Chapala.com Webboard

Severance to reduce employee hours

eagles100

I checked old threads and found one from 2012 but it didn't include any law.

I'm looking for a law on calculation of severance to pay an employee to reduce his/her hours.

Should this be done via a notary? I'd like to know the amount before making a decision on reducing hours. 

Thanks

You can reduce hours but not pay. Legally sever the employee and pay the full finiquito. Rehire the employee at the new hours and pay scale. Now you are starting all over again and if you have them sign the proper form you will not have future problems. Anything else and you are asking for an informed worker to see you at the Labor Board. Do it right and have no worries.

At the link below you can calculate the finiquito for your employee as it stands currently. Then do as pappysmarket is suggesting by rehiring the employee under different conditions.

Depending on how long he/she has been in your employ, you may decide it is better for you economically AT THIS TIME to not reduce hours. However, you will always have the finiquito obligation; it will just be down the road and not now. And the total amount will continue to increase. 

http://rollybrook.com/employee-pay.htm

Archived