Chapala.com Webboard

Downpour in Chula Vista

Biggest rain in six or seven years in Chula Vista. The house in Chula Vista often floods in the back room, but not all the way to the front of the house. Anyone else experience this, or was it one of those isolated downpours?

Am I the only one here who is ready for the rainy season to taper off?

September was another unusually wet month and last night we got almost the entire average for October.  And still the lake hasn't reached the level of last year.

Where is all this water going?

The current Lake Level is 95.12 metres, at this time last year it was 94.88 metres. That is where all the rain has gone. At least some of it. The majority of water comes from the River Lerma not from local rainfall.

So it looks to me that we could have another 20-25 centimetres to go. BUT if we look at the same performance as last year, the rise in water level was 1.45 metres which when added to the 2016 low means we have a lot more to go. It could mean the lake could go as high as 95.57 or another 44 centimetres.

Looking at the lirios on the lake they appear to be letting more water from the Lerma river dams, so who knows.

Want to start a maximum lake level pool?

Yup, we have a standing pool in the side yard, as the ground is saturated, I threw some Chlorox in it, hoping to prevent mosquitoes from hatching, and I also threw another chlorine tablet in the fountain, which I run for a while every day. Stagnant water in fountains here are a big source of mosquitoes hatching.

1 hour ago, dave0415 said:

The current Lake Level is 95.12 metres, at this time last year it was 94.88 metres. That is where all the rain has gone. At least some of it. The majority of water comes from the River Lerma not from local rainfall.

So it looks to me that we could have another 20-25 centimetres to go. BUT if we look at the same performance as last year, the rise in water level was 1.45 metres which when added to the 2016 low means we have a lot more to go. It could mean the lake could go as high as 95.57 or another 44 centimetres.

Looking at the lirios on the lake they appear to be letting more water from the Lerma river dams, so who knows.

Want to start a maximum lake level pool?

I don't know, that contest is all wet and I am wet enough as it is! :D

Didn't think to check what the level was on the same date last year.  So we might go up some, good news.  But I really am ready for less rain and more sun!.  I did get lucky on my recent moto trip however as I got through Durango before the floods there.  It was sopping wet from Mazatlan to Magdelena, however.  Amazing green all the way from the Mexico/AZ border to here.

You guys are doing a heck of a job with the rain dance apparently. You got almost the whole month of Oct quota on the first day, way to go. I think it's tapering off some now, the season is basically over, but then again you can always have a passing hurricane in Oct etc that brings a bunch. It's so dry up here at the N station that mosquitoes are buying bottle water to breed in?

You should see the village this morning. Rivers flowing down the streets. La Floresta is flooded as well as parts of Riberas. Mud and rocks near Salvadors. It is a mess out there. My Mexican neighbor said there was a tromba in the mountains but did not know details yet. Her son is a fireman.

From what I saw, it appears the crew there had actually jacked out the four grates to allow the water to run out more easily, down the lateral, while they worked away at repairing everything, including the inlaid rocks around the grates. They were doing a pretty good job of directing traffic... better than the lone transito who was parked there.

Anyway, I guess the responses and my morning drive through town has answered my question: we weren't the only ones. Still, the biggest storm in Chula Vista in many years, and I guess most other places here too.

Last night when I went down to the Chapala malecon to see the fireworks and castillo display, I ran across the voladores de Papantla,  they have set up a pole on the sand next to the pier (actually they have been here for a month maybe two months), well when they were all up at the top playing their flutes, I asked the guy that was going around asking for cooperation or donations from the audience, I told him it appeared that they were petitioning the gods for something, what are they asking the gods for and he said they were asking for more rain to help with the fall harvest. I told him that they can stop doing that now, that we have had plenty of rain already this season. 

We had 3.7 inches in my part of San Juan Cosala. This is the most overnight here since June 2010. Rivers and rocks were running down many of the streets. On the carretera east of Piedra Barrenada it was a mess. A lot of water and rocks coming on to the carretera from side roads. 

The Raquet Club security guards told me that a tromba (waterspout) hit there at 10 last night.

Well I left the garbage barrel out again and it is completely full of water. I drove through upper La Floresta and the river down the center drag has left quite a channel. I think the church may have flooded again too but did not get up that far to see. I drove out to Sayula today via Joco and the waterfalls off the mountains were beautiful. The damage along the stretch was impressive too, including a raging river where the bike path should have been and many of the roads too. I saw mud flows and rock and debris falls and a section of the Joco bpass that may still fail over the next couple of days. The restaurant strip by San Juan Cosala had a lot of mud to shovel but looked like they would be ready to open for the lunch crowd. Cheers to them for that. There will be a lot of tired hombres out there tonight.

My kudos go to all the emergency crews and volunteers I saw working in clean up and on flood control, with and without heavy machinery to help out. I saw a lot of both machinery and pica y pala work going on. Judging by the exhausted mud covered condition of  many I saw, I am guessing they were up most of the night shoveling mud. They did themselves proud today.

I would watch for landslides and rock bursts as things begin to dry out over the next couple of days, but overall The Riberas weathered that system admirably.

Anyone hear anything about Racquet Club?

Archived