Chapala.com Webboard

Not so "trustworthy"

I hope the worker that was in my house Friday is enjoying my cellphone or the dinero that you got for it!  You know who you are.  I trusted the source that recommended this fellow and he actually did a good job on the task but I was careless in leaving my cellphone on a kitchen counter (that was not close to where he was working but he so kindly walked the empty glass that I served him ice water to the kitchen sink).  I had just gotten off my phone so he knew where it was.  I had turned my back for a few seconds.  Always vigilant! 

So sorry to hear this!  If it's an iPhone, it has a feature "find my phone" where you can locate it.  It can also turn off the phone so the thief cannot use it.  Android phones may have this feature as well.  Worth checking on.

Valerie :)

Beware of those who have hearts bigger than brains. 

Go and get it! Take a friend or two with you. We actually recovered a stolen iphone that a visiting friend accidentally left on a park bench at the Ajijic Plaza. She knew exactly where she left it and when we returned there were two sweet little old local señoras in their 70's occupying the bench who had never seen it even though its location was shown as that bench. We walked around trying to figure out how to handle this diplomatically, if possible.

Then it started moving onto the side streets off the plaza and we started following it to several places, when it finally stopped moving. We located it inside a house and banged on the door. A man came to the door and told us to go away or he would call the police. We set the ring off on the cell phone and could hear it inside. So could he. He invited us in and the cellphone was in a bag next to a box of milk on his couch. Sheepishly, he returned it and said his mother in law just dropped the milk off and left.

Thanking him, giving him a gratuity for his honesty, we ran back to the plaza just in time to see his mother in law, one of the two sweet little old ladies, taking her seat on the park bench again, looking a little frazzled and out of breath.

She knew she had been caught and said nothing as we loudly called her out in the middle of the Ajijic Plaza so that everyone could hear. Then we left with cellphone intact thanks to that app that we had downloaded at no cost.

Some time ago I read an article that said cell phones are now the most often stolen items in Rome, surpassing passports. Not as well guarded and easier to fence. 

Also the police will get involved with a passport and only say sorry about a phone.

Hmm, daring to taunt us are you Maincoons? I guess I will have to look forward to the day your flip phone dies, and it will, and you will be faced with the torture of upgrading :-) 

For me, the day they invented the smart phone was liberation day for me. It freed me to get out and about from behind the office desk. My office now travels with me wherever I go,  and I can "close the office" whenever I want. I now get more exercise, see more of the sun, when it decides to come out, I see more of my friends and I stay completely up to date at all times. A simple delight.

1 hour ago, Semalu said:

Hmm, daring to taunt us are you Maincoons? I guess I will have to look forward to the day your flip phone dies, and it will, and you will be faced with the torture of upgrading :-) 

For me, the day they invented the smart phone was liberation day for me. It freed me to get out and about from behind the office desk. My office now travels with me wherever I go,  and I can "close the office" whenever I want. I now get more exercise, see more of the sun, when it decides to come out, I see more of my friends and I stay completely up to date at all times. A simple delight.

No, I'm fighting it out with Gringal for the title of Lakeside Leading Luddite, thank you very much.

This is a hard fight.  Rumor has it her cell phone looks like this:

Image result for picture of old wall phone

I didn't even get a cell phone until two years ago and only after being nagged about it.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

No, I'm fighting it out with Gringal for the title of Lakeside Leading Luddite, thank you very much.

I didn't even get a cell phone until two years ago and only after being nagged about it.

I'm with you on this one Mainecoons....      and my granny had a phone just like that in her house at the farm.... remember it well!    Techno-dino and proud of it! Natasha

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Now, that is the cell phone that I remember using as a kid. One long crank for the operator, who replied with, “Number, Please“.  We could crank the  code for the number of any of our neighbors on the same line. I even rember our number: 11F2.  Oh, it was a cell phone because there are two dry cells inside the oak box, and a very nice multiple horse-shoe magnet affair to generate the ringing signal when you turn the crank. They were very reliable.

Thanks for giving us all a reminder to "ojo" when someone is in the house that we don't know well. I, too, can be overly trusting because I'm generally enjoying life. Sometimes people elicit nothing that hits our intuition to be on guard. very charming and slick some are...

a long time ago same thing happened to my keys when a worker was in the house and of course someone used the keys to get on the property..good thing I have a double set of doors and the set of keys for the second doors was not stolen or those guys  would have walked right in.

Please beware I have a brother-n-law which uses my name and is a .......his name is Autruro. beware....He may use my wife's name Sara the nurse or my name. He has been   run out of Joco.. He speaks good English and drops my name often.  

This may be an urban legend - gas station owner has a small pile of loose change on the counter, all glued together. Hooked to one end of a twelve volt battery, the other end of the battery is hooked to metal grid, where you have to stand to reach the coins. Zappo! Pain, and a small dose of humiliation. Construction workers, with access to extra strength epoxy, often glue coins to the sidewalk- watching a well dressed business man, desperately struggling to pickup the $2 dollar coin. Priceless! The best performance I saw, four cunning bandits (their definition, mine is strung out meth heads) all packed in a four door compact car, trying to fit their stolen 30 foot long, 4" diameter copper pipe into the vehicle. Comedy Gold! The dishonest and cheap can be a lot of fun - if you are controlling the game. Always control the game.

20 hours ago, Al Berca said:

Go and get it! Take a friend or two with you. We actually recovered a stolen iphone that a visiting friend accidentally left on a park bench at the Ajijic Plaza. She knew exactly where she left it and when we returned there were two sweet little old local señoras in their 70's occupying the bench who had never seen it even though its location was shown as that bench. We walked around trying to figure out how to handle this diplomatically, if possible.

Then it started moving onto the side streets off the plaza and we started following it to several places, when it finally stopped moving. We located it inside a house and banged on the door. A man came to the door and told us to go away or he would call the police. We set the ring off on the cell phone and could hear it inside. So could he. He invited us in and the cellphone was in a bag next to a box of milk on his couch. Sheepishly, he returned it and said his mother in law just dropped the milk off and left.

Thanking him, giving him a gratuity for his honesty, we ran back to the plaza just in time to see his mother in law, one of the two sweet little old ladies, taking her seat on the park bench again, looking a little frazzled and out of breath.

She knew she had been caught and said nothing as we loudly called her out in the middle of the Ajijic Plaza so that everyone could hear. Then we left with cellphone intact thanks to that app that we had downloaded at no cost.

What an astonishing story! It amazes me that you could track your own stolen phone all the way to the door of its drop off point. I'm still trying to master my Galaxy III  and feeling dumber by the minute as I try to figure out the simple things, like making a call. Receiving one bewilders me. 

Lexy

Good to know those phone trackers actually do work, but I know sometimes they don't. This summer when I was in Canada, a woman knocked on the door of my daughter's house where I was staying one morning, she had a cell phone in her hand and said she had lost her other phone the previous night and that it was tracking to my daughter's address, which she showed me on the screen. I asked her where she had lost it and she named some sleazy bar downtown. I assured her that no one at the house was at the bar- my daughter and husband were at a wedding reception at a private residence (they would never go to that kind of bar anyway), the 15 year old was at work and her boss drove her home and the 11 year old was home with me.

I bought one of those wristwatch things from China for $35.  It was useless but someone saw it and wanted to buy it so I offered to let them try it for a week and if they liked it pay $35.  It was back in 3 days.

Next I gave it away but it returned again.

My 3rd time I gave it away but only on the condition that if it came back, $35 came with it. Haven't seen it since.

I'd do the same thing with my cell phone except it makes a dandy bedside clock.

Archived