Chapala.com Webboard

telcel versus AT&T

HASPER

AT&T data speeds

Screenshot_20161002-134251.png

Ditto what Out1 said. I have both for now. AT&T is supposed to begin wider Mexico coverage this autumn with the launch of additional satelites and they plan to build more towers according to the asesor I spoke with. Didn't find mention of that info on google though. There is a lag between Telcel and AT&T calls, so don't hang up if you don't hear anyone on the other end, their voice will eventually come through -  one of Slims last annoyances to discourage defectors I suppose?

AT&T also offers a wider selection of cell phones to buy at much more reasonable rates than Telcel, deeply discounted when bought with a plan

BTW, If you use your cell phone while traveling, AT&T offers a more seamless service than Telcel. With Telcel you have to pre-advise them you will be traveling and then buy an international service package for phone, text and or data before you go. They did not let me buy it once when I was already out of country. Didn't matter though as the few times I did buy it it didn't work anyhow except for texting and for receiving calls, despite buying a full meal deal. I could not make calls out, recieve or send emails nor could I use internet without a wifi hotspot.

AT&T works seamlessly with no need to advise them of your travel plans and no need to buy any service packages. This worked very well while traveling in the States, but it stopped dead in Canada after 2 days of working well. AT&T has an agreement with Rogers (a major shareholder of AT&T). The asesor said the Rogers system "got confused" by a Mexico IUSACEL  id despite the agreement and automatically blocked me. He promised me they were working on it. Until then, I have a duel sim card in my phone with a Canadian number there (chatr which is pay as you go and you keep your number if you renew at least once every 6mths, renewable online for a minimum C$15).

The thing that I found the most interesting on the other thread was that AT&T had very poor coverage in Riberas. This was proved by a friend the other day...only 1 bar reception. I'm in the market and totally undecided which carrier to go with.

I have putz cell phones right now and thought I'd make do. That is, until my granddaughter made a hotspot for me with her iPhone so I could connect my android laptop to look something up...this in the middle of the woods north of Lake Muskoka in Ontario last weekend. That handy little feature and the camera sold me.

My 

5 hours ago, Semalu said:

BTW, If you use your cell phone while traveling, AT&T offers a more seamless service than Telcel. With Telcel you have to pre-advise them you will be traveling and then buy an international service package for phone, text and or data before you go. They did not let me buy it once when I was already out of country. Didn't matter though as the few times I did buy it it didn't work anyhow except for texting and for receiving calls, despite buying a full meal deal. I could not make calls out, recieve or send emails nor could I use internet without a wifi hotspot.

AT&T works seamlessly with no need to advise them of your travel plans and no need to buy any service packages. This worked very well while traveling in the States, but it stopped dead in Canada after 2 days of working well. AT&T has an agreement with Rogers (a major shareholder of AT&T). The asesor said the Rogers system "got confused" by a Mexico IUSACEL  id despite the agreement and automatically blocked me. He promised me they were working on it. Until then, I have a duel sim card in my phone with a Canadian number there (chatr which is pay as you go and you keep your number if you renew at least once every 6mths, renewable online for a minimum C$15).

Neither my wife or have to notify Telcel when we travel to USA. Great coverage in USA &  Mexico She has $199 plan. I have amigo and they charge my ccard $150 a month.

Archived