail that passes through my Yahoo Mail box is unsolicited so I don't really care if I even have their email service.

Do I need to completely sever any connection to Yahoo to avoid their ongoing lapses in security? Can I continue my membership in various Yahoo groups without constantly exposing myself to hackers, Big Brother, North Korea, Russian Mafia,...?  

As far as I know, that particular hack (there have been many others, never addressed by Yahoo in public) was 500,000 accounts, whether they be email or otherwise. To get onto a Yahoo group, you need a Yahoo account, right? That account can be used for email, groups, whatever.

Guest bennie2

computerguy, they send a verifcation code via alternate email but it never works. they no longer have the live chat. i didnt writedown my password or send it to my other mail accts. i dont have a mobile phone to rejoin. they can go to hxxl. they assume the world has a cell phone. if i had one i wouldnt give my number anyway unless it was crucial to get in to acct. go to google & type in trouble w/yahoo. it is worldwide. some people cant get in even with their password. WRONG: its was 50 million accts that were hacked in '14.

Guest bennie2

I GOT IN! this time when i tried the "i do not have a recovery email" option, they asked me my security questions. (instead of mobile phone number). then they let me in, made me change the password. same password i use on some other things. you have to keep trying, the site is defective. now i can read all my online suscriptions.

Site is not defective, just overly protective. And you are one of the very lucky few who actually rememberd the security questions. (And yes, an alternate email always works, as long as you can remember that password... I have done it every day this week for people.) The problem with security questions is that when an account is hacked, the offenders often change the security questions, so you will never know the new answers.

Tip: when creating security questions and answers, make sure you write them down. And never provide more than single-word answers. If the question is "first grade teacher", either pick a different question of put "Lily" or "White", not Mrs. White or any combination. If the question is "where married", and you have Las Vegas, try a different question. If you have Belfast, that's fine. Why? Because answers test for capital letters, spaces, punctuation, every damn thing that you could get wrong.

Archived