Chapala.com Webboard

Police Update

HarryB

A year ago we posted about the police needs. What has happened since?

The police force (Local not state transit) is increased to 150 from 60.
They started last october with two trucks, now they have 14 trucks, the motorbikes have been increased (don't have a number) from one and a dozen new mountain bikes.
We found a certified shooting instructor and offered training.
We started english classes for the force.
We got them another computer and had others serviced.
We got the municipal Tech office to come to them.
Last christmas we got 43 dispensas (food boxes) for the rank and file

I will be collecting again this year for Christmas dispensas

When Harry says 150 police, that does not mean 150 police working daily, that just means that 150 police are currently serving on the force and they are spread out all over the municipality of Chapala, and I don´t think many people realize how large our municipality is, it covers 6 main towns not just Chapala and Ajijic, there is also Santa Cruz, San Nicolas, San Antonio, and the often forgotten Altotonilquillo which is oddly located in the vicinity of Ixtlahuacan de los Membrillos. The municipality of Chapala also holds 37 localities or small communities in total. The police are spread out in each community, and I wonder if the 150 also includes the policia turistica that you see on the different malecones of the area.  If you divide that number in half for two shifts, that would be just 75 covering all 6 towns and 37 localities at any given time. I honestly don't know how their shifts work or really how many shifts there are or how many officers are on stand by in case of emergencies.   

I would like if info on the Policia was more public.  Who is the current Commandante?  What is his cell phone number.  In years past we knew these things.  Now nada.  Also, have these new cops been vetted?  Remember we lost many a couple of years back (including the Commandante) because they could not pass the test!

18 minutes ago, Oldyfeliz said:

Is this the same Commandante that had the telephone conversation promising to "call off" the Police on the "Narcos"??  The Narcos would be well protected if Chapala increases "Police Personnel" to these numbers....

It was never proven that it was the comandante.  The rumor on the streets of Chapala is that it was the vocero in the Palacio Municipal or possibly someone else in the gobierno.  But this should be debated in another thread.

3 hours ago, Oldyfeliz said:

Is this the same Commandante that had the telephone conversation promising to "call off" the Police on the "Narcos"??  The Narcos would be well protected if Chapala increases "Police Personnel" to these numbers....

The state attorney general said that that conversation was with a member of the uniformed state agency known as Fuerza Única. What is being discussed here is the municipal police.

5 hours ago, carcamal said:

The state attorney general said that that conversation was with a member of the uniformed state agency known as Fuerza Única. What is being discussed here is the municipal police.

IF You can believe any of these "Narco Employees"..   I listened to the taped phone  conversation , AND, definitely got the belief that the Narco Jeffe was talking to thr Commmandante of the CHAPALA Police..New news to me that the Fuerza Unica has power over the Chapala Police

6 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

More importantly, this is Mexico, so you are guilty until you prove your innocence. So, has he proved that it was not him?

Actually the law has changed and the Napolionic law no longer applies

The proper title is Director of Public Safety. Commandante applies to the Transitos. I didn't space the post as shown. It doesn't seem to help the comprehension of some?

3 hours ago, dave0415 said:

Actually the law has changed and the Napolionic law no longer applies

You wish !  Tell that to all the innocent people in Mexican prisons !

Better yet, show us all some proof, as in specific laws that have been passes. !

" In 2008 Mexico’s congress passed a constitutional amendment that mandated a nationwide overhaul of its court system. It set a deadline of June 18, 2016." This includes the concept of adverserial trials, wherein previously closed-room lawyer/judge presentations are replaced by open-court arguments. As we know from recent news reports, even here courtrooms have been redesigned to provide this kind of trial (not by jury, buy by judge).

Reports indicate that the are many flaws and loopholes in the new laws, and that nothing is being done to address internal corruption. Whether or not we can actually say this is the end of "guilty until proven innocent" as a concept, remains to be seen. And it does nothing to address those already in prison.

http://www.economist.com/news/americas/21700682-right-reform-has-been-introduced-perfecting-it-could-take-years-trials-and-errors

http://www.fronterasdesk.org/content/10297/mexico-brink-transforming-its-justice-system

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

The proper title is Director of Public Safety. Commandante applies to the Transitos. I didn't space the post as shown. It doesn't seem to help the comprehension of some?

In the past we had a Commandante and a Sub-commandante.  Regardless, who are they and what are their phone numbers?

• 2 weeks later...

the title commandant refers to the traffic cops. The municipal title has always been Director. He has an assistant who is always a lawyer. This admin has had two Directors and atleast three assistants I know of.

The cops were on 24 hour duty at the beginning, but, that has been improved. I don't know to what. I think 12 hour shifts.

The 2008 law allowed police more power. Recent Human Rights Laws took it away again. 

If you want names and numbers just check the municipal website

Archived