Chapala.com Webboard

Food Lake Container

5Jacks

I went for lunch and tried everything. Well, not quite. I skipped the sushi; for the most part, it was rolls, and every roll had--or was covered in--Philly. This to me is not a proper ingredient in sushi, and yech. (Sure, I could have asked to have it removed, but that's what's on their menu, and they were very busy.)

I had the Crispy Teriyaki chicken dish. It came with a very large ladle of properly-cooked white rice. While I was internally bemoaning the non-uniformity of the pieces of chicken, I realized two things: there was a TON of chicken, and it tasted pretty good. Not the best, but nothing to complain about. And cheap for the amount.

I had a hot dog. I love hot dogs. You can get any or all of six toppings, so I opted for panela and bacon; it comes with diced tomatos and mustard standard. This is a loaded dog for $45p, and it would have been really good if the weiner wasn't that offal (no pun intended) Fud brand. But Mexicans seem to love those things, so most people will be pretty happy. Sadly, the side of "chips" was just that: a handful of crisps.

I got a steak and shrimp sub to go; I didn't look at it until I got home.  I am totally impressed. For $85p, this is the biggest sub I've seen anywhere around here: delicious seeded bread, and jam-packed with really really good arrechara and huge shrimps. Could not believe my good fortune. I think Subway has longer buns, but not by much, and they are not nearly so bountiful with the stuff inside.

Soft drink was 20p, fair these days, I guess. Limonadas were 25; can never figure that out. When I arrived, the place was quite full: five tables of people, including one lunch-ladies band of 8 or so. I asked the waitress, who was prompt and pleasant, if maybe I should come back later? (Often, depending on when your order goes in, you can get stuck behind a long line of dishes.) But she said no, and she was right: I guess with the extra number of cooking stations, that really helps. The two waitresses were being run ragged, and I was in and out in 45 minutes... very happy.

They have hamburgers and a variety of other dishes, plus Asian soups, onion rings (maybe real fries?) and things. Didn't notice any salads, but I was looking to be sated. I will have to go through the items to see what sticks out (like that sub, of which they have a large variety).

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Ms Chillin had the super sushi roll there, it was huge, all the condiments too. She said this was the best sushi she has found so far in Mexico.

There were so many sushi rolls on the menu, I didn't notice that one. Did it have (ahem) Philly in it? And what made it super... the size?

It was the most expensive roll, at 95 pesos, it had a bit a good quality cream cheese, which I think really worked. The rice is often the make or break of sushi. It was loaded on top with slivers of shrimp/prawns. As I have said before, many restaurants, especially "foreign food" types, have a lot of difficulty sourcing raw materials. Whoever cooked this meal, really knows their way around taste buds, and manages to keep the prices down. I have never had the Superlake ladies sushi, I'm sure it is very good, But it is one thing to find a sushi worthy piece of seafood for one day. It is totally another when it has to stick on a menu all year round. I am going to give them some wasabi sprouts - they would be amazing on sushi dishes.

I didn't see any sashimi on the menu, so my guess is they are sticking to what they can source, as you say. And sushi rice is the determining factor. I saw a doc on a small place in Japan where the rice cooks do nothing but load the pots and bamboo stackers, and flavour the rice, for two years. Rice that is basic-staple rice is not good for sushi, and rice that doesn't have some type of sushi wine in the cook is not worthy. Here, we make do, but the ladies at the market (they stopped SuperLake now) do it the correct way. If they can, so can everyone else. But, like the hot dogs here, that hasn't been the group experience in Mexico, so we live with it. Wasabi sprouts sound brilliant... did they provide wasabi paste and ginger slices?

did they provide wasabi paste and ginger slices?

Yes they did. I went back 2 days in a row couldn't get enough.

Tried 2 different rolls which I thought were quite good. Wished they had spicy tuna rolls.

I'm not use to cream cheese either but seemed to work and don't want to go all the way to Guad.

I was there yesterday for the first time.  Ordered the ribs with salad.  It was nicely presented. Was served with corn on the cob.  Ribs were quite good as they were not smothered in a gooey sauce as many places do.  It was probably prepared with a rub of some type.  Meat was tender, salad fresh and corn fresh as well.  Had to ask for butter.

I had a glass of orange juice with it.  Juice was watery, but I think this is typical here.  I have not had a good glass of orange juice since we've been here.  Also, I thought 25 pesos was expensive for a glass of juice.

Overall, the meal was quite good, service good.  Of course, I was the only customer in the restaurant at the time.

I think the name of the place is terrible as well.  It gives a vision of take out boxes, not a representative of what they serve.

I thought the menu was a bit confusing with so many different types of food.

Not great

Early Friday evening not busy

Tried the orange chicken, poor food prep veg ranged from tiny and over cooked to large and raw. Rice dried out a solid lump. Did not appear freshly cooked more reheated.

Great list of beers advertised but my choose was out of stock, no draft and a little expensive 60p

Good idea but not a good location most people will have to drive there.

Well - I can't keep Ms. Chillin away from the place (nor would I dare try). She likes that crunchy roll with eel sauce. I agree the California rolls with cream cheese do not work. I had the burger with fries, both were excellent. I think the fully filled burger was 90 pesos, the fries another 35. I bring this up because unless the waitress warns you, the burgers are grilled properly (IMHO) char/seared on the outside and pink, not red, not running juices, on the inside. This is important to me, because I probably order a burger every three months. If you like well done, brown/gray all the way through, you have to warn the cook in advance. I think the concept and delivery are great. It is like visiting a circle of five food trucks (including the well stocked bar) with a common area and clean wash rooms. Go while the staff is still enthusiastic and eager to please.

On 10/9/2016 at 4:49 PM, suegarn said:

To the moderators.......this is supposed to be a thread about the Food Lake Container restaurant.  Some people have turned it into a discussion about trash in other parts of town, nowhere close to this restaurant.  Can we please get these off-topic posts removed, or moved somewhere else?

I agree.  This is totally off topic.  Please move this to another topic.

Yes, when we were there last a couple teachers from a private school showed up, with about ten young girls. There is a play area for children and they seemed to find it delightful. What I noticed is that the teachers, and many of the girls, washed their hands at the "sanitary station", before eating - but have never seen gringos using it. Just saying.

Orange Chicken?  I had to look that one up, and I have tasted every type of Chinese food available, mostly Cantonese I admit Orange chicken is unknown in China. Lemon Chicken is well known, but this a fruit (generaly) unknown in China, but there are many alternative cuisines. I don't know if food container even care about his. This menu  item must go. I have heard of items which must go. That is the beauty of this situation, 4 food trucks and a cheap bar.

Tangerines and oranges are New Year symbols in China; mandarins are everywhere, and I have recipes for "orange chicken". Oranges, apparently, originally came from China. In the Dominican Republic they are actually called chinas.

Archived