Chapala.com Webboard

Extra Laptop Plus

dcarr7861

I will be flying in to the Cancun Airport tomorrow on my way to Playa del Carmen.

I am coming there with the intention of possibly staying for several months (even longer if things are going well). I will possibly be working for my US-based company while I'm there for my income.

I will be bringing two laptops and two external monitors that I use for my work, my clothes and other normal things. Two suitcases and my computer bag will be my total luggage.

I asked elsewhere and it was pointed out that I'm only allowed one laptop for use. But I also see that I can bring additional items if their value is below $500. The two monitors and the additional laptop cost me a total of $175 from craigslist in the past. They are clearly older and worn. Will this be okay? When I leave Mexico I will be going to Florida, not coming back to California. It's not costing anything extra for taking them as luggage on my flight.

What is the best thing to say at customs? I've gotten several conflicting pieces of advice from my local friends that have made this trip before. My intentions are not to mislead or lie in any way but I'm told that if I say what I stated earlier that it could just lead to confusion of some sort.

I'm told not to say that I may be working there even though my company is in the US. I was told to just say that I am vacationing for a few weeks and go from there.

Can anyone please advise me on what you think I should say or do? I just want things to go smoothly, and again, my intentions are pure but I'm told that what I'm doing may be frowned upon for whatever reasons.

Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to shine upon this situation.

We've been flying through the Cancun airport since 1985,  and the Aduana personnel can be difficult there.

We've had both of the common experiences with computer equipment when passing through Cancun customs:
- We have been waved through with no problems at times when carrying a laptop + a Dell  desktop PC + a 17" desktop plasma monitor .
but
- We had an Aduana agent hassle us for 30 minutes over an old, obviously used 40 Gb HDD - worth less than $20 USD.
The Aduana agent insisted that an Hard Disk Drive "esta la alma de la computadora".

My wife is Mexican, and she explained that the old Hard Drive was not worth much,  and that we'd be glad to pay 16% duties on it.   We even had an Aduana Supervisor called over,  and the supervisor agreed that the HDD was a computer...  I finally told them to just keep the HDD.

Based on 30 years of traveling through there,  I'd say it's a 50:50 proposition.

Maybe you cajole them with $$ payments if they object to you bringing them in.

I had them assess me $175 USD in duties on an old Dish Network receiver one time.  I patiently & pleasantly negotiated with them for 35 minutes, and they ultimately relented and agreed to $15 USD.

Do not tell them you are going to work.  They will want to see your work permit.  As long as you are working for a US company there is not problem but Aduana guys are always looking for mordida or think that everyone lies like they do.  Just tell them you are on vacation and don't volunteer anything.  I really try to be honest in all my dealings but sometimes it's impossible with any branch of the govt. here.

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:35 PM, dcarr7861 said:

I will be flying in to the Cancun Airport tomorrow on my way to Playa del Carmen.

I am coming there with the intention of possibly staying for several months (even longer if things are going well). I will possibly be working for my US-based company while I'm there for my income.

I will be bringing two laptops and two external monitors that I use for my work, my clothes and other normal things. Two suitcases and my computer bag will be my total luggage.

I asked elsewhere and it was pointed out that I'm only allowed one laptop for use. But I also see that I can bring additional items if their value is below $500. The two monitors and the additional laptop cost me a total of $175 from craigslist in the past. They are clearly older and worn. Will this be okay? When I leave Mexico I will be going to Florida, not coming back to California. It's not costing anything extra for taking them as luggage on my flight.

What is the best thing to say at customs? I've gotten several conflicting pieces of advice from my local friends that have made this trip before. My intentions are not to mislead or lie in any way but I'm told that if I say what I stated earlier that it could just lead to confusion of some sort.

I'm told not to say that I may be working there even though my company is in the US. I was told to just say that I am vacationing for a few weeks and go from there.

Can anyone please advise me on what you think I should say or do? I just want things to go smoothly, and again, my intentions are pure but I'm told that what I'm doing may be frowned upon for whatever reasons.

Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to shine upon this situation.

http://www.sat.gob.mx/informacion_fiscal/publicaciones/Documents/14_passengers_2014.pdf

Here in English are the rules. It states 1 laptop computer per person without paying duty.

"• Clothing –including bridal
trousseau–, footwear.
• Cleaning and beauty items.
• Items for babies, such as
chair, portable crib, stroller,
walker, among others.
• Two photographic or
recording cameras;
photographic material.
• Three mobile phones
or other wireless
network devices.
• One Global Positioning
System equipment
(GPS).
• One laptop; a copying
machine or portable printer;
one burner and portable
projector.
• A portable DVD reproduction
device, a set of portable
speakers.
• A video game console,
ten DVD discs, thirty compact
discs; three packages of s
devices for any electronic
equipment.

• Five toys, including collection
items; books, magazine and
printed documents.
• A hand toolset with its
storage case, which may
include a drill, pliers,
sockets, screwdrivers,
power cables, among
o thers.
• A device to measure glucose
or a mixed device and their
reagents, as well as medicines
for personalize (you must
show the corresponding
medical prescription
in case of psychotropic
substances).

• Two complete personal
sports equipments, three fishing rods four
surf boards with or without
sail and their accessories.
• Trophies or awards.
• A camping tent and other
camping articles.
• A pair of binoculars and
telescope, two musical
instruments and their
accessories."

Okay, thank you everyone for all the replies and advice.

I packed my two monitors and extra laptop in checked luggage. I even told three people (including the guy at the button that I had them and told him that their value is less than $500 (which it IS and which is the allowance above and beyond your allowances).

Everything went fine. I did get a green light so who knows if it would have been more complicated had it been red. I did not lie to anyone about anything and here I am in Playa del Carmen with my laptops and monitors getting set up and ready to go.

Just for clarification, I flew to California from Florida for one of these working vacations with this equipment. Planning to return to Orlando when I was over California again. I looked into this Mexico idea and it sounded fun. I wanted to bring my stuff to be productive and to not have to buy it again here if not necessary. I'm going back to Orlando whenever I decide to. Could not have left the stuff in California and would not have been worth the cost to ship it back there (Florida).

Thanks again EVERYONE and have a GREAT day!

Archived