Chapala.com Webboard

Security camera and intercom

una

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

I thought you were against anything to do with guns, real or fake.

HA ha. I am Canadian, we do not have guns, although I grew up with a Daisy .177 air rifle, and have fired a 457 hunting rifle, once. We can call the R.C.M.P. or city police (wannabee R.C.M.P) and guess what, they will not even come out if the loss of property is less than $10,000. That's in Vancouver, maybe not true today. No, Mexicans think gringos are bristling with guns. A bunch of yapping dogs is not going to cut it.

I designed some pretty peculiar "security" products in my day, but never could find benefactors to fund them. In the north, almost all low level burglaries involve drugs. I am a great fan of scaring these biological nuisances, who have chosen not to join the rest of our human tribe. Encourage me, and I will tell you more. Haunted houses would be my favourite endeavour, fire proof ones, way above Mexican code. Cheech Marin inherits a Hacienda in Mexico, which turns out to be haunted. He invites his buddy Tommy Chong and the Ghostbusters down to sort things out. After the shoot - party central location for Mexicans and their families all year round, for many years to come. Although Cheech & Chong may be in attends by now!

Chillin, are you from the lower mainland? Our family had a cottage on the "Big" Island and my satellite dealer is still in Duncan. I just came back from up NORTH last Tuesday night. Oh and friends mentioned that their Grandson just received a 22 rifle for his 15th birthday. His family has farm property on North Vancouver Island.

Sorry. I should be talking about my security system; two dome cameras and 5 standard cameras some of which which I provided to the installer that I picked up at Costco.

I love my system. It allows me to see many areas to include the front gate where someone meeting the suspects description rang the bell and told me had worked for me before (he had not) and wanted to come in and talk to me. I then watched him go from neighbor to neighbor. Luckily, no one let him in.

12 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

I hate to tell you this but many Mexicans have a gun in their house. They are not cowed by anyone else who also may have one.

Any of us with the right permit which is not hard to get can have a gun in your house.   The gun will be small caliber and you will not be allowed to carry open or not outside of your house.  Even a single bullet without a permit can cause one to go to jail so be warned!  Old guns can be permitted at the army base in Guad. You can get a temp permit online to carry the gun to the base.  New guns may be purchased from the Armory in Mexico City.   Yes you have to jump thru some hoops but having a small caliber handgun with permit is legal at your registered home address. 

16 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Snowy, I'm sure you think everything you buy is the finest, and coated in gold, but if you read carefully, the OP is not looking for a video security system. .

No the OP was not interested in an alarm system. Never said anything against a video system.  I had the all in one wired camera and intercom systems with two stations one for bedroom and one for inside front door.  It was ok but most of the time the picture was so fuzzy in low light conditions it became useless at night so I went to a video system which have much better cameras for low light. I admit I am picky.  Never did replace the intercom as it was mostly a toy for the kids.  Another advantage of camera system is you can have an extra camera on front of house to make sure nobody is hiding on either side of front door or gate. 

14 hours ago, johanson said:

Chillin, are you from the lower mainland?

Grew up in the north, near Alaska, and for many people, to this day, rely on hunting and fishing for food, not recreation or "sport". Very few police per square mile up there at the time (60's and 70's). This was the major drug conduit into Canada, and then U.S.A. From the highliner fisherman, to native groups, and the trains - so I am told.

You had a lot of trouble at one stage? Didn't you hire a night watchman ?

The one I have is very clear in both visual and voice.  I put it in years ago so I would not have to go through the house and garden to see who was there.  It saves a walk and an an annoyance by vendors and those selling their religion or looking for handouts.  It has also become a security help.

I see or hear who is there by the picture that appears on the box on a wall in my living room.

30 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

You had a lot of trouble at one stage? Didn't you hire a night watchman ?

In 2009 when still writing Tech Talk for the Guad Reporter, someone rang my doorbell Sunday afternoon. I chose not to answer as I was writing my weekly article. Maybe 20 minutes later he climbed over the relatively high fence, entered my house through an unlocked door and robbed me of the cash I had in my wallet and my cell phone.

He was later arrested because of a drug violation, I think Chrystal Meth.  I over reacted and put in a very sophisticated electrical fence and camera system and now also have a security guard, who is also the house sitter when I am out of town 

Archived