Chapala.com Webboard

Kodi box

I have an Amazon Fire box (not stick) that has Kodi installed.

I am very pleased with it.  I just read that Roku is coming out with a range of boxes and their top of the line will have for the first time what Amazon't Fire box has had for quite awhile.

I got first run, still in the theaters, movies as well as oldies, loads of tv channels  with current series but with the ability to go to the beginning of series and run all the shows.

There is also music. 

I have the least expensive Telmex and thus the lowest speed of wifi.  No problem.  I got the Amazon Fire Box because it was built to address slow speed.  I have a Fire Stick as well without Kodi and it works ok but not as well as the box.

I did a lot of research before I decided on getting the Amazon Fire  Box.  The technology was one of the best available.  The technology will get even better as time goes by as "cutting the cord" is a growing option for home entertainment.

There is a learning curve to getting the most out of it but it really is not that difficult.  Fortunately for me I have a savy daughter who talked me through it after I connected it to the tv.

Been using the Firestick with Kodi installed for 8 months and it works well.  

Yes, you can get 1st run movies and all sorts of TV series and it works well, BUT it probably isn't for everyone.  It streams video from a multitude of sources and you must select the source.  Sometimes it can start off great and then the streaming gets hung and you have to select another source.  If you have patience it is great, but if you want to click and have it work right off the bat, you might not like it so much.  

You can put Kodi on a pc, or tablet also, it works on either.

I have been using for two years on android phone , tablet and windows pc. now have android 4k box bought from mercadolibre,. 5  of download. everything available but you need to know where to look. i use wookie build. movies are generaly  great upto 720 hd. . live sports can be a problem unless you go for paid addon such as sportsmania.think costs around uk 50 per year. i have lived without it so far and apart from some buffering problems which are normally due to the suppliers download bandwith and not local issues here. there are many different streamers theres always one thats good.just need to take a few minutes more to ensure good stream before match starts.

considering its free cant complain..all uk, usa  and canadian channels available.sports, documentary news, entertainment etc etc..its not a direct replacement for tv, its not instantaneous, might have to wait 30 seconds or find another stream that works bit of pacience required.

Been an Androin box - Kodi user for over 4 yrs now and it's our only source of television. As a previous user posted it's not for everyone, there is a steep learning curve. If you're looking for an "off the shelf" viewing system then this is not for you. It is completely open source and written by very gifted amateurs. Things to remember re Android box and Kodi:---

The box can die -- have 2

ALWAYS keep current with Kodi version.

Subscribe to kodi and Tvaddons newsletters

Be prepared to think and learn

There is NO manual

Addons come and go...

There is no need to buy addons - all content is available.

The ability to stream is not necessarily dictated by your internet speed but by the the delivering server.. 

Be PATIENT..

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with dgn and barcelonaman been using Kodi with the wookie build on an android box for 4 years now, too (on my 3rd one) I would reiterate DO NOT PAY for content there are people out there waiting and willing to take advantage of you. If you are not comfortable with technology/computers this may not be for you, but if you are willing to learn (theres lots on you tube) its marvellous. I do pay a subscription to Sportsmania to guarantee good streams for my Chelsea games.Latest news on the Kodi forums is that Amazon will shortly block third party add ons such a wookie, Kodi  so don't buy a firestick, firebox!

PS generally speaking you do not need a VPN to access content via kodi/addons builds

Chelski girls. Would appreciate any comments on sportsmania. On the boro web board everyone raves about it. but I am just a bit uncertain regarding the payment method and wether my 5 download speed is sufficient.if our games are on sky or bt no problem using mobdro or wss but when its a dodgy international channel thats seems to be when buffering increases.njm sports is ok with cosmix sometimes but want more reliable stream. Need to take advantage of seeing the boro play in epl this season due to the negative tactics of our manager !

OiOi Chelski? Sportsmania is excellent, I am in the UK at the moment and have 17 download, but have friends who have 4 and have no problem. very reliable streams, rarely if ever buffer, and then only momentarily. The dev puts more servers on line as demand increases. Lots of choices of links so if you very occasionally get a bad one, there are plenty of others. There is a sportsmania Facebook page, so you can see lots more comments there. I wish I had subscribed sooner. The buffering is only going to get worse on the free add ons as more folk get into Kodi. The payment is by Stipe, never heard of it before, but I had no issues at all. I know some people had to call their banks to authorise it first.FYI I have an entertainment box T8v4 with the wookie retro build- Marvellous! Good luck to you smog monsters!

Archived