Chapala.com Webboard

Gaoline station Riberas

Alfa

Driving through Riberas this morning I decided to stop and fill up the tank with gasoline. I drive a car with a 50 litre tank capacity and a warning light that comes on when the level drops below 10 litres. The light had NOT come on when I stopped at the station. According to the pump,it delivered 51.557 litres at a cost of 763 pesos. I wonder if anyone else has had this experience? One time I coasted into a station after running out of gas and they filled the tank with 51.3ltres.

Last time I went there I asked for 500 pesos of magna. They stopped the pump at 400 and came and got my 500 pesos and started to walk away. I looked at my guage and the one they had originally set at 500 and said I wanted what I paid for. He started the pump and put the other 100 pesos in my tank.

Be careful and pay attention!

7 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Gas pumps are quite sophisticated pieces of equipment, not easy to tamper with.

Usually when they cheat you they don't Zero the meter.

It is much easier to check that the meter is at zero before they start pumping than report them to the PROFECO.

I wish this was true. Many meters are altered. You can find on YouTube videos where you can see they don't give complete liters or they fill up more liters then the capacity of a car which happened to me too once.

Once every year or something like that they release a blacklist of stations with altered meters. That is a pretty long list and then still there are stations missing because they knew they were coming to check.

53 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

ednet94 is right. There are at least a thousand gas stations all over Mexico on Profecos black list. It has nothing to do with not starting the pump at zero.

Can show us any links to your claim that over a thousand gas stations are on the Proecos black list..  Or Url's to ednet94s claim that there are videos on Ytube on how to jig gas pumps..... 

I would like to know if they rig the the gas pumps for everyone or do they do as the customer pulls up to the pump...  Could you explain how the do it.. ?  

After driving for almost ten years in Mexico I have been cheated at the gas pump many times .. but it was because they distracted me by trying to sell me oil or a gas additive .. So I couldn't see the pump was at zero..

just a point they don't sell gas by the gallon in Mexico .. We use liters here, so you have to convert and make sure you get the math right....

I don't like to post facts without out being able to provide the source of the facts.

So I am not stating this a fact, just a educated guess on my part.. 

I am guessing there around one hundred thousand gas stations in all of Mexico, so if only one thousand are on the PROFECO black list that's is only one percent.. So does that mean ninty nine percent of the gas stations are OK..  ? 

9 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

I don't like to post facts without out being able to provide the source of the facts.

So I am not stating this a fact, just a educated guess on my part.. 

I am guessing there around one hundred thousand gas stations in all of Mexico, so if only one thousand are on the PROFECO black list that's is only one percent.. So does that mean ninty nine percent of the gas stations are OK..  ? 

I wouldn't assume that.  Reportage of crime in this country is really low.  We don't know if the locals know about short pumping and avoid while not reporting or if the station is honest.  Best guide is knowing what your tank holds for a given start level.

Same is true of propane.

17 hours ago, El Saltos said:

They are ALL franchise operators.  PEMEX is their sole source of supply.

although what you say is true there is much more to this story. a few years ago several pemex stations were "out of gas" and closed. the reason? tankers delivering the gas could not show a factura that showed they had purchased the gas from a pemex faciliy so their pipas were confiscated. other drivers in same situation would not deliver gas and take that chance until the heat went down. where did they get the gas? from illegal pipelines run by ? this is where the real money is, not shorting you on gas at the pump, that's just the local guy taking his cut....

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I wouldn't assume that.  Reportage of crime in this country is really low.  We don't know if the locals know about short pumping and avoid while not reporting or if the station is honest.  Best guide is knowing what your tank holds for a given start level.

Same is true of propane.

That is exactly right you take care of yourself.  When you pull up at the gas pump you know approximately how much gas your tank will take, and you make sure that  the pump is zero before he starts pumping... 

For people from the US try and work out what you tank holds in liters ...

We have 2 vehicles and put gas in about once a week we have never had any problems at the station in Riberas, they are nice and they always Zero it out, since we ask for a certain amount.

1 hour ago, hensley said:

We have 2 vehicles and put gas in about once a week we have never had any problems at the station in Riberas, they are nice and they always Zero it out, since we ask for a certain amount.

Zeroing it out doesn't get around the problem of shorting you of gas.

The Mex. Gob. uses a 20.0 Liter standard calibrated container to check whether the amount of gasoline pumped matches the liters amount shown on the display.

Sometimes the inspectors fill two of the 20.0 liter containers to check if the pump display reads 40.0 liters.

Conclusion:  Order either 20L  or 40L  to get the actual amount of gasoline you are paying for.   This avoids the problem of computer-programmed short-pumping.

The short pumping scandals started in the USA, with US gasoline stations installing special *cheater* circuit boards in their pumps that short-pumped, delivering less gasoline than displayed.   Similar to Mexico,  the electronics+computer techs making the *cheater* boards set up the boards to deliver the correct amount of fuel only at the size of the standard-calibrated containers used by government inspectors.

The amount of extra $$ that franchise owners in Mexico is so big from short pumping,  it's too big a temptation to  install the cheater boards, which explains why so many franchise owners install them.

1.  Check for all zeros.
2.  Check that the attendant shuts off the pump only when the  amount of gasoline  you request&pay for  is shown on the pump display
3.  Order exactly 20L  or 40L to stop the franchise owners from preprogrammed cheating short-pumping.

If the 20l and 40l thingy was true, then Mexico would have no stations on the "bad list". However, there is a LONG list of bad stations. Make your own decision.

Archived