Chapala.com Webboard

Insurance Premium in U.S. Dollars

elpind

My auto and home Insurance will be coming due soon.  All companies I have had in the past have always quoted me in USD's and have wanted a U.S. check for payment.  Can anybody tell me why I am not given a quote in pesos?  I must add I have never asked to pay in pesos since they asked for a check in dollars.

For years we have paid our house, vehicle and medical insurances with a credit card in US Dollars.  The AXA policies, in Spanish, have premiums in USD in the total column.  Last year we took out two policies on a friends behalf with the same company AXA and indicated we didn't want those on our card and the agent could pick up the premium.  Those policies were written with MXN premium amounts. 

Just tell them to write it in pesos.  They probably figure you want it in USD.

It is almost always better to pay in the correct currency.  What exchange rate are they using?

Just reserved a beach house priced in CAD.  Owner wanted to charge me $25 more on the exchange rate if I paid in dollars instead of routing it through my CC and paying him directly in CAD.

We pay our car insurance in Pesos.  It is a lot cheaper here for a comprehensive policy than NOB.

Archived