Chapala.com Webboard

DRIVING VEHICLE WITH MX PLATES IN U.S.

tr_buckaroo

We've never encountered this and just returned from another trip to the Dallas area.  The "road tax" are gasoline taxes and you pay them when you buy fuel.

The Mexican plated car is legal in the U.S. for 6 months when traveling.  After that it must either exit or be imported.  As is the case here, importing a car to the U.S. isn't worth the hassle.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this great thread, wonderful answers here re: driving my mx plated car in US, using my mx drivers license, insurance etc. 

One question I have though is what if I move back to the US and want to take my originally US Honda Element (still have title) back with me? 

10 hours ago, Brandini said:

One question I have though is what if I move back to the US and want to take my originally US Honda Element (still have title) back with me? 

If your Honda was formally Exported from the US and Imported into Mexico and then plated there you can/have to "reverse" that action, at the border, with US Customs Border Patrol. Easy with the right Form... takes maybe 1 hour and you can do it yourself. Then take your title and that signed form to your local DMV to get a new state title.

Archived